Tama Speed Cobra 910 or DW 5000?

synchro

Hi, all.

I currently have a Tama Iron Cobra 600 and I really don't like it. It's stiff, it makes a lot of metal to metal noise when playing as the footboard has a side to side movement because the connection between the footboard and the pedal base allows this movement. When I tried to disassemble it to clean, adjust and lubricate it, 4 screws were so ridiculously tightened that they became stripped and I had to use a screw extractor to remove them.

I went to my music store and tested the Tama Speed Cobra 910 and the DW 5000. I felt the DW has more power, I felt it was easier to do doubles with it than with my IC 600 or SC 910, had no noise coming from the pedal itself (nothing was moving).

The Tama Speed Cobra 910 felt more light than the DW 5000 and the IC 600 and I felt it requires less work from the leg muscles, the longboard was pretty cool, but I had some problems doing doubles (probably had to adapt to the longboard and the playing feel).
The connection between the footboard and pedal base follows the same idea as my IC 600, but it moves way less than my IC 600. I couldn't hear any noise coming from the pedal, so I believe this small side to side movement won't be as problematic for me as the one in IC 600.

Honestly, I think both pedals are great, but since I'm still learning, it's a bit hard for me to come up with a decision. I've read about the DW hinges breaking, and even though this is something I believe rarely happens, I was able to find enough threads in foruns and reddit about it to take into consideration that this might happen and the replacement costs 60 EUR. On the other hand, my previous experience with Tama was not good.

Between these two, what's your personal preference? I'm open to suggestions too (my budget is around 200 EUR).

I think the Cobra has the power of a heavier pedal without the heavy feel. It's not common for a pedal to facilitate power and speed so well.

Last edited:
Reactions: TJK
I have a thread on the DW 9000 vs the iron cobra 900

If anything go for the speed cobras. Being a guy who has only played Tama pedals (no joke) I would recommend them over a DW since they a. have a long, smooth footboard, which is easy to do doubles on. The DW is rough, IDK how it's easier for you to do doubles on that thing. but the beater on the SC is adjustable. plus the reason the footboard on the 600s is loose is that the footboard has no ball-bearing hinges where it contacts the heel plate. if you want to stick to the shortboards, then look at an iron cobra. if anything i would avoid DW since they overprice all of their shit

I tried out some Speed Cobras and found the same issue with doubles. I didn't like the feel of them at all. I reckon if you've already established that as a negative its a sign they're probably not for you. Trying pedals is the best thing you can do to decide what's best for you.

I'd bet many people make the mistake of playing the speed cobra a bit too far back on the pedal because of it's length. I found the sweet spot to be about the same location as the Iron Cobra.

Back