tama starclassic good for the price range?

is th tama starclassic good or is it better to get something else hovering in the same area of price?

I right now have a old yamaha kit that i got used and im looking at options for a new kit. planning on just getting a high quality kit and keeping it for a long time.

i mainly play rock. recently got a double pedal (TAMA IRON COBRA!) and am goofing off with it.

any suggestions are helpful and appreciated

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I think if you look at all the manufacturers and look at what they offer in your price range, you'll probably find that they're all pretty comparable (so long as you stay within the price range).

So the question would be, what do you want to play?

Starclassics have several different lines from the cheapest Birch/Bubinga, up to the solid Bubinga Elite (which is what I just bought). So the range at the music store could be from $1399 for 4 B/B drums, up to $4000+ if you went with the Bubinga Elites or beyond to the Omnitunes (both the same drum, just different lugs).

Every manufacturer has different offerings in their price lines. You just have to decide what you like. Do more research, you may find another manufacturer that has exactly what you're looking for, or if you really want a Tama kit, then get it. You have to like what you're playing, I always say. No point playing what someone else recommended - those drums would be good for that guy, maybe not you. And those Iron Cobra pedals are great, aren't they?

I am in grade 10. i dont think i can afford the $4000 kit but im thinking of going for a starclassic in a few years. so the plan is to have those years to research so by the time i buy my research will be done lol.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I am in grade 10. i dont think i can afford the $4000 kit but im thinking of going for a starclassic in a few years. so the plan is to have those years to research so by the time i buy my research will be done lol.
Ah. Well, I think they're good in the price range for me. But look around for sure, every major manufacturer makes great drums. I just happen to like these this time around!

i like tama drums and hardware.
i have a yamaha and tama hi hat stand.
i like the tama
ive tried dw and pearl pedals like the dw 9000 double pedal
i bought the iron cobra a few days ago =)

i just seem to find them well built for the price

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Yep. I've played all of those too. Even owned two DW kits at one point. I do like how Tama hardware seems a little better engineered. Some of the DW stand stuff is over-engineered and heavy - and I'll never understand why you have the spring on the inside of the 9000 post. That move was just dumb.

My first Tama kit I bought back in 1984 (way before you were born) and through the years I've played almost every major drum companies offerings, and now I'm back to Tama. I could've stayed with them for 20 years - the stuff they make now is equally on par with anything made by anybody. You definitely couldn't go wrong with sticking it out with Tama for your career. But it depends on how your income situation works out. If you can afford to try others like I did, you just might!

Get a tama starclassic maple. Personally, I think it sounds the best. Bubinga is pretty good too, but I feel like the shells are much more heavier. Yeah but you really don't have to get a high end kit. Semi-pro and professional kits don't sound much difference,especially when you're recording. You can totally make up the difference with good tuning and good heads

did you read my post were i said i likely won't get the 4000 dollar one? and were i said my plan is to work alot before i move out to even afford probrably a 2000 dollar one?

my parents won't put any money into a drumkit

which tama kit is better? the imperial star or the superstar?

cause its kind of unrealistic at this time in my life to get a starclassic looking at the prices on some of them.

then get performer birch. Only 1400$ new and around 700$ used on ebay. And the maple is only 2k new man. very few people own the 4k tama starclassic dude.

the maple starclassic is 2000? i was on the tama website and clicked on the maple and they were over 5000.

If its 2000 ill just work like crazy for a few years and get one.

coolhandluke

I bought my SC Maple for 1500-2000 range 6 piece. It was used got it 7 years ago and still play on it and will be playing on it for the foreseeable future. That being said buy a kit the works for you. You dont need top of the line drums to sound like a pro. Good tuning and quality heads can more then make up the difference in sound from a beginner kit to a pro kit.
If you can afford a SC maple now then buy it because it will last you for along time, but if you cant then why worry and just buy a nice kit that feels good to you and put some good heads on it.

At the moment i have no money. i saved up for a iron cobra double pedal now im broke.
need to get new drumheads for my current kit. need a drum mat.
I won't be able to get a starclassic for a few years.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Save your pennies and do you research then. If you're willing to look into used kits, you'd be surprised how cheap things are because of this economy. And right now, for drums it's a buyer's market. Nobody's buying anything. In a few years, you might get a Starclassic Bubinga Elite for way cheap (like I did).

If you want to see what these things are actually selling for used, do a good eBay search. That's usually the barometer of what a used item is worth.

At the moment i have no money. i saved up for a iron cobra double pedal now im broke.
need to get new drumheads for my current kit. need a drum mat.
I won't be able to get a starclassic for a few years.
Or just work for like a few months and get like a used mapex Saturn like I did. I bought it for like 400$ lol. It's not as good as tama SC, but it's pretty close. The walnut and maple shells work very well together, giving the kit a deeper tone.

i realy don't know. i live on a small island in canada so there isn't much choice to buy anything used and stores don't carry much drum stuff.

also ebay.ca has like 1 tama starclassic kit on it so i will have to get what comes up in my area.