Tama Star Walnut: Crack in the Clear Coat

Scottie15

Bought these drums brand new back in August. I noticed this hairline crack in the lacquer next one of the lugs on my 10" tom. The crack starts longer on one side of the lugs and continues on to the other side. It's on the front of the tom, so nowhere where I hit the drum with sticks. I'm guessing this was probably already there and I never noticed it.

Should I send this tom in for a repair/replacement? It doesn't affect the sound at all, and it doesn't look like the crack goes into the wood or anything.

20210418_165214_copy_480x853.jpg20210418_165155_copy_480x853.jpg

I know it may drive you crazy but are you willing to wait 6 months for a replacement Tom? Not me, I’d contact the dealer about a discount or partial refund before I would send my Tom to Japan

I know it may drive you crazy but are you willing to wait 6 months for a replacement Tom? Not me, I’d contact the dealer about a discount or partial refund before I would send my Tom to Japan

Those are my thoughts as well. Doubt the dealer will reply or do anything since this is 8 months after the fact. Plus I got a deal on the kit anyways.

Reactions: TJK
Bought these drums brand new back in August. I noticed this hairline crack in the lacquer next one of the lugs on my 10" tom. The crack starts longer on one side of the lugs and continues on to the other side. It's on the front of the tom, so nowhere where I hit the drum with sticks. I'm guessing this was probably already there and I never noticed it.

Should I send this tom in for a repair/replacement? It doesn't affect the sound at all, and it doesn't look like the crack goes into the wood or anything.

View attachment 103464View attachment 103465
Has your kit been through any sudden temperature changes? That's one possible reason for lacquer cracking. For instance, if you have them in a freezing cold car, and suddenly bring them into a warm venue.

Those are my thoughts as well. Doubt the dealer will reply or do anything since this is 8 months after the fact. Plus I got a deal on the kit anyways.
It is stunning
Tama star are the best production drums

Has your kit been through any sudden temperature changes? That's one possible reason for lacquer cracking. For instance, if you have them in a freezing cold car, and suddenly bring them into a warm venue.

Not at all. I live in the Bay Area. Up here we have barely any temperature swings. Lowest it gets is in the 50s, sometimes upper 40s, and it can get into the 90s during the hot days, but for the most part, no freezing and no super hot extremes.

Plus I keep them in a garage that is sealed tight on every entry point (I did the sealing myself) and is sheetrocked (not insulated)

Not at all. I live in the Bay Area. Up here we have barely any temperature swings. Lowest it gets is in the 50s, sometimes upper 40s, and it can get into the 90s during the hot days, but for the most part, no freezing and no super hot extremes.

Plus I keep them in a garage that is sealed tight on every entry point (I did the sealing myself) and is sheetrocked (not insulated)
Hmm, sounds like an issue with the way the drum's lacquer was applied. Hopefully it won't get any bigger. I would probably just try to ignore it.

I completely agree with DV. It should be handled under warranty. Take the Pic’s You have and email them to the dealer. You should be able to to keep the Tom until a new one arrives, and then exchange it when You pick up it up at the dealer.

Got it. Just sent the email out. If the dealer refuses to work with me on this, or is unresponsive, wouldn't I still be covered under Tama/Hoshino's warranty?

Warranty Time Period: The Warranty provided herein is for the following periods, measured in each case from the date of the original retail purchase: (A) five (5) years for the Drum shell itself, (B) one (1) year for the Drum hardware including Accessory Hardware and Drum shell finishes, (C) thirty (30) days for bass Drum wood hoops and (D) five (5) years for Microphone Stands.

They'll probably try to blow it off as a sudden temp change or misuse so be ready to counter those points.

Warranty Time Period: The Warranty provided herein is for the following periods, measured in each case from the date of the original retail purchase: (A) five (5) years for the Drum shell itself, (B) one (1) year for the Drum hardware including Accessory Hardware and Drum shell finishes, (C) thirty (30) days for bass Drum wood hoops and (D) five (5) years for Microphone Stands.

They'll probably try to blow it off as a sudden temp change or misuse so be ready to counter those points.

So for the lacquer, one year it seems. Glad I found it in time.

Have you removed the lug to see if the crack is radiating from the screw hole? If so I think it would help illustrate a clearer case of a (warranty-covered) manufacturing defect instead of user error.

I did remove the lug, but didn't snap any additional photos. I just wanted to see how the crack was potentially formed, and to loosen the lug nut. If it was temperature related, I believe you'd see more cracking on the shell.

Nonetheless, I reached out to the dealer and he got back to me. He said Tama is getting a replacement set up. I can keep the drum to play until it arrives. It will probably be 5-6 months until they get a new. We'll see how this one shows up, hopefully packed well and undamaged.

I appreciate the advice and support here. Thank you all for your input.

So for the lacquer, one year it seems. Glad I found it in time.

I did remove the lug, but didn't snap any additional photos. I just wanted to see how the crack was potentially formed, and to loosen the lug nut. If it was temperature related, I believe you'd see more cracking on the shell.

Nonetheless, I reached out to the dealer and he got back to me. He said Tama is getting a replacement set up. I can keep the drum to play until it arrives. It will probably be 5-6 months until they get a new. We'll see how this one shows up, hopefully packed well and undamaged.

I appreciate the advice and support here. Thank you all for your input.
Excellent service from tama

Back