Tama Silverstar

I was wanting to aim for a new kit, i have a Pearl Forum now, and im ready to upgrade. Something like a Mapex Saturn is out of my reach. I was looking at Mapex Meridian Maple, and then i saw Tama Silverstar. Those are the new tama drums, and they are a great price. The shells are birch, and they look great. I just bought a Mapex Black Panther Sledgehammer snare and it sounds really good. Its handhammered brass and im wondering if birch would sound good with brass. Has anyone played the Silverstars?

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I was wanting to aim for a new kit, i have a Pearl Forum now, and im ready to upgrade. Something like a Mapex Saturn is out of my reach. I was looking at Mapex Meridian Maple, and then i saw Tama Silverstar. Those are the new tama drums, and they are a great price. The shells are birch, and they look great. I just bought a Mapex Black Panther Sledgehammer snare and it sounds really good. Its handhammered brass and im wondering if birch would sound good with brass. Has anyone played the Silverstars?
Hold on there, cowboy. How old is that Forum kit? And how long have you been playin'?
No disrespect here, and you can certainly buy whatever you want, but are you sure you need to upgrade? Are you playing out so much that your kit is just dying or are you looking for new inspiration to play? If that's the case, look inward first. If the kit is done, then by all means, upgrade.

Ive had em for a little over 2 years now. Don't get me wrong, i like them, but i feel I'm becoming distant from Pearl drums. I want to look into different brands and see what's best for me. Plus i wanted some 100% Birch or Maple drums. Ive begun to like Mapex alot because i like the snare drum i just bought, and my friend has a mapex pro M that sounds good.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Ive had em for a little over 2 years now. Don't get me wrong, i like them, but i feel I'm becoming distant from Pearl drums. I want to look into different brands and see what's best for me. Plus i wanted some 100% Birch or Maple drums. Ive begun to like Mapex alot because i like the snare drum i just bought, and my friend has a mapex pro M that sounds good.
I think I understand the distance thing you feel. I've never connected with Pearl drums at all - I've owned probably most of the major brands at one point, but never a Pearl, they just never clicked for me. Probably because everyone and their mother played Pearl at one time. But if you're thinking 100% anything kind of wood, I think you'd be spending alot more than you would on a Silverstar. In your situation, the Sonor Force 3007 or 2007 would be good because even though the woods come from different countries, they say the 2007's are 100% birch, and the 3007's are 100% maple - I think those kits get the most bang for the buck. But you cannot fault Tama with their superior hardware though. Sonor hardware leaves a little to be desired until you get to their 400 series at least.

I've heard alot of good things about the Sonor series, maybe i should try them out. I think i would rather go for maple drums, so i guess a 3007 could work. i will look into it more

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Check 'em all out. Be sure you know who is offering what you want in your price point. You might not like Sonor's colors in the end. Mapex has decent offerings too, but they kinda' fall into that Pearl category for me as well. Gretsch makes nice kits with their Catalina series, so does Ludwig and Yamaha. DW's PDP kits are really nice too.

Whatever you do, just budget in brand new heads to start, so set aside about $200 extra.
Hell, if we're talking sound alone, I bet your old Pearls would probably sound much better with a brand new set of heads.

ENRICO

Silver Member
why dont you get an used saturn or any other kit you want. when money is short , always get used gear. the sonors and silverstars are great kits but I'd get the kit I want.

Mapex----Maniac

why dont you get an used saturn or any other kit you want. when money is short , always get used gear. the sonors and silverstars are great kits but I'd get the kit I want.
What exactly is your budget?

And I agree, definitely buy used, unless you just HAVE to have a new kit

You can get good deals on Saturns used

New saturns:$1600
Used:$1000

Do the math ;)

Yea, i can probably get a used one sometime. I was looking at guitar center used gear, and i saw a mapex saturn for $400. It was very clean looking, it had two toms and a bass drum, and was green. That was a while back, so it could be gone, but at least that means great deals come and go so i will check ebay and guitar center alot to see if there is a great deal

Mapex----Maniac

Yea, i can probably get a used one sometime. I was looking at guitar center used gear, and i saw a mapex saturn for $400. It was very clean looking, it had two toms and a bass drum, and was green. That was a while back, so it could be gone, but at least that means great deals come and go so i will check ebay and guitar center alot to see if there is a great deal
Yeah believe it or not but guitar centers used section has A LOT of good deals

I saw a black beauty on there for $275, would have snagged it but didn't have the Money available :(

Yea i ended up buying a new sledgehammer, probably could have found a used one for cheaper, but oh well. Im pretty short on money at the moment, but i would like to know ahead of time what i would like to get.