Tama SLP G bubinga snare or Pork pie Bob snare.

IBitePrettyHard

Although the Pork Pie is a solid snare from what I've heard, I'd get the SLP Bubinga in a heartbeat. I played one in GC and it was one of the best sounding wood snares I've played in a long time.

Bubinga is now an endangered species so they'll be harder to find in the future, and it could influence resale values as well.

Ultimately you need to go with your ear. If you don't get the chance to play either of them, at least watch demos on Youtube to find out which sounds better to you.

Trip McNealy

Gold Member
I own both drums. Both have their own strengths in my opinion.

The SLP G-Bubinga is going to produce a louder, drier sound than the BOB. Being a wood snare, you'll get all the typical "woody" character as well. The finish is absolutely gorgeous too.

The BOB snare is IMO more versatile and will produce a crisp, resonating sound depending on how you have it tuned. It also can accommodate all kinds of widths of snare wires. I have used 20, 30, and 42's with success. They call it the "poor man's Black Beauty" and I agree!

It seems like you want to pick only one for now, so just go what sounds best to you ears and needs! At some point if you can swing it, I HIGHLY recommend you own them both for your snare collection.

harrisal21

I own both drums. Both have their own strengths in my opinion.

The SLP G-Bubinga is going to produce a louder, drier sound than the BOB. Being a wood snare, you'll get all the typical "woody" character as well. The finish is absolutely gorgeous too.

The BOB snare is IMO more versatile and will produce a crisp, resonating sound depending on how you have it tuned. It also can accommodate all kinds of widths of snare wires. I have used 20, 30, and 42's with success. They call it the "poor man's Black Beauty" and I agree!

It seems like you want to pick only one for now, so just go what sounds best to you ears and needs! At some point if you can swing it, I HIGHLY recommend you own them both for your snare collection.
What's the best head combination for the G Bubinga. I ended up getting that and put a Remo ambassador on the snare side and tried a Remo black x and that sounds like crap at all tunings. I have it on a pork pie little squealer and it sounds killer. I'm thinking of trying a power stroke 3.

IBitePrettyHard

What's the best head combination for the G Bubinga. I ended up getting that and put a Remo ambassador on the snare side and tried a Remo black x and that sounds like crap at all tunings. I have it on a pork pie little squealer and it sounds killer. I'm thinking of trying a power stroke 3.
What was wrong with the stock batter head? I think it comes with an Evans G1?

The Black X is definitely not a commonly used head. It's probably choking the drum of all its resonance. They have 2 plies of 10-mil film and a 3 mil reverse dot. That's 20 mil with 3 mil in the center. Double the thickness of the Evans G1.

If you need more durability than the G1, I'd recommend the Ambassador X, Emperor or Controlled Sound. A Powerstroke 3 will be pretty dry like the Black X.

This video is very helpful...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRdi5O4rbQo