Tama Starclassic or DW Performance?

cbphoto

Diamond Member
There's a weird paradox here where use of the search function is encouraged, but the resurrection of old threads is not (to save having to make another thread, a considerate thought)

I can't get on board with that, it makes no sense to me.
Can’t get on board with which? Resurrection or starting anew? (I’m guessing, as an electrician, you’d rather lay new wire).

larryace

"Uncle Larry" - Administrator
Staff member
Can’t get on board with which? Resurrection or starting anew? (I’m guessing, as an electrician, you’d rather lay new wire).
I can't get on board with digs about the resurrection thing. I'm saying right here and right now that it's OK TO RESSURECT THREADS. Omg. Resurrect away. It's done all the time. I just can't understand why someone would get butt hurt over that. That's why we archive threads, for posterity and for resurrection purposes. It's OK really it is.. Some people would rather see them deleted it seems. I'll never understand that.

WHAT is the big problem with resurrecting a thread again? (still looking for a good answer to that) The only thing I can come up with would be the date stamp. How ridiculous is that? Completely.

Darth Vater

I can't get on board with digs about the resurrection thing. I'm saying right here and right now that it's OK TO RESSURECT THREADS. Omg. Resurrect away. It's done all the time. I just can't understand why someone would get butt hurt over that. That's why we archive threads, for posterity and for resurrection purposes. It's OK really it is.. Some people would rather see them deleted it seems. I'll never understand that.

WHAT is the big problem with resurrecting a thread again? (still looking for a good answer to that) The only thing I can come up with would be the date stamp. How ridiculous is that? Completely.
My post was in 50% in jest and 50% thinking the OP had made a decision by now. That's all . Calm down everybody.

cbphoto

Diamond Member
There is no problem, only the self-inflicted shame of not reading the posted date. In some souls, it‘s is so shameful that people call out others for doing it. “OMG WE HAD A PANDEMIC SINCE THIS WAS POSTED. SHAME!

I don’t care about how old a thread is. I do care about responding to someone who is still active in the forum. If they’re no longer participating here then I move on.

yammyfan

I'll admit that it's a minor quibble but the date stamp thing is probably what annoys most people, myself included.

I'm paraphrasing of course but how many of those "I'm looking at two kits on Craigslist. Which one should I get?" threads have we seen where the original post was made in 2010 and then somebody comes along ten years later and answers the OP as if they posed their question that morning? There are more than a few threads like that.

It's the sheer lack of awareness that's the most annoying, I guess. Live and let live, I know, but you asked! 😁

larryace

Staff member
My post was in 50% in jest and 50% thinking the OP had made a decision by now. That's all . Calm down everybody.
I wasn't speaking to the thread at all, just the resurrection thing.
I'll admit that it's a minor quibble but the date stamp thing is probably what annoys most people, myself included.

I'm paraphrasing of course but how many of those "I'm looking at two kits on Craigslist. Which one should I get?" threads have we seen where the original post was made in 2010 and then somebody comes along ten years later and answers the OP as if they posed their question that morning? There are more than a few threads like that.

It's the sheer lack of awareness that's the most annoying, I guess. Live and let live, I know, but you asked! 😁
It's just something that has to be accepted. Everyone has to be allowed to be a newb. Why is the date stamp annoying? I don't understand. They're just alpha numeric characters on a screen.

Great example of a self created problem

yammyfan

Why is the date stamp annoying? I don't understand.
If you're familiar with the Big 5 personality traits, there's a subcomponent of the Conscientiousness trait which is known as Orderliness. People who are high in Orderliness are more likely to notice the lack of attention to detail and be bothered by things being out of place.

I don't presume to know your personality makeup but you might be lower in Orderliness than some which would explain why you truly wouldn't understand how something like that would bother people. That's not to say that you're a slob, at all. We express traits on a continuum. It's not all or nothing so please don't take it the wrong way.

You actually come across as a really friendly, pleasant person. You're probably very high in trait Agreeableness.

Anyway, some people can't help but notice and some people can't help not noticing. I hope that helps.

larryace

Staff member
If you're familiar with the Big 5 personality traits, there's a subcomponent of the Conscientiousness trait which is known as Orderliness. People who are high in Orderliness are more likely to notice the lack of attention to detail and be bothered by things being out of place.

