TAMA SC W/B 5-pc, TAMA SC Maple 3-pc, Gretsch Brooklyn 4-pc, Sonor SQ1 3-pc

RK1

For everyone’s fee fees: I don’t care if someone doesn’t like that I slag off the Stage Custom. I’ll do it even more when obvious sarcasm isn’t comprehended.

I’ve had two take my replies the wrong way and I’m not massaging it to make them feel better. I simply don’t care. This topic is about gear, not an invitation for me to make you feel good about yourself.

The higher IQ will understand exactly what I mean by this.

s1212z

Silver Member
I always worry about Gretsch’s QC whereas TAMA and Sonor are worry free (even Pearl).
There have been several threads on the SQ1 QC though a few happy customers as well. I think any direct mount rack tom is just asking for trouble with a sympathetic frequency to the shell into the hardware....some can be ok and others not. I'd rather take a Stage Custom and mod it out before one of those (seriously). The Gretsch Brooklyns seem pretty cool and great price point.

RK1

I’ve played both. Not even close.
There have been several threads on the SQ1 QC though a few happy customers as well. I think any direct mount rack tom is just asking for trouble with a sympathetic frequency to the shell into the hardware....some can be ok and others not. I'd rather take a Stage Custom and mod it out before one of those (seriously). The Gretsch Brooklyns seem pretty cool and great price point.

RK1

The Brooklyn has a nice sound. They’re at the SCM price point as well. The SQ1 are the best sounding birch drums I’ve played. It’s a forever kit decision.

Chunkaway

Silver Member
I’m surprised so many people are saying Tama. I have played Tama drums and they don’t do anything for me….at all. They sound like Yamahas or Pearls. They are very well made but I don’t think they stand out sonically.

If it were me, I’d definitely be choosing between the Brooklyns and the Sonors. I’d probably go with the Brooklyns, but that’s just because I have a soft spot for Gretsch.

Last edited:

RK1

I’m surprised so many people are saying Tama. I have played tama drums and they don’t do anything for me….at all. They sound like yamahas or Pearls. They are very well made but I don’t think they stand out sonically.

If it were me, I’d def be choosing between the Brooklyns and the Sonors. I’d probably go with the Brooklyns, but that’s just because I have a soft spot for Gretsch.
I understand completely. TAMA is what I grew up loving, but Gretsch and Sonor have their own sound. Totally get it. I do think the Japanese companies sound quite similar whereas the heritage brands stand out.

cbphoto

Diamond Member
If one wanted "that Gretsch sound" from any tom or bass, what would need to be modified on the Tama SC? The bearing edges and the loss of one lug? If you don't like the Tama SC maple, mod the bearing edges. Then you'll have the hardware advantages of Tama, which to me are huge.

Rumor has it, Tama got the idea of the thin shelled SC lineup from Gretsch in the late 1980s, but didn't cheap out/added a sixth lug for better/easier tuning.

Either way, you can't go wrong. I saw Keith Carlock perform solo w/ backing tracks in a premium theater at Sweetwater's 2019 Gearfest and his kit's tone was primo.

yammyfan

Are Tama Starclassics Maple/Poplar also? I don't know much about them to be honest.

I would not underestimate the effect that Gretsch's 30 degree edge has, nor the wonderful quality that 302 hoops bring to the table. These are not trivial things.

Faced with the decision, I would choose a Brooklyn and install the Renown's suