Tama Starclassic Snare Bed and Die Cast Hoops: Design flaw?

TWerner

So I was having some trouble with Snare Buzz and an odd ringing from my son's new Starclassic snare after I tune it, and decided to wax the reso side edges and re-seat the head. While I had it off, I decided to take a look to see what shape the snare beds were. The counter is not perfectly flat, but it's close :

From what I've read, that is a really wide snare bed, and fairly deep. My guess is it is perfect for a flanged hoop, but how does a die cast hoop conform to that? It seems that the drum heads metal rim should actually be built up on the two opposite ends to allow equal pressure to be exerted by a die cast hoop without expecting the hoop itself to bend fairly significantly. Does anyone make a product to let you do that? To put between the drum head metal and a die cast rim, right at the snare beds?

Attachments

TWerner

replying to myself. . .
I think I may have solved the issue with 16 pieced of 1/4 plastic pinstriping tape :)
I started with a 1" piece at each snare bed opening on the inside of the hoop, and got longer until the tape was about 5 or 6" wide. So it creates two arcs that follow the snare bed curve. The head sounds better now. I'll put the snare wires back on later.