I don't presume to know your personality makeup but you might be lower in Orderliness than some which would explain why you truly wouldn't understand how something like that would bother people. That's not to say that you're a slob, at all. We express traits on a continuum. It's not all or nothing so please don't take it the wrong way.

You actually come across as a really friendly, pleasant person. You're probably very high in trait Agreeableness.

Anyway, some people can't help but notice and some people can't help not noticing. I hope that helps.
That does help. I wasn't aware of these things. Yes I'm definitely lower in orderliness. Almost to the point where only the really important things matter to me. I'm not a slob in case anyone is wondering. I've been way too agreeable my whole life and I'm growing tired of it. I consider that growth.

So there's people that get a certain way when things like old date stamps rear their unattractive heads. Thanks for pointing that out. I can't relate but that's OK, it's a thing I guess. I'm just having a hard time trying to accept why everyone doesn't think like me lol

cbphoto

Diamond Member
If you're familiar with the Big 5 personality trait….
I am not.

Wiki-grafik_peats-de_big_five_ENG.png

I’m still not. o_O

yammyfan

I’m still not. o_O
It's an unbelievably useful theory and explains so much. It doesn't explain everything about personality but it covers a lot of ground and what it does cover, it does very well.

I sincerely believe that if it was taught in grade school, tensions across political/ideological lines would be halved in no time. I might explore this in an off-topic thread some day. It's powerful stuff.

bud7h4

Silver Member

What if you're likely to notice all the same details without being bothered by it?
Maybe when people don't bother to comment on it it's less about an orderliness trait and more to do with some people recognizing the difference between shit that matters and shit that doesn't. If someone doesn't "understand" how something so trivial would bother people, I really don't see that person as the weird one.

Also, the thread isn't that old anyway.

. . . .

(y)(y) This is a good example of when those details matter (a little).

Last edited:

yammyfan

What if you're likely to notice all the same details without being bothered by it?
Maybe when people don't bother to comment on it it's less about an orderliness trait and more to do with some people recognizing the difference between shit that matters and shit that doesn't. If someone doesn't "understand" how something so trivial would bother people, I really don't see that person as the weird one.
Maybe.

Shit that matters means different things to different people.

How often do you wash your car? Do you know anyone who washes their car more often than you? Less often? What's that all about?

What's trivial to you is important to somebody else. Surely that's not in dispute?

bud7h4

Silver Member
Maybe.

Shit that matters means different things to different people.

How often do you wash your car? Do you know anyone who washes their car more often than you? Less often? What's that all about?

What's trivial to you is important to somebody else. Surely that's not in dispute?

What matters - how often I wash my car.
What doesn't - whether someone else washes their car more or less than I do.

Someone bumping a 2 year old thread doesn't matter to me at all if the topic can logically be continued. It certainly doesn't "bother" me either way. I wouldn't even take the time to post a comment if the topic had become irrelevant since the original date, unless it's to say something silly.

My point, though, is that you can possess"high orderliness" without compulsions. Not commenting or reacting to a date stamp doesn't mean you didn't see it due to low orderliness.

Last edited:

BGDurham

I appreciate resurrecting this thread because after nearly one year with my starter used Mapex M-Series I have bad GAS and enjoy learning about these step-up kits. Also following the pinballs flying through the new DW Performance Vs Pearl Studio thread. I am learning a ton.

incrementalg

Gold Member
I like old, resurrected threads…because I haven’t seen the vast majority of the thousands of threads on this site. I even find it funny when someone makes a recommendation on a 10 year old thread asking for help choosing between sets.

I come here for knowledge and entertainment. And I don’t let anything bug me because I see everything in forums and social media as one tiny step away from make believe. Turn off the server and it’s gone…poof.

cbphoto

Diamond Member
I don’t let anything bug me because I see everything in forums and social media as one tiny step away from make believe. Turn off the server and it’s gone…poof.
Well said.

Artstar

Platinum Member

Exactly... you just found something that interests you and have something to add or are curious about it.. I've done this same thing once in a while when I found something from long ago.