Tama starphonic aluminum

steadypocket

Gold Member
Just to really muddy up the waters you might want to check out the Oriollos. Drumcenter of Portsmouth carries them. I bought one from Oriollo and I put the rest of my aluminum snares away. It's the most musical of all of the ones that I own. That list includes LM402s, LM400s and Pearls. The Oriollo is just a world class snare.
Everyone who owns an Oriollo raves about them. I'll muddy the waters as well. My Joyful Noise Luminary is out of this world good. To my ears, even better than my Starphonic aluminum, though the difference in price isn't proportionate to the difference in sound. I find the JN more complex with a fuller sound. Killer drum.

Brian

Gold Member
I would just say that you can't go wrong with any of the mentioned snare drums. I've played the Starphonic aluminum and it's a fine drum with marginally better hardware. Me personally, I love my Ludwigs and have owned several; right now it's a 71' LM400. The throw-off aside (it's functional but can be annoying), it's a great and reliable drum that sounds classic with a variety of tunings.

Muha

Just to really muddy up the waters you might want to check out the Oriollos. Drumcenter of Portsmouth carries them. I bought one from Oriollo and I put the rest of my aluminum snares away. It's the most musical of all of the ones that I own. That list includes LM402s, LM400s and Pearls. The Oriollo is just a world class snare.
I've heard few of this Oriollo drums coz they are a Serbian factory and Im from Croatia. I think they are super drums, but they cost more than Tama starphonic. I think I would get a better re-sale value just coz of the name Tama.
Actually I want a drum that I wont sell ever. This is the reason I will pick an aluminum drum but with best hardware I can get.
I would like a 14x6 or 14x6.5 aluminum with a Trick gs007 throw off but the issue is the beaded shell which dont allow mounting this kind of throw off.

Joyful noise is just way too expencive.

Ludwig has the worst throw off ever made and the imperial lugs are not cast like they used to be. Plus I heard that new supras are not good as the old ones. I dont know why is that.

Yamaha rc is made in china. I dont want to pay that much for a chinese made drum.

Oriollo could work. Maybe I get it insted of the Tama

mandrew

Gold Member
My LM402 has new upgraded P85 throw off which is very good. Much better than old one. Nothing wrong with new P85.
Ditto! Got the new P85 on my new supra and it is the best one they make now. Smooth as butter.

mandrew

Gold Member
I would take the p86 over the new p85... same price
To each his own. I have one of each and the new P85 is smoother, and has less parts to foul up. I have had 2 P86 models, and the little black screws find a way to wiggle out. I have had the throw out fall apart on me while playing. I have resorted to super glue, but shouldn't have to do that. The new throw off seems to have a little less snare "slap" when engaging.