Tama Star Walnut

I have the Starphonic Brass Snare (bought it a couple of weeks ago), and I‘m not very articulate in describing things, so here’s a link to the snare. I have mine in the medium tuning range.

Interesting to see inside the factory and see the craftsmanship that goes into making the Star series. They have a few videos that show that kind of stuff.

Could be as long as six months. Depending. Haven't made the order yet because I'm waiting on a refund on an Sonor SQ1. The dealer is now being difficult. So thats going to cause a delay.

Hopefully it’s not that long of a wait. I ordered a Star Walnut kit back in late September, but due to the Canadian distributor losing their contract with Hoshino, the order wasn’t placed until the first week of January, and Hoshino USA who’s the current distributor, hasn’t provided a timeline yet.

Hopefully it’s not that long of a wait. I ordered a Star Walnut kit back in late September, but due to the Canadian distributor losing their contract with Hoshino, the order wasn’t placed until the first week of January, and Hoshino USA who’s the current distributor, hasn’t provided a timeline yet.

What finish did you order?

I am definitely lusting after a Star Walnut snare, it has all the qualities I want in a wood snare. I just already have a couple of similar snares, so I haven’t bought that one yet. I can only imagine the full kit would sound awesome.
Since the (Starphonic) hoops & rod design are unique, the batter hoop cannot be easily replaced (If you’re into trying things out).
FWIW, the rods are standard and it’s very easy to swap in different hoops. The rods only appear unusual because of the hooks that grab the Starphonic hoops, but those hooks are removable. I put a custom wood batter hoop on my Starphonic bubinga, absolutely love it.

I do. The hammered shell reduces some of the very high harmonics giving the drum a slightly darker tone & feel. The 8-lug design along with the brass hoops give the drum a very long sustain with balanced overtones. It uses a Tama snappy I’ve not used before, the “orchestral” snappy, which is the most sensitive snappy from Tama I’ve experienced and reacts very well to ghost notes. I’ve recorded a couple tracks with it and let it ring. No muting, no gels or tape, and it mixed very well with the guitar-centric music.

It’s also the prettiest drum I have. It’s like a gem.

View attachment 101768

Nice photo and lighting, better than Tama's photos! Would like it if the lugs were brass too...or are they? 6.5 they released sounds great as well.

Would like it if the lugs were brass too...or are they?
Nope. Standard chrome plated steel.

One thing about Tama's product information: if they don't mention a special feature (e.g., seamless shell, chrome-over-brass lugs, etc.) then it's not a custom feature. Years ago, several of us from the old Tama forum peppered Tama USA about seamless snare drum spec's and we were told, "if it is not mentioned in the product description on the web site or catalog, it isn't on the product." They have been consistent on this for the last 15 years I've played Tama.

I am definitely lusting after a Star Walnut snare, it has all the qualities I want in a wood snare. I just already have a couple of similar snares, so I haven’t bought that one yet. I can only imagine the full kit would sound awesome.

FWIW, the rods are standard and it’s very easy to swap in different hoops. The rods only appear unusual because of the hooks that grab the Starphonic hoops, but those hooks are removable. I put a custom wood batter hoop on my Starphonic bubinga, absolutely love it.
I absolutely love the Tama Star Walnut snare. It is now my favorite wood snare. I can’t say enough about the craftsmanship. Mine is in Indigo and absolutely flawless. Tama Star and Starphonic drums are as good as it gets. I also have the Starphonic Copper and Bubinga and they have the same strainer which is one of the smoothest throws around. I highly recommend.

I absolutely love the Tama Star Walnut snare. It is now my favorite wood snare. I can’t say enough about the craftsmanship. Mine is in Indigo and absolutely flawless. Tama Star and Starphonic drums are as good as it gets. I also have the Starphonic Copper and Bubinga and they have the same strainer which is one of the smoothest throws around. I highly recommend.

Yeah, the issues with that bad dealer is almost over. So in the coming days I can move on and proceed with Tama Star. I'm waiting to hear about the wait time from the distributor. While I'm waiting I can pick up one of the snares.

Torn between the matching walnut snare and the brass Star or brass Starphonic. Brass Star sounds great to me...just wish it was cheaper. Brass Starphonic sounds good too but in a different way. The Walnut snare also sounds fantastic.

While the dealer has them in stock the public aren't allowed inside the shop at the moment because of lockdown. So I can't try them side by side.

"Brass Star sounds great to me"

There's your answer right there. Of course it's too much. It wouldn't be a dilemma otherwise. Great gear is always a dilemma.

Just get it over with, why are you toying around with denying yourself? You know you'll get one eventually, so just get on with it.

I'd rather have a nice drum than a stack of paper.

You'll forget about the money in a week.

You can always make more money

"Brass Star sounds great to me"

There's your answer right there. Of course it's too much. It wouldn't be a dilemma otherwise. Great gear is always a dilemma.

Just get it over with, why are you toying around with denying yourself? You know you'll get one eventually, so just get on with it.

I'd rather have a nice drum than a stack of paper.

You'll forget about the money in a week.

You can always make more money

I think if you are already paying +$800, you are in boutique territory so just get whatever you want at that point (or at least narrow down to wood or metal)

The way I see is, why look around when he would be satisfied with the Brass Star.

Satisfaction is #1

My config will be something like the above! Can't wait!

Does anyone own the Tama Star Brass snare? Something I'm also considering...but its pricey.

Are you more of a 5.5 depth or 6.5 depth guy? I ask because Drum Center of Portsmouth got Tama to make a limited run of this drum with the 6.5" depth just for their shop. Even if you're not in the US, I'm sure they'd ship it. (assuming they still have some)

Reactions: TJK
Are you more of a 5.5 depth or 6.5 depth guy? I ask because Drum Center of Portsmouth got Tama to make a limited run of this drum with the 6.5" depth just for their shop. Even if you're not in the US, I'm sure they'd ship it. (assuming they still have some)

I might just go for the 5.5 depth. I really like all depths depending on the drum. They all have their thing. There are a few of the 6.5 depth in Europe. Very small in numbers, but there's a few out there that I've seen.

Back