Tama Speedcobra vs Dyna-sync

Demirel

Hey guys. Did anyone try both pedals, compared them somehow? Could you please share your insights on the difference in how the pedals feel, what are the perks of Speedcobra, and what of Dyna-sync. I am really curious because they are completely different, but I heard some people say that Speedcobra is faster (which is strange since direct drives are usually faster, less powerful), and Dyna sync could feel like a chain pedal... it's confusing.

Thanks in advance! :)

YOU need to try them yourself. Just because I or someone else has a preference doesn't mean it'll work for you. You can't judge by consensus unless you are just a follower of the herd.

One is not faster than the other. The drummer who plays it determines how fast the pedal goes based on their ability. My 27 years of double bass experience can go faster with a basic single chain than a newbie with a the most expensive direct drive. It's that simple.

Go test drive a ton of pedals. Keep the one that feels best under your foot.

YOU need to try them yourself.
Go test drive a ton of pedals.
<sigh> SOP response for most pedal inquiries, but OP is asking, "compared them somehow?"

Thus, the correct answer from y’all is “no".

But I had the opportunity to try one out at Dale’s Drum Shop last year. I‘ve played a DW5000, IC Flexi-Drive (strap), and now running an IC900 Rolling glide (round cam). Plus, I used a Pearl Demon direct drive for years at a rehearsal space.

I would describe the difference between my IC900 and the demon drive as: The chain design feels like I’m whipping the bass head. The direct drive feels like I’m punching the head. Based on this, I posit the chain drive is great for players who let the beater rebound off the head, and direct drive is for players who bury the beater.

At Dale’s, the Tama Dyna-sync felt more powerful than the Pearl Demon pedal, and I hadn‘t made any adjustment to it. I attributed the feel of increased power to the larger footboard. I really wanted to buy it, but the $350 price (without carrying case) sent to their cymbal room.

I will try to shed a little light on this. I play a set of 1st gen Speed Cobra doubles and I have for a few years now. I have tried the Dyna Sync pedals at my local shop and they felt kind of heavy to me. That could be something as simple as a spring adjustment. I don't know. I play my springs at a medium tension and don't adjust them too much from what the factory settings are. Whatever it was, it was enough for me to say that I am happy with my Speed Cobras and If I should buy another set it will be the current "gen 2" model of my pedals. I did compare them by going from one to the other as a back and forth kind of thing. As the others have said though, you really want to try the pedals for yourself though.

as everyone else is saying, try it yourself. I play 4th gen (current gen) IC 900 doubles, and speed cobras are ICs with a long footboard. the Dyna syncs feel really nice except for the piece of sh*t driveshaft.

With the disclaimer that this is all hugely subjective... I’ve played an Iron Cobra Rolling glide pedal for decades (with the bearings swapped out for ceramic skate bearings - big difference). But I’ve always wanted it to be a touch lighter and wondered if I could get more dexterity on a different pedal. I‘ve been through loads of top pedals and always come back to old faithful IC. But the search continues and I have had both the speed cobra and dyna sync at home with me for the last week. They are both going back to the shop and I’m sticking with the IC. I’m sure I could play a bit faster on the others, but working with that heavier IC feel is part of how I play. I found that I couldn’t get the other pedals to hit as hard, so I didn’t have the same dynamic range to play through (I play off the head - no ports in the bass drum heads, heel down and up, btw).

I let the footboard come up as high as it can (and the beater come back as far as it can) on a loud stroke, and I found this made the chain rattle on the speedcobra - the chain pulls at a different angle than the IC. The dyna sync is a beautifully made pedal and I wanted to love it, but I just couldn’t dial it in to a place which would go through the dynic range. It was very smooth and when playing quiet heal down stuff it worked a lot better for me - if I played like that all the time I’d keep it. But I don’t, so it’s going back. In truth, I’ve seen top drummers play what I wish I could play on each of these pedals pedal, so the deficiency is with me not the gear! I’m not sure the dynasync is worth so much more than the speedcobra though.

