Tama Starphonic Limited Edition "Meinl"

Treverer

Hello

Anyone of you who had the chance to play the 2 limited edition Tama Starphonic Snares for Meinl's 60th anniversary? How does the cymbal bronze snare compare to the other metal drums from the same series? And how close is the wooden one to the regular maple Starphonic?

Thanks in advance!

Treverer

Maybe I should elaborate: There are basically no reviews or sound demos for these drums and since I'm currently in the market for both types of snares (and I have reasonable offers for both of them) I try to collect some data ;)

petrez

I have the Limited Edition Meinl Bronze snare, though I have little experience with other bronze snares, so I don't know how much I can tell you on what it compares to. It has a lot of volume and bite, yet still with enough tone to it, less harsh compared with the steel snares, and some of the brass snares I've owned before. I originally wanted a Bell Brass snare though, but couldn't justify spending all the money on those compared to what this one does. It's pretty versatile, but quite loud so I wouldn't personally use it for softer styles than hard rock/metal, to be honest. I prefer to use my cherry wood snare for smaller venues to not be to "owerpowering", but for both studio work and live with a bigger PA/venue, it sounds extremely good, to my ears. Still want a Bell Brass someday, but with this one I don't really have too much missing on that sound, to me at least. And yeah, it's hard to find any reviews on these ones, I think I bought mine in 2013 in Germany, and it was only for sale for a brief year, I think. A clip here of a live recording with that snare, not the best quality but it's something, at least...