Tama Speed Cobra 910 double bass pedals

Silver’n’Smac

A big investment that I am getting ready to make is on a set of Tama Speed Cobra 910 double bass pedals. I negotiated a deal with Sweetwater for brand new ones for $432 (after tax & shipping). That seems to also be a great deal but they’re on back order and won’t arrive until September or October. I can cancel any time.

It’s hard to say what condition used pedals might really be when you receive them. That’s why I was looking at new. But $432, while a good deal, is still a hell of a lot for me to pay!
So. . . Should I just bite the bullet and consider it a great long term investment or is it better to save a couple hundred and purchase a used pair from a reputable seller? All of my cymbals are high quality and I bought them used. I’m just more skeptical about buying used components that have “operable parts” and take as much abuse as pedals do.

Thoughts?

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Used is usually fine. The only "operable parts" are bearings, springs, and the footboard hinge. Everything else is a non moving part. The driveshaft that connects the two is the biggest point of wear. Even though blocks and pins arent technically moving parts, the rotation of the shaft wears them out from friction and impact from the sudden start and stop of the shaft.

What I did was buy a used Pearl double (P902) and fitted it with a Trick driveshaft. The pedal was $100, the driveshaft $150. The Trick driveshaft wont wear out like a traditional driveshaft, and it has 0 slop. It's like having 2 bass drums.

You dont have to buy new for a good pedal. Just look the used one over. Is it all there? Do things wiggle that arent supposed to? Is the action smooth? If it passes all of these questions it's probably okay.

Silver’n’Smac

MrInsanePolack: That's great advice, thanks! I know nothing about the drive-shaft but it seems to make a lot of sense. So just to confirm, replacing the speed cobra drive shaft with this one you're recommending doesn't compromise the performance at all (if anything, it sounds like it will improve it and make it last longer?). Are there any other parts I should immediately replace if I get a used one? I like all genres of music but listen to rock & metal more than anything else so are the rubber beaters that I believe the speed cobras come with fine as-is? If all I really need to do is replace the drive-shaft, then your suggestion seems like a great one. Thanks again.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
MrInsanePolack: That's great advice, thanks! I know nothing about the drive-shaft but it seems to make a lot of sense. So just to confirm, replacing the speed cobra drive shaft with this one you're recommending doesn't compromise the performance at all (if anything, it sounds like it will improve it and make it last longer?). Are there any other parts I should immediately replace if I get a used one? I like all genres of music but listen to rock & metal more than anything else so are the rubber beaters that I believe the speed cobras come with fine as-is? If all I really need to do is replace the drive-shaft, then your suggestion seems like a great one. Thanks again.
The Trick driveshaft makes the pedal better. There shouldn't be anything else you should have to deal with. Pedals are pretty well built anymore. Unless it was dropped off a building or run over it should be fine. My pedals are probably 20 years old and get used heavily but have no big wear issues. As for the beaters, I like plastic ones. That's more preference than anything though.

Reactions: TJK

Scottie15

DO NOT buy the older (1st Generation) Speed Cobras. They have issues with their footplate hinges & bearings where there is crap tons of side-to-side play. Not to mention, additional play in the bearing shafts.

Instead, try to invest in a newer generation Speed Cobra with the updated components (better footplate hinge, wider footplate, rocking spring mechanism, etc.) It is worth the upgrade.

Oh, and like MrInsanePolack mentioned, get the Trick driveshaft.

Silver’n’Smac

Ok awesome. If I do end up getting the brand new one for $430 out the door, sounds like you guys are recommending getting the Trick driveshaft regardless, right?

it’s kinda funny - I don’t have a high-end kit (Tama Silverstar birch kit) but I’ve been hell bent on getting used but high-end cymbals, pedals and stands/hardware. Almost all of my cymbals are either used Sabian AAX’s or HHX and I’m going from an old 80’s Iron Cobra double pedals to the speed cobras.

