Tama Stewart Copeland Snare

mike d

Silver Member
I've read some great reviews about this snare, and was looking for something that would compliment my 6.5x14 StarClassic B/B snare, so I just ordered one. I like to keep the B/B tuned kinda low for a nice deep blues/rock pop. I will probably keep the COB tuned higher for that classic Stewart Copeland Police sound, and a little more progressive sound (although I've heard it's pretty versatile so we'll see). One thing I've noticed is that it is spec'd with the following snare mounts: MUS80A/MUS80B. I've seen pictures though where the butt plate is not MUS80B. The one I ordered didn't specify (and no pictures of butt side), so I'm hopping it is the MUS80B. I'd love to here more feedback about this snare.

G

Ghostnote

It's kinda, sort of a copy of the 5x14 Pearl Jupiter snare he used when he was in The Police. Funny Tama never put three beads in the shell...

mike d

Silver Member
So I got the snare today. Opened it up and it had the MUS80A/MUS80B snare strainers that I had hoped for... so far so good. I played with it a little bit, and absolutely fell in love with the sound, then I started looking closely at it and I find a dent in the shell. I look at the box it was shipped in, and sure enough, there is a corresponding split in the side of the box. Well, I went to the web site of the place I bought it from and they only had one more in stock, so I ordered the last one they had, then emailed them and requested a refund for the damaged one. I'm hoping everything goes smoothly. It is a really nice snare. I had ordered a Tama MetalWorks Limited Edition steel snare a few months ago, looking for a similar sound, but when I got it, I was really disappointed in both build quality (non-round shell) and sound (so I sent it back). The Stewart Copeland was definitely a superior drum in all respects, and sounded fantastic. I sure hope the next one turns up pristine.

Skrivarna

It's kinda, sort of a copy of the 5x14 Pearl Jupiter snare he used when he was in The Police. Funny Tama never put three beads in the shell...
Stewart tend to speak fondly both of the original and the copy Tama made for him. This doesn't seem to be a case of just cashing in on a famous name.

Great drum.

mike d

Silver Member
I did a lot of research before choosing this snare, and I realize this is not the Pearl snare played by Stewart on the Police recordings, but I was looking for a metal snare that I could tune higher than my current wood snares (6.5x14 Tama Performer B/B, and 8x14 Tama Superstar birch (#103), and get a little more snap, crackle, pop. The fact that it is 5" deep, and COB, with forged top rim (nice rim shots), and triple flange bottom (more open sound and better snare adjustment), make it a nice choice for sound differentiation for me.

mike d

Silver Member
New snare day (again)! This one made it through shipping intact, and wow, this thing is unique! I'm used to wood snares and haven't really dived into a metal snare for many years. Maybe it's the brass component of COB, but this thing has a ring to it when hit that just seems beautiful, unique, and a shame to muffle. I have some drum dots and played with them, but it just seems to stifle what this drum is about. Well... bottom line is, I'm completely thrilled with this drum, and it fits exactly where I was hoping it would, as a totally different sound from my 14x6.5 B/B wood snare. I'll keep it tuned low and bluesy, and keep this one cranked for it's glorious high snap crackle and pop!

M

Matt Bo Eder

I had the Copeland snare and it totally rocks. Good choice!