Tama Solid Cheerywood drums

bonzolead

Platinum Member
My cousin just pick-up a set of these drums any of you Tama experts heard of them and are they good drums?the guy told him he paid BIG $$$ back in 1981 for them he ended up getting a 22" bd & 24"bd with 12",13",14",15" toms and 16" & 18" Floor-Toms I haven't. seen the kit yet I might this weekend since I took Sep. off from gigging (Guitar Player is getting married) Plus I need a break been gigging in 3 bands every weekend since March and yes my wife isn't. thrilled but she'll get over it LOL after all we met while I was playing a gig.sorry to get off the topic I was just curious about these drums and how much they cost back then.thanks everybody for your time & insight.

Bonzolead

Here's some info I found:

"There have been many descriptions of Tama Superstars where the owner/seller was confused about the finish he/she had...Cherry Wine drums described as "Mahogany", and Super Mahogany drums described as "Cherry Wood". This may be where most of the confusion is coming from. The person that suggested using the interior finish as indication is correct. The Cherry Wine Superstars made prior to late 1984 had a reddish "Wash" on the interior and the ones manufactured in late 1984 - 1985 were literally painted red on the inside. These are the ones with the different badge location (one lug to the side of the mount as opposed to 180 degrees from the mount). Some of the early Super Mahoganies had a dark brown stained interior and some had a lighter brown interior. The late 1984 - 1985 models had a very light interior, almost natural but not quite. However, none of the Super Mahoganies had a reddish interior, therefore the interior is a good indication of the finish."
The drums should have a series name on them. "Big money" back in the 80's, I'd guess $1200-1800. You can search the Tama history page here: http://www.tama.com/history/ see if anything makes looks right.

Here's some info I found:

"There have been many descriptions of Tama Superstars where the owner/seller was confused about the finish he/she had...Cherry Wine drums described as "Mahogany", and Super Mahogany drums described as "Cherry Wood". This may be where most of the confusion is coming from. The person that suggested using the interior finish as indication is correct. The Cherry Wine Superstars made prior to late 1984 had a reddish "Wash" on the interior and the ones manufactured in late 1984 - 1985 were literally painted red on the inside. These are the ones with the different badge location (one lug to the side of the mount as opposed to 180 degrees from the mount). Some of the early Super Mahoganies had a dark brown stained interior and some had a lighter brown interior. The late 1984 - 1985 models had a very light interior, almost natural but not quite. However, none of the Super Mahoganies had a reddish interior, therefore the interior is a good indication of the finish."
The drums should have a series name on them. "Big money" back in the 80's, I'd guess $1200-1800. You can search the Tama history page here: http://www.tama.com/history/ see if anything makes looks right.
Thanks Harry for the info. and you're right he probably thought the finish was the shell type after I posted the thread I went to the Tama website and I know exactly what drums you're referring too.I also seen an Artstar kit from 83' that had corbia plys one on the outer ply and one on the inner ply with Birch ply's in the middle someone not knowing shells could mistaking think it's a solid ply I haven't. seen the drums yet so I really can't. say.I really do appreciate the reply.......Thanks

Bonzolead

WTF!?!?! SOLID shell drums from Tama??

Easy there DMC there probably ply drums after a little more research I did and with what Harry was saying.That Ironwood kit you got is beautiful and unique(not everybody has them) which is cool you're a Lucky DMC LOL.

Bonzolead

Easy there DMC there probably ply drums after a little more research I did and with what Harry was saying.That Ironwood kit you got is beautiful and unique(not everybody has them) which is cool you're a Lucky DMC LOL.

Bonzolead

OK, now I understand, the Tamas are 100 percent cherry ply - not the same as solid shell. The title of the post threw me off.

Actually, I think it would be great if mass manufacturers made solid shell drums. With modern production technology, it could be done efficiently and at reasonable cost, and keeping to a minimum the disadvantages of splitting and cracking that is the chief drawback to solid shells.

You'll find the info you're looking for here

There's was the TAMA Superstar and the was the TAMA Superstar X-TRAS...

Thanks for the link i'm sure he's confused about finish & shell type.I'm from Pontiac,MI.(Elvin Jones's hometown) it was cool too see the Elvin Jones Sig. kit I never knew he was indorcing Tama back then what a talent.

Bonzolead

I thnk you will find more Superstar info here then even on the TAMA site

http://groups.msn.com/TamaSuperstar/_whatsnew.msnw

Post some pictures and share.

Here is my TAMA Superstar project.

stripped1.jpg

Back