Tama Starclassic or DW Performance?

DenK

I know many have helped me learn a ton of info and I appreciate it. I want a virgin bass, prefer to buy from this retailer as they are only 2 day shipping :)
I am down to these two, the DW set would come with a 22X14 Bass.
DW Pros are American made, easy access to add ons and drums at Sweetwater, 2 mounted toms.
Tama, price and reputation. I really wonder how long it would take me to get a second mounted tom.
DW Performance
Tama Starclassic 22X14 Bass

The DW Performance drums are great, but overpriced.

The Tama Birch/Walnuts are on a whole new level IMO. I've played them and inspected them, if someone told me they were $4000 I'd believe them. The fit and finish is that good. And the sound is that good too.

The tom sizes on the B/W are perfect, and I love the 22x14" size bass drum. Perfect for gigging!

Yeah, the whole virgin bass thing is a myth IMO. If it's for looks I can understand that though. For ease of setup at the gig, a drilled bass is superior. If you can get past the look of the drilled bass drum, that'll open you up to many more options.

One more thing, the finish you choose can have practical implications, more than just the looks. Some finishes are better than others for gigging.....better at keeping clean and hiding dust, and resisting dings and scratches.

Lacquer looks great, but is probably the most susceptible to dings and scratches. Wraps are much more durable for getting knocked around during gigs.

Satin or Matte finishes are easier to take care of than Lacquer.

Busy or more detailed finishes/wraps are better at hiding dust and dings (and fingerprints). An all black finish (especially glossy) won't hide dust at all, so keep that in mind.

Last edited:
It's just personal taste and personally I'd go with neither, but between those two I'd choose Tama.

I’d go with Tama of the two. Great sounding, bulletproof hardware and less expensive to boot. The birch/walnut sound, look and feel WAY above their price point. Personally, I think they sound better than DW...even the various collectors lines.

I have to say been surprised how few like the DW, but its why I ask. The problem with Tama is if I want the virgin bass I have to settle with the 2 toms for a long time. If I go with a bass mounted tom, I can get the toms I need, but have to go with 22X16 bass.

Someone here ordered a Tama tom and took something like 9 months to be delivered. If there’s a bass drum mounted Tom tree that makes sense it’s Tama. My biggest gripe with most are how little flexibility you have with positioning. Not so with Tama. If it’s a look thing, then there’s that, but flying two toms off cymbal stands is a pain, unless offset. If it’s between 22x18 or 22x16, then 22x16 all day long.

Someone here ordered a Tama tom and took something like 9 months to be delivered. If there’s a bass drum mounted Tom tree that makes sense it’s Tama. My biggest gripe with most are how little flexibility you have with positioning. Not so with Tama. If it’s a look thing, then there’s that, but flying two toms off cymbal stands is a pain, unless offset. If it’s between 22x18 or 22x16, then 22x16 all day long.
Thanks, and I was wanting a 14" bass, but for me its more important to not have to wait 9 mos for a second mounted tom.

Thanks, and I was wanting a 14" bass, but for me its more important to not have to wait 9 mos for a second mounted tom.
They are showing the 22x14 as a standard size on their website. Tama Starclassic birch/walnut and DW Performance series sound so different. I’d go with the configuration and sound you want over the availability personally. Or, you could do what I did, drool over DW for years, heavily consider Tama, but buy Gretsch at the last minute instead!

Last edited:
Tge

They are showing the 22x14 as a standard size on their website. Tama Starclassic birch/walnut and DW Performance series sound so different. I’d go with the configuration and sound you want over the availability personally. Or, you could do what I did, drool over DW for years, heavily consider Tama, but buy Gretsch at the last minute instead!
Sounds like me, I had placed the order and emailed and told them to hold on till morning. I am pretty sure I am going with one of the two above. Sound is most important and this will come up quite a bit cheaper considering the mounting is already included. The tom/cymbal stands are $250 each.

Tama’s tom mounting system is a lot better than DW’s, IMO. A lot more bounce and sustain with Tama’s starcast mounting.

For me, the virgin bass drum isn’t about sound, it’s about being able to place the toms independent from where the bass drum is. And Tama’s Roadpro cymbal boom/tom stands are very solid, so it’s possible to fly an attachment for auxiliary percussion. Lotsa options. I dig ‘em.

I don't know if this helps, but I waited pert'near 10 years to find a matching 10" for my Starclassic Maple kit with a rare finish. Worth it.

Attachments

• 20180810_195705-756x1008.jpg
    20180810_195705-756x1008.jpg
    277.5 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

That was me - and it was over 12 months...BUT.... that was because it was BUBINGA and caused by the cities list problems of that particular wood. ( It's why Tama have gone to walnut) Tama's standard lead time for add on toms is 3 months.
Having owned my B/B for 18 months now - I cannot fault it - fit ,finish and most importantly sound, are fantastic! The 22x16 kick is awesome.
I traded a DW collectors for this kit and have not regretted it for a second - imo it is better than the collectors in every way and collectors are higher up the range than performer series so make of that what you will.

You should notice that even with a tom mount, the Tama bass drum is not drilled. It only has 4 small holes for the screws but no hole is needed for the tom post. Therefore, no ugly big hole if you decide to take the mount off.

You should notice that even with a tom mount, the Tama bass drum is not drilled. It only has 4 small holes for the screws but no hole is needed for the tom post. Therefore, no ugly big hole if you decide to take the mount off.
I did not know this, thanks and probably enough to make me go with the Tama.

Back