Tama superstar classic or hyperdrive ? Need your opinion...

krishkusuma

Hi to you all.
Firstly, I like to introduce myself to the forum.

My name is Kris, and I would like to ask your opinion, to all you experts.
Which one do you suggest me to buy between these 2 Tama drum kits:
1) Tama Superstar Classic
2) Tama Superstar Hyperdrive (not duo).

I have been playing Roland electric drum so far and now I'm going to move to the acoustic one.
In my country it's very hard to find a drum store which I can test those both kits.
So I have to buy online.

Much appreciated, for your responses.
All keep safe, and keep on rocking!

Reactions: I-P
Starting out on top, are we? ;). No idea as I’m not really up on Tama, but welcome and hope you get it squared away.

I used to have a regular superstar I liked a lot, but really despised the Hyperdrive. The toms were really too shallow, lacked of projection, sounded too high. And the deep 22x20 bass drum was useless.

1) Tama Superstar Classic
2) Tama Superstar Hyperdrive (not duo).
I'd go with the Classic. I like traditional sizes (or close to). I'm neither a fan of short toms or power toms. The Hyperdrive toms, I would consider, only if I was shorter then the 5'6" that I am;). I could see where someone in the 5'0" range might want their rack toms a bit lower (while retaining a 22" bass drum). I'd opt to just play a 20" bass drum, and keep the rack toms traditional sized.

I really like my Superstar Classic Maples.

TSSC_OD03.jpg

Thanks for all the replies...
Makes me sure that Superstar classic is the better option than hyperdrive, and the best part it's more cheaper ..!
So I have more extra money to buy cymbals.

Yeah, hyperdrive toms just don’t sound or even tune right. They’re really one trick ponies and the trick is kinda lame, like a corny joke from an 11 year old.

Joking aside, I get it, it’s a cool thing, but I think 98% of pro and semi pro drummers would just buy a regular kit.
Plenty of pro drummers (more than 2%) using shorter sizes than the regular 8'' or 9''.

If you a short size tom can't be tuned to a proper sound, its about the lack of tuning exprience/technique not the drum itself.

Any modern drum can sound good regardless size, its the personal preference that makes a drummer go for one sound or the other.

Remind me again the dozens, hundreds, perhaps thousands of pro touring and session drummers using hyperdrive toms ?

Man, they were everywhere at that Taylor Hawkins’s tribute.

Last edited:
Remind me again the dozens, hundreds, perhaps thousands of pro touring and session drummers using hyperdrive toms ?

Man, they were everywhere at that Taylor Hawkins’s tribute.
18” bass drums weren’t there either, and you see them all over the place.

That said, I have no opinion on the Hyperdrives, but Chris Whitten has a short stack Noble and Cooley set that sounds great to me. And my band’s drummer has a set of Superstar Classic Maples that are serious good.

Personally I’d go Superstar classic. When I had the Hyperdrive I just thought diecast hoops with shallow Tom’s was a bit of overkill.

I think superstar classic will be more versatile

Tama doesn't list the hyperdrive on their site for the US, so I'm guessing that when the existing stock is sold, that will be it.
They cost a bit more than the superstar classics, so they must have more features (I'm not up on Tama stuff).
But despite that, between those two, I'd go for the superstar classics.

Back