Maybe one day I’ll be fortunate enough to upgrade to a nicer maple kit.
Although, I failed to mention that my Ludwig Supraphonic snare cost me almost as much as the rest of the Silverstar shell pack LOL.
And the irony is that I don’t think I’m very happy with that snare. It really “cracks” but there’s something about a metal snare that makes me feel like it’s meant for a marching band, not a rock drummer. It just doesn’t seem to jive with the rest of my kut’s sound. So if any of you have awesome snare recommendations, I’d love to hear them. I should be able to make pretty good money back on the Supraphonic (I bought it new for around $450 around 3-4 years ago.

Sorry to ramble!

DO NOT buy the older (1st Generation) Speed Cobras. They have issues with their footplate hinges & bearings where there is crap tons of side-to-side play. Not to mention, additional play in the bearing shafts.

Instead, try to invest in a newer generation Speed Cobra with the updated components (better footplate hinge, wider footplate, rocking spring mechanism, etc.) It is worth the upgrade.

Oh, and like MrInsanePolack mentioned, get the Trick driveshaft.
+1 on this. But please beware that the newer SpeedCobra still has some issues with the footplate hinge. I think somebody on here has had some issues with it. I have a 1st Gen Speed Cobra and its an absolute wreck, total Friday afternoon at the factory pedal. Had shit fly off it, Speedo ring snap, springs snap, screws stripped etc. Total garbage for a 400 quid pedal.

TJK

+1 on this. But please beware that the newer SpeedCobra still has some issues with the footplate hinge. I think somebody on here has had some issues with it. I have a 1st Gen Speed Cobra and its an absolute wreck, total Friday afternoon at the factory pedal. Had shit fly off it, Speedo ring snap, springs snap, screws stripped etc. Total garbage for a 400 quid pedal.
Wow that’s very surprising. I would not be happy.

Silver’n’Smac

Well I've come to the conclusion that I'm not nearly skilled enough to warrant spending that much on the speed cobra 910's (or similar high end pedals). . . . . .I'm gonna try out the Pearl D932 Demonators and some others in the same class (Iron Cobra 600's and DW3000's) and see how those feel for me. If I eventually (if ever) get really good at double-bass play, then maybe I'll think about upgrading again.

TJK

Well I've come to the conclusion that I'm not nearly skilled enough to warrant spending that much on the speed cobra 910's (or similar high end pedals). . . . . .I'm gonna try out the Pearl D932 Demonators and some others in the same class (Iron Cobra 600's and DW3000's) and see how those feel for me. If I eventually (if ever) get really good at double-bass play, then maybe I'll think about upgrading again.
try the pdp502 as well, they are under 150 and are a dw product. You may be pleasantly surprised.

Wow that’s very surprising. I would not be happy.
Oh I was, I'm even on my 3rd footplate because the bearing hinge has failed on me so many times. Plays like an absolute dream, l not played another pedal like it. So I suppose thats the funny trade off I'm faced with - incredible feeling but built like a house of cards.

Silver’n’Smac

So I finally made a decision today and ordered the Pearl P932 Demonator (double bass) and Tricks Retrofit Driveshaft. I got them both brand new for what I believe is a good price ($205 for the pedals and $114 for the driveshaft - $345 for both out the door).

Even though they're new pedals and are good ones as-is, I'm going to swap out the drive shaft with the Tricks one as soon as I receive them. It just seemed like a good long-term purchase that should make a 10-15% improvement immediately.

I unfortunately didn't get the opportunity to try them out in person but I do have a return window in case I don't like how they feel.

Thanks to everyone for helping me with all the various opinions/feedback!

TJK

So I finally made a decision today and ordered the Pearl P932 Demonator (double bass) and Tricks Retrofit Driveshaft. I got them both brand new for what I believe is a good price ($205 for the pedals and $114 for the driveshaft - $345 for both out the door).

Even though they're new pedals and are good ones as-is, I'm going to swap out the drive shaft with the Tricks one as soon as I receive them. It just seemed like a good long-term purchase that should make a 10-15% improvement immediately.

I unfortunately didn't get the opportunity to try them out in person but I do have a return window in case I don't like how they feel.

Thanks to everyone for helping me with all the various opinions/feedback!
sweet, you will love the drive shaft and the pedal as well I’m sure.