Tama Superstar Classic question... Wrap quality?

David Hunter

My summer gig schedule is already filling up, and I'm leaning towards getting a low priced Tama Superstar Classic 3-Piece (22/12/16) to use for the outdoor gigs. I hesitate to use the phrase "beater set", as I've read good things about the Superstar Classics, but for all intents and purposes, that's what they'd be for me. I don't like hauling my good stuff along the oceanfront all summer, unprotected from the elements. Been there/done that. My stress level would be greatly diminished with the Tamas.

So my question is: how is the quality of the wraps? I rather like the looks of the Indigo Sparkle, but I'd hate to see it bubbling up and/or lifting under the summer sun. I read somewhere that it's on the thin side (though it's apparently glued all around the shell), and that's okay with me as long as it's fairly durable. If not, I guess I'll take a harder look at the lacquer finishes, as I know Tama also offers a few. The Tangerine Lacquer and Transparent Black both look quite nice, but it might be kind of redundant for me, as I already have Classic Maple sets in Golden Slumbers and Sable Black. Plus, I've always been a sucker for a good blue sparkle. Any suggestions or recommendations?

I have what you call the transparent black lacquer. I don't know about the wraps.

You'll find the Tama SS more than a "beater" set. The thin shells sing. They're not the best shells for loud rock or anything where you need volume. They excel when tuned to musical notes and you like the sustain to be magical. They're easy to gig because they're feather weight.

Here is my lacquer kit under stage lights (I did change hoops to blonde just for looks).

Tama Superstar.jpg

Assuming the Indigo Sparkle wrap is the same that came on my Silver stars, I can attest that it is thin, that it is glued all around, and unfortunately does bubble up.

I got the Silverstar for the same reason you are thinking - a decent quality beater kit for use on those questionable gigs.

I ended up stripping the wrap off and refinishing the kit. I still have it, and it sounds great for it's intended purpose, but the wrap was definitely the weak point. At least the wood under the wrap was pretty.

I'd get the lacquer if I were you. 😊

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    364.8 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20210301_124413217.jpg
    IMG_20210301_124413217.jpg
    425.2 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20170423_092110_652.jpg
    IMG_20170423_092110_652.jpg
    623.8 KB · Views: 18
Assuming the Indigo Sparkle wrap is the same that came on my Silver stars, I can attest that it is thin, that it is glued all around, and unfortunately does bubble up.

I got the Silverstar for the same reason you are thinking - a decent quality beater kit for use on those questionable gigs.

I ended up stripping the wrap off and refinishing the kit. I still have it, and it sounds great for it's intended purpose, but the wrap was definitely the weak point. At least the wood under the wrap was pretty.

Exactly the intel I was looking for. Thank you, @Stroman.

Was the Silverstar's wrap glued all the way? I wonder if they were built differently than the new Superstar Classics. They are something like 10 years older and the methods and materials could have changed since then.

Hot weather conditions are likely the main cause of bubbling. But would it occur on an outdoor stage in regular 85 degree weather? Or would it only happen if you left your drums in the car with temps approaching 120 degrees?

My guess is that it takes more extreme heat (hot car, attic in the summer) to do this to a wrap, but who knows?

Was the Silverstar's wrap glued all the way? I wonder if they were built differently than the new Superstar Classics. They are something like 10 years older and the methods and materials could have changed since then.

Hot weather conditions are likely the main cause of bubbling. But would it occur on an outdoor stage in regular 85 degree weather? Or would it only happen if you left your drums in the car with temps approaching 120 degrees?

My guess is that it takes more extreme heat (hot car, attic in the summer) to do this to a wrap, but who knows?
Yes, they were glued all around. I was surprised they bubbled, given how long I had to spend with the heat gun to get it off. They were exposed to more cold than extreme heat. Never left in a car outside or anything.

As to different construction now, I can't say. They do use the same name for the wrap, but that's all I really know.

I'd still recommend the drums. Just not the wrap.

My blues band’s drummer has a set of SS Maples and uses it for everything, including outdoor gigs, and it was a few years old when he got it, and its blue sparkle wrap still looks practically new.

If we are looking at it solely from the point of view of "longevity of finish" you have two options: wait for the wrap to inevitably bubble or wait for the lacquer to inevitably get a gouge/scratch.

If we are looking at it solely from the point of view of "longevity of finish" you have two options: wait for the wrap to inevitably bubble or wait for the lacquer to inevitably get a gouge/scratch.
Wraps are always more forgiving when it comes to nicks and dings. I would probably go with the wrap version over the lacquer. Just as long as there is no exposure to extreme heat or cold, I think the bubbling won't be an issue.

14 choices I'd take GNL yo.

Gloss Natural Blonde--yea Jazz

Wraps are always more forgiving when it comes to nicks and dings. I would probably go with the wrap version over the lacquer. Just as long as there is no exposure to extreme heat or cold, I think the bubbling won't be an issue.
I agree with you Lee, but the problem is the summer sun down at the VB oceanfront - it can be pretty unforgiving, as you know. Some of those stages have little to no coverage. Combined with 95*+ heat and humidity, my concern would be a bubbling wrap. I wouldn't fret too much about a scuff or 3 on a lacquered finish though, pretty easy to mitigate, whereas a lifting wrap - even on a $700 set - would make my OCD go crazy, lol.

If I pursue this, I think I'm gonna go the lacquered route. Thanks all.

I agree with you Lee, but the problem is the summer sun down at the VB oceanfront - it can be pretty unforgiving, as you know. Some of those stages have little to no coverage. Combined with 95*+ heat and humidity, my concern would be a bubbling wrap. I wouldn't fret too much about a scuff or 3 on a lacquered finish though, pretty easy to mitigate, whereas a lifting wrap - even on a $700 set - would make my OCD go crazy, lol.

If I pursue this, I think I'm gonna go the lacquered route. Thanks all.
Yeah lacquer.

One of my very first gigs with my SSCs was on an incredibly hot June day (100+), no overhead cover and a white stage that reflected all the heat. The wrap is a dark color on top of that (Midnight Gold Sparkle). I did notice a few places where the wrap bubbled, but this was probably the stressiest stress test I could have put them through. It wasn't a lot of lifting and there's been no subsequent issues.

Last edited:
Just accepted an offer I couldn't refuse. :) 3-pc shell pack: 14x22/8x12/16x16 in Light Emerald Blue Green Lacquer.
Image1.jpg

Please give some feedback on the sound of these... but cut them some slack because they come with Powercraft 2 heads which I assume are Evans cheaper alternative.
I'll be happy to. And those MIC heads will never see a stick mark. ;)

Back