I’ve owned both

Currently use the Dyna sync

It’s the best pedal I’ve ever owned and has completely replaced my trick big foot pedal

I got some some Bones bearings off eBay, but a quick google search on best skateboard bearings throws up loads of info.They made the pedal a lot smoother and faster, but I have a relatively old IC. The newer Tama pedals might not see as much improvement.

Pearl uses Ninja skate bearings in their Demon Drive pedals.

If you want to use skateboard bearings, the bearings use the ABEC scale. It goes 1, 3, 5, 7, and 9. ABEC 9 has the highest tolerances and precision, and are the smoothest. Those are what you want.

Spitfire:

Bones:

There are tons of skate bearing companies. Bones and Spitfire have been around a while and make quality bearings. It doesnt cost an arm or leg for good bearings, but some ceramic sets will cost more than the pedal you want to put them in.

This has been fun. I haven't thought about skateboards in a long time.

Pearl uses Ninja skate bearings in their Demon Drive pedals.

If you want to use skateboard bearings, the bearings use the ABEC scale. It goes 1, 3, 5, 7, and 9. ABEC 9 has the highest tolerances and precision, and are the smoothest. Those are what you want.

Spitfire:

Bones:

There are tons of skate bearing companies. Bones and Spitfire have been around a while and make quality bearings. It doesnt cost an arm or leg for good bearings, but some ceramic sets will cost more than the pedal you want to put them in.

This has been fun. I haven't thought about skateboards in a long time.
Back in the day I skated quite a bit and ran with Road Rider wheels with a German bearing that was the shizzle (but I can’t remember the name). I tried various boards and settled on a Turner Summer Ski cuz I liked to race slalom and grand slalom. c.1974 I found a vacant house with a pool and proceeded to destroy my body. It took a long time for me to navigate the vertical walls.

B4A88019-C4E6-4953-AC93-CAC044AB5290.jpeg

Back in the day I skated quite a bit and ran with Road Rider wheels with a German bearing that was the shizzle (but I can’t remember the name). I tried various boards and settled on a Turner Summer Ski cuz I liked to race slalom and grand slalom. c.1974 I found a vacant house with a pool and proceeded to destroy my body. It took a long time for me to navigate the vertical walls.

View attachment 94893
That's awesome. I finally got a board when I was around 10. It was mid 80s so I was skating on boards twice as big as those from the 70s. Ended up buying a Powell Peralta Tony Hawk board and rode that thing until about 10 years ago. I wasnt really into ramps or tricks, just riding the thing and going fast.

View attachment 94893

Nice. I stopped skating about 10 years ago after about 26 years of skating street and transition. Skating has changed a lot in the 10 years I've been out of it.

With the disclaimer that this is all hugely subjective... I’ve played an Iron Cobra Rolling glide pedal for decades (with the bearings swapped out for ceramic skate bearings - big difference). But I’ve always wanted it to be a touch lighter and wondered if I could get more dexterity on a different pedal. I‘ve been through loads of top pedals and always come back to old faithful IC. But the search continues and I have had both the speed cobra and dyna sync at home with me for the last week. They are both going back to the shop and I’m sticking with the IC. I’m sure I could play a bit faster on the others, but working with that heavier IC feel is part of how I play. I found that I couldn’t get the other pedals to hit as hard, so I didn’t have the same dynamic range to play through (I play off the head - no ports in the bass drum heads, heel down and up, btw).

I let the footboard come up as high as it can (and the beater come back as far as it can) on a loud stroke, and I found this made the chain rattle on the speedcobra - the chain pulls at a different angle than the IC. The dyna sync is a beautifully made pedal and I wanted to love it, but I just couldn’t dial it in to a place which would go through the dynic range. It was very smooth and when playing quiet heal down stuff it worked a lot better for me - if I played like that all the time I’d keep it. But I don’t, so it’s going back. In truth, I’ve seen top drummers play what I wish I could play on each of these pedals pedal, so the deficiency is with me not the gear! I’m not sure the dynasync is worth so much more than the speedcobra though.

Question about using skateboard bearings. Do the sizes of the bearings fit into the shafts of the pedals? Is there a certain size you need to get?

View attachment 94893

Great pic you bronzed golden haired 70’s Adonis!

Back