Tama Stagemaster boom stand Pros&Cons ?

pocket player

Need a lightweight boom cymbal stand .I am in a rock cover band and my back needs a break,looking into lightweight hardware that is sturdy. I have purchased dw6700 not crazy about it ,cymbal fell over . looking into other brands,been looking at the tama stagemaster single brace leg, boom stand. your pros & cons thanks

You can never go wrong with Tama hardware. If you are looking for lightweight and sturdy I can always suggest either the Tama single braced line or the Yamaha 700 line.

TAMA makes great great hardware and drums. I have a few RoadPro and coincidentally, a Stagemaster single braced boom stand. Very durable and easy to carry. I am selling mine since I no longer need it so PM me if interested.

Ron is yamaha 700 lightweight?

The Yamaha 700 line is an equivalent product to Tama's single braced hardware. Many would argue that you get even more durability with Yamaha but I've always found them both to be comparably awesome.

I used Tama single braced stands (the early 2000's swingstar stuff that is the same as the current stagemaster line) for years. Even as a 'kid' playing punk rock shows in divey little clubs where I would throw my stuff around they held up fine. At that time I would have 22" heavy rides mounted at shoulder height used as crashes on these stands and they were fine (not that I suggest doing that anyway).

If light weight is your main priority and you don't mind spending some money you also could check out the new Yamaha crosstown hardware pack. It's an aluminum hardware set with 2 cymbal stands, 1 snare stand, 1 hihat stand, and a carrying case for usually around $400. They claim this set weighs around 30% less then even their single braced 700 line (which is already very light weight).

The Yamaha 700 line is an equivalent product to Tama's single braced hardware. Many would argue that you get even more durability with Yamaha but I've always found them both to be comparably awesome.

I used Tama single braced stands (the early 2000's swingstar stuff that is the same as the current stagemaster line) for years. Even as a 'kid' playing punk rock shows in divey little clubs where I would throw my stuff around they held up fine. At that time I would have 22" heavy rides mounted at shoulder height used as crashes on these stands and they were fine (not that I suggest doing that anyway).

If light weight is your main priority and you don't mind spending some money you also could check out the new Yamaha crosstown hardware pack. It's an aluminum hardware set with 2 cymbal stands, 1 snare stand, 1 hihat stand, and a carrying case for usually around $400. They claim this set weighs around 30% less then even their single braced 700 line (which is already very light weight).
Dont think crosstown makes a boom stand yet ?
MY main problem is the weight lugging all my hardware to gigs,and i really need lightweight sturdy boom cym stands,with boom arms around 10 to 12 inches. The more i research different brands ,the more fustrated i get . Alot of the companies leave out alot of specs. on purpose to sway you to their brand. Thanks

Dont think crosstown makes a boom stand yet ?
MY main problem is the weight lugging all my hardware to gigs,and i really need lightweight sturdy boom cym stands,with boom arms around 10 to 12 inches. The more i research different brands ,the more fustrated i get . Alot of the companies leave out alot of specs. on purpose to sway you to their brand. Thanks

Boom stands are the one type that I hated using single braced lightweight stands because they would wobble. The Tama stands follow the same design principal as their higher end stuff in terms of it's 'footprint' which means you can use a Tama single braced stand with a heavy cymbal without worries as long as you extend the legs all the way out and position the boom in line with a leg for stability.

How many cymbals, drums, etc do you have on stands? For example: if you've got say 2 crashes, 1 ride, 1 china, 1 splash, and 1-2 toms on stands... Just use a rack. Not like a full rack with wing arms on each side, but a single front rack with 2 legs and 1 cross support. It may sound like the opposite of lessening your load but IMO 3 tubes for a simple rack would weigh significantly less, and be quicker to set up, then several boom stands even if they are single braced.

Boom stands are the one type that I hated using single braced lightweight stands because they would wobble. The Tama stands follow the same design principal as their higher end stuff in terms of it's 'footprint' which means you can use a Tama single braced stand with a heavy cymbal without worries as long as you extend the legs all the way out and position the boom in line with a leg for stability.

How many cymbals, drums, etc do you have on stands? For example: if you've got say 2 crashes, 1 ride, 1 china, 1 splash, and 1-2 toms on stands... Just use a rack. Not like a full rack with wing arms on each side, but a single front rack with 2 legs and 1 cross support. It may sound like the opposite of lessening your load but IMO 3 tubes for a simple rack would weigh significantly less, and be quicker to set up, then several boom stands even if they are single braced.
Good point will look into that

I have two of the Gibraltar 4700 series boom stands: double-braced but light weight. I have used them outside in the wind, and they work fine. Peace and goodwill.

Trip about how much does the stagemaster weigh ? Thanks Guys

Stagemaster is 8.3 pounds. If you remain interested in one let me know, I have mine ready to be sold. I also have 2 RoadPro boom stands I'm putting up for sale, albeit those big boys are 11.0 pounds each.

Crosstown stands weigh 30% of the others. i.e. 70% lighter.
2.5 lbs for a straight cymbal stand instead of 7 or 8 lbs.

Here’s a list shamelessly copied and pasted from another drum forum....
If that’s a breach of copyright or similar, let me know and I’ll delete this post.

Cymbal stands weight (lbs)

Stewart (Japanese) straight 1.9
DW 6710UL 2.9
Canopus flat-based straight CCS-1f 3.1
Slingerland 33 Flush Base 3.2
Hamilton aluminum straight 3.3
TAMA HC52F flat-based straight 3.3
Yamaha CS3 3.3
Ludwig 60's 1400 3.8
DCP flat-based 4.0
Buck Rogers 4.5
Sakae CS20F flat-based straight 4.5
Pearl C150S straight 4.8
Ludwig Atlas Classic flat based straight LAC25CS 5.2
DW 6710 flat-based straight 5.3
Yamaha CS650A straight 5.4
Pearl BC150S boom 5.4
Gibraltar 8710 flat-based straight 5.6
Ludwig 70's Atlas 5.7
Slingerland 66 Buddy Rich 5.7
DW 6700 flat-based boom 5.8
Gibraltar JZ straight 5.9
Gibraltar 8709 flat-based boom 6.0
Ludwig Atlas Classic flat based boom LAC35BCS 6.1
Sakae SCS200S single braced straight 7.1
Mapex 550 straight 8.0
Yamaha CS755 boom 8.1
Tama HC92 Titan Stilt Straight 9.5
Mapex 550 boom 9.6
Pearl BC900 Boom 10.0
DW 9710 Straight 10.4
Tama HC73BWN Roadpro Boom 10.6
Tama HC83BW Roadpro Boom 11.1
Tama HC93B Titan Stilt Boom 11.3
DW 9700 with 912s Short boom arms 12.2
DW 9710 Straight with DWSM991 Tom holder 12.6
Tama HC94B Titan Stilt Boom with counterweight 13.5
Tama HC104TB Titan Stilt Boom with counterweight 14.4
Pearl BC2030 Boom with counterweight 15.4

Stagemaster is 8.3 pounds. If you remain interested in one let me know, I have mine ready to be sold. I also have 2 RoadPro boom stands I'm putting up for sale, albeit those big boys are 11.0 pounds each.
Must be the double braced version.
The single braced boom stand is 6.8 lbs.

I bought a complete set of single braced stage master hardware, so here comes the rest:
straight cymbal stand 5.8
hi hat stand 6.9
snare drum stand 5.4

Not as lightweight as most of the flat base hardware, but a real benefit for my back. And as I expected, really well built and sturdy. No complaints.
The Tama classic stands a friend bought are comparable in terms of built quality and price, but I'm not into flat base hardware too much.

Back