Tama Speedcobra vs Dyna-sync

With the disclaimer that this is all hugely subjective... I’ve played an Iron Cobra Rolling glide pedal for decades (with the bearings swapped out for ceramic skate bearings - big difference). But I’ve always wanted it to be a touch lighter and wondered if I could get more dexterity on a different pedal. I‘ve been through loads of top pedals and always come back to old faithful IC. But the search continues and I have had both the speed cobra and dyna sync at home with me for the last week. They are both going back to the shop and I’m sticking with the IC. I’m sure I could play a bit faster on the others, but working with that heavier IC feel is part of how I play. I found that I couldn’t get the other pedals to hit as hard, so I didn’t have the same dynamic range to play through (I play off the head - no ports in the bass drum heads, heel down and up, btw).

I let the footboard come up as high as it can (and the beater come back as far as it can) on a loud stroke, and I found this made the chain rattle on the speedcobra - the chain pulls at a different angle than the IC. The dyna sync is a beautifully made pedal and I wanted to love it, but I just couldn’t dial it in to a place which would go through the dynic range. It was very smooth and when playing quiet heal down stuff it worked a lot better for me - if I played like that all the time I’d keep it. But I don’t, so it’s going back. In truth, I’ve seen top drummers play what I wish I could play on each of these pedals pedal, so the deficiency is with me not the gear! I’m not sure the dynasync is worth so much more than the speedcobra though.
your right on it being in the same range as a SC. normally on DD pedals, the linkage arm has bearings in it but the dynas have the same, cheap. shitty one. and the thing is $700 dollars for a double.

Reactions: TJK
your right on it being in the same range as a SC. normally on DD pedals, the linkage arm has bearings in it but the dynas have the same, cheap. shitty one. and the thing is $700 dollars for a double.
And another $115 for a carrying case.

they sell cases separately for some dumb reason, if my IC double came w/ a case, then the Dyna Sync should too
Clearly, Tama had a case against the case.

Just wanted to clear up the confusion on this: I received the Dyna-sync today and it does in fact come with the hardshell carrying case included as standard in the retail box. Here is an unboxing video showing the same.

Last edited:
I've owned lots of really good pedals over the years, DW5000, DW6000, CAmCO, Yamha, Sonor PB, Pearl eliminator, Ludwig SK and the Tama is the best feeling pedal to my feet that I've ever tried.

I've owned lots of really good pedals over the years, DW5000, DW6000, CAmCO, Yamha, Sonor PB, Pearl eliminator, Ludwig SK and the Tama is the best feeling pedal to my feet that I've ever tried.

Which one, Speed Cobra or Dyna-Sync?

I have the Dyna-Sync pedal and love these pedals. I also prefer the Iron Cobra Powerglide over the Speed Cobra. It's all preference.

Back