Tama superstar 6 piece

Tank322

alright so right now i have a tama swingstar 5 piece but i have it set up as a 4 piece because i cant comfortbaly play it as a 5 piece. so this weekend i went to my local music store and i saw this tama superstar 6 piece sitting right in the front and instantly i was drawn to it, from the looks and the setup. i bought my swingstar from this music store and i asked if i could trade it in for a money discount, tomorrow im going to get my drums priced to see exactly how much ill get for them, and i was wondering just how good these drums are, how much better they will sound, and i was a little worried about the tom sizes because i play everything from jazz to metal but my band is more hard rock to metal, so anyone who owns this set or has owned this set let me see your opinions because i want my parents to approve of my purchase

First question is, if you can't comfortably play a 5 piece, how are you going to play a six piece? Second you will do much better selling the drums yourself than trading to the store. They have to low ball you so they can sell it again to make a profit. Put them on Craigslist.

First question is, if you can't comfortably play a 5 piece, how are you going to play a six piece? Second you will do much better selling the drums yourself than trading to the store. They have to low ball you so they can sell it again to make a profit. Put them on Craigslist.

He pretty much nailed everything I would have said.

because the toms are way to big to sit comfortably above my bass drum, also i am going to sell the drums on my own because they offered me only 200$, im talking about this drumsethttp://drums-percussion.musiciansfriend.com/product/Tama-Superstar-SL-Custom-Hyper-Drive-6Piece-Shell-Pack?sku=491350 i dont feel comfortable playing my 5 piece because there to much on an angle due to the tom mount coming out of the center of my bass drum

i dont feel comfortable playing my 5 piece because there to much on an angle due to the tom mount coming out of the center of my bass drum

Oh, I hear that :) Especially with normal tom sizes (12x9, 13x10) sitting on your bass drum, it's REALLY uncomfortable to move around the kit. The Hyper-Drive sizes are soo much better in that respect (8x6, 10x6.5, 12x7, etc.), because you can have your toms so low they're not much higher than your snare! Hyper-Drives are superb kits for the money, I've been looking into one myself, and been debating between a Superstar Hyperdrive and a Starclassic B/B, and I'm not entirely sure the Starclassics are worth the HUGE price difference in Canadian dollars (for some reason Starclassics are ridiculously expensive here).

I say go for it, I'd recommend the SL Custom Hyper-Drives with the lacquer finish, specifically Dark Desert Burst and Custom Titanium Fade, they're absolutely STUNNING.

OK. I thought you meant that the 5 drums made you feel uncomfortable. That makes sense now. You can put the bass drum where you want and have the toms where they fit best.

I have the 5 piece ss sl in satin cherry burst and love them to death..... even my drum teacher ( Mike Johnston youtube giant) was very impressed by the quality at the price point and he told me he really did not like tama. But when i brought a couple into my lesson for tuning he was blown away..... so i say dooooo itttt.... lol

yea i just hope i can get a good amount of money from selling my drums, and sorry for not being as clear with being uncomfortable with playing the 5 piece, and yes the finishes on the drums are amazing like i said when i went into the drum section they had it next to a dw kit and a ludwig kit i think and i immediately looked at the hyperdrive over the custom dw and ludwig kit which was in a very weird finish, never seen it before it was very interesting though

I can relate. I went from a Tama Swingstar to a Six Piece Tama SS Hyperdrive. The difference is AMAZING! I got the set used (2 months, still had the tags and original heads) for $550! Sold my swingstar for $200 (had it for 5 years).

I think you will love the shallow toms as much as I do since I play low and flat.

Let us know how it goes!

sorry for not responding and keepin this updated i went on vacation, but on vacation i realized maybe i should upgrade my cymbals first, what do u guys think and then i thought if i do what cymbal company do i go for i was looking into either meinl or zildjian. for meinl either byzances or mb20 but no matter what if i went with meinl 14in dark hats and for zildjian a customs, any and all help is very much appreciated

For hard rock to metal, the standard formula is heavier cymbals. Paiste Alphas and Rudes, Zildjian Z3s and Z Customs, Sabian AAX. Again, it's not so much what you "should" get as what appeals to you. With a few exceptions, picking the cymbals that sound right to you THEN fitting the style to them will yield better overall results than picking what everyone else does for the genre. I have Zildjian As, A Customs, K Custom Hybrids, Bosphorous Antiques, despite several opinions (not directed at me) that those aren't loud enough to cut through the din for the music I like to play. You'll want to play far more if you please yourself first, trust me... TMITMITMI o_o

i know they are not rock cymbals but i got hhx evo promo pack with 14 hats, 20 ride, 16 crash and 18 ozone crash for 650. I play rock and hip hop and love them......

Back