Tama Star Walnut

My config will be something like the above! Can't wait!

Does anyone own the Tama Star Brass snare? Something I'm also considering...but its pricey.

TK-421

A Star Walnut is one of a very few number of kits that could tempt me away from Gretsch. And that finish looks fantastic! I’m sure you’ll be super happy with it.

cbphoto

Gold Member
Does anyone own the Tama Star Brass snare?
I do. The hammered shell reduces some of the very high harmonics giving the drum a slightly darker tone & feel. The 8-lug design along with the brass hoops give the drum a very long sustain with balanced overtones. It uses a Tama snappy I’ve not used before, the “orchestral” snappy, which is the most sensitive snappy from Tama I’ve experienced and reacts very well to ghost notes. I’ve recorded a couple tracks with it and let it ring. No muting, no gels or tape, and it mixed very well with the guitar-centric music.

It’s also the prettiest drum I have. It’s like a gem.

266EDF22-E8B7-4C69-BE52-C11A32615BD7.jpeg

cbphoto

Gold Member
I'm thinking of picking up a Starphonic brass snare to go with the kit. Anyone here own the snare and have thoughts to share?
At a local shop I did a side-by-side comparison of the Starphonic and Starclassic (and old model from c.2005) and could not tell a difference from 3 meters away. I have a couple Starphonics (aluminum & spotted gum) and the hoops produce overtones and sustain like triple-flanged hoops. Since the hoops & rod design are unique, the batter hoop cannot be easily replaced (If you’re into trying things out).

Compared to the Star Hammered Brass snare, the Starphonic Brass is brighter, but the Star has more sustain and more body/punch in its sound. If you made me decide between on of the other, I’d take the Star Hammered ‘cuz it offers more sonic variations. Plus it’s prettier.

Since you’re looking at brass snare drums, what music do you play?

A Star Walnut is one of a very few number of kits that could tempt me away from Gretsch. And that finish looks fantastic! I’m sure you’ll be super happy with it.

The walnut seems to record really well. I know a guy who has one and I had the opportunity to grab some of his raw tracks and it was quite incredible. That's sold me on moving away from Sonor. I'll probably come back to them at some point and I can have the best of both worlds because walnut isn't something they offer. So I'll have sound options.

What gretsch do you play?

I do. The hammered shell reduces some of the very high harmonics giving the drum a slightly darker tone & feel. The 8-lug design along with the brass hoops give the drum a very long sustain with balanced overtones. It uses a Tama snappy I’ve not used before, the “orchestral” snappy, which is the most sensitive snappy from Tama I’ve experienced and reacts very well to ghost notes. I’ve recorded a couple tracks with it and let it ring. No muting, no gels or tape, and it mixed very well with the guitar-centric music.

It’s also the prettiest drum I have. It’s like a gem.

View attachment 101768

It certainly is a stunning looking drum. I'd be using it for instrumental guitar music. That's why I've been looking at brass because there's layers of distorted guitar at times and I find wood snares don't sit in quite the right place. On the demos I've had to use samples of a bell brass snare to get it closer to what I want. The Tama bell brass costs as much as some kits...so some other brass snare might get me in the ball park. From the videos I've seen the Star brass sounds great. And I do prefer to play without extra dampening if possible.

Since you’re looking at brass snare drums, what music do you play?

Well, music isn't a day job for me. I work in the film industry and all my projects are on hold because of covid. But that has given me time to work on long planned and often put off tracks. Its guitar based instrumental music. Not shred stuff. It goes anywhere from acoustic guitar with Spanish and eastern influences, to rock rhythm with lead melodies...to slightly more complex stuff with on the heavier side with some early Metallica influences...their more epic style stuff from Ride The Lightning up to Justice. But most of the tracks I've been working on are on the lighter more melodic side. I'm realizing I'm drawn to the sound of brass maybe because so many of my favourite albums growing up were recorded with the Tama bell brass. When I had the Sonor kit I was even considering the benny greb brass snare.

TK-421

The walnut seems to record really well. I know a guy who has one and I had the opportunity to grab some of his raw tracks and it was quite incredible. That's sold me on moving away from Sonor. I'll probably come back to them at some point and I can have the best of both worlds because walnut isn't something they offer. So I'll have sound options.

What gretsch do you play?
I have two Renown kits. Though if I were to spend Tama Star money, it would most likely be on a set of USA Customs, or possibly a Brooklyn or Broadkaster kit. But I do love walnut drums, which Gretsch does not currently offer, and those Star Walnut kits look very tempting to me. In the DCP Tama Star comparison video, the Star Walnut was definitely my favorite, and I thought they sounded fantastic.

NouveauCliche

View attachment 101764

So I'll be moving forward with a Tama Star Walnut.

I'm thinking of picking up a Starphonic brass snare to go with the kit. Anyone here own the snare and have thoughts to share?

Beautiful finish - post a bunch when you get it!

I have two Renown kits. Though if I were to spend Tama Star money, it would most likely be on a set of USA Customs, or possibly a Brooklyn or Broadkaster kit. But I do love walnut drums, which Gretsch does not currently offer, and those Star Walnut kits look very tempting to me. In the DCP Tama Star comparison video, the Star Walnut was definitely my favorite, and I thought they sounded fantastic.

Renowns are great value for the money. I've spent a little bit of time trying USA customs and Brooklyn kits. Very nice.

Yeah I've watched that video and agree. Walnut was the sound I liked the most and it happens to come under the other two in price point. Which helps ?

incrementalg

Gold Member
Ooh...that’s a beautiful finish. I don’t have any hands on experience with the Star walnut drums, but they’ve sounded fantastic in what I’ve seen/heard online. The walnut sounds warm and buttery.
What’s the wait time on your order?

Ooh...that’s a beautiful finish. I don’t have any hands on experience with the Star walnut drums, but they’ve sounded fantastic in what I’ve seen/heard online. The walnut sounds warm and buttery.
What’s the wait time on your order?

Could be as long as six months. Depending. Haven't made the order yet because I'm waiting on a refund on an Sonor SQ1. The dealer is now being difficult. So thats going to cause a delay.

Darth Vater

Could be as long as six months. Depending. Haven't made the order yet because I'm waiting on a refund on an Sonor SQ1. The dealer is now being difficult. So thats going to cause a delay.

We need more deets about the dealer being difficult. I thought this was all resolved?
? ;)?

We need more deets about the dealer being difficult. I thought this was all resolved?
? ;)?

So did I. He's claiming there's a scrape in the paintwork. It wasn't there when it was with me. I made sure it was secure and carefully padded. This dealer has been dodgy to deal with from the very beginning so it doesn't surprise me. He's now trying to extort money from me for damage I didn't cause.

I'm consulting people about this because he sold me something that wasn't fit for purpose to begin with. Lesson for everyone, make sure you know your dealer is reputable before you buy. Don't deal with people you don't know.