Tama Superstar Classic CL72S 7-piece Shell Pack Demo by Nick D'Virgilio

Tama doing the vintage re-issue thing too? I had original Superstars and loved those! But these are maple. The originals were birch. This is exactly like the DW Design piano black kit minus the free snare drum. But cool.

I'm quite on the fence: I definitely like the toms but the bass drum sounds like someone is closing the door of a Volkswagen T3 Transporter.

30-jahre-vw-t3-transporter-1979-2009-hier-gibt-s-die-bilder-dritte-transporter-generation-feiert-30jaehriges-jubilaeum-23290.jpg

I'm quite on the fence: I definitely like the toms but the bass drum sounds like someone is closing the door of a Volkswagen T3 Transporter.

Kick Sounds Great through my Speakers... but the room can effect this and you have to remember.. The kit has the standard tama heads.. "Power Craft" .. These drums are capable of quite a bit more than what you hear in this vid.

What Nick should do is put these Power Craft heads on all the Dw's .. and then review them.. see what happens. LOL

sounds pretty nice through my 6 driver IEMs, but the only thing that puts me off is the shallower floor toms, i love my 16" depth floor toms, they just sound better to my ears. plus i have to sit a bit lower when i use at 14" depth floor tom.

I like the fact that he plays the drums without muffling and with the stock heads. Of course, Nick would make any kit sound killer, but helps to make its own opinion.
I would cut a hole in the front bass drum skin.
It sounds good for a kit that price. It confirms what I think of the 8" tom.

Last edited:
They start to sound good at the 12" tom. 10 and 8 not good. I'm happy I don't have to play around this around this price point. Been there. Not fun.

Nick never met a kit he wouldn't recommend if he was paid to do so.

Yeah, that's why I like Drummer's Review and Drum Center of Portsmouth's gear reviews more. I don't think Sweetwater has ever said a bad thing about a single kit they've demo'd, but the other two will give you honest pros and cons. DCoP is trying to sell you kits too but they will let you know the strengths and weaknesses of each kit they review.

Yeah, that's why I like Drummer's Review and Drum Center of Portsmouth's gear reviews more. I don't think Sweetwater has ever said a bad thing about a single kit they've demo'd, but the other two will give you honest pros and cons. DCoP is trying to sell you kits too but they will let you know the strengths and weaknesses of each kit they review.
I don't disagree with any of that at all. I like Nick D'Virgilio's demos—which is what they often call them, rather than reviews (although they go back and forth on the terminology)—because while Nick Carter at Drummer's Review is an outstanding player, and the guys at DCoP are also really good, Nick D'Virgilio's playing is simply on another level. So I don't look at his demos/reviews as an objective assessment, merely several absolutely kickass performances beautifully recorded.

They start to sound good at the 12" tom. 10 and 8 not good. I'm happy I don't have to play around this around this price point. Been there. Not fun.
Yes, the small sizes sound hollow. It actually doesn’t sound better than my former Silverstar, which greatly enhanced with G2 Coated and EQ4.

Last edited:
I don't disagree with any of that at all. I like Nick D'Virgilio's demos—which is what they often call them, rather than reviews (although they go back and forth on the terminology)—because while Nick Carter at Drummer's Review is an outstanding player, and the guys at DCoP are also really good, Nick D'Virgilio's playing is simply on another level. So I don't look at his demos/reviews as an objective assessment, merely several absolutely kickass performances beautifully recorded.

I think the way you "use" D'Virgilio's reviews is to actually listen to the sound of the instrument on the video with good speakers or headphones. Think to yourself: With an excellent drummer playing this instrument under pretty optimal conditions, this is what that drum will sound like.

EDIT: I should add, after watching some of this video in particular, that he is clearly dissing the provided heads a few minutes in when he talks about how much better they'd sound with real heads. That's an important part of listening to his reviews: He'll damn things he doesn't like with faint praise by indicating that you can upgrade them later.

I really like and appreciate his videos. He's smart, kind, and positive and he plays his butt off. And he shows the products in their best possible light. I DO wish that he was more critical at times but I don't go to the Sweetwater reviews for that.

Last edited:
I think the way you "use" D'Virgilio's reviews is to actually listen to the sound of the instrument on the video with good speakers or headphones. Think to yourself: With an excellent drummer playing this instrument under pretty optimal conditions, this is what that drum will sound like.

EDIT: I should add, after watching some of this video in particular, that he is clearly dissing the provided heads a few minutes in when he talks about how much better they'd sound with real heads. That's an important part of listening to his reviews: He'll damn things he doesn't like with faint praise by indicating that you can upgrade them later.

I really like and appreciate his videos. He's smart, kind, and positive and he plays his butt off. And he shows the products in their best possible light. I DO wish that he was more critical at times but I don't go to the Sweetwater reviews for that.
Agreed…I think Nick’s playing shows what the gear is capable of. I watch his demos even when I have zero interest in the equipment…just because I’m curious about how stuff sounds.

Just watched the video and think they sound pretty damn good. Even better considering the price point is $1,000 for a seven piece shell pack.
With upgraded heads and some tuning time these would hold up sound wise and do anything I need.

The Design Series is actually better. They have North American maple shells instead of Asian maple .

That is what I would assume... however.. I was surprised at the Tama.. Asian Maple with Krappy-Azz heads.. compared to DW Design with N.A. Maple and USA Remo's... REMEMBER these factors when you listen to the vids.. I think the Tama is slightly taking the prize.. at least in the Sweetwater Studio.

That is what I would assume... however.. I was surprised at the Tama.. Asian Maple with Krappy-Azz heads.. compared to DW Design with N.A. Maple and USA Remo's... REMEMBER these factors when you listen to the vids.. I think the Tama is slightly taking the prize.. at least in the Sweetwater Studio.

The DW heads are still crap. Even the nice ones on their Collectors kits get replaced. My Design kit really improved with coated G2’s on top and clear G1’s on the bottoms. The EQ4 batter head on the bass drum now is way better than what comes on the drum. I even replaced the front reso head. Now I can’t tell the difference between these and my Collectors kit.

The DW heads are still crap. Even the nice ones on their Collectors kits get replaced. My Design kit really improved with coated G2’s on top and clear G1’s on the bottoms. The EQ4 batter head on the bass drum now is way better than what comes on the drum. I even replaced the front reso head. Now I can’t tell the difference between these and my Collectors kit.

Regardless.... still think the Tama takes it.. at least from these vids and what I am hearing.. and the Tama has horrible heads and the asian maple shells.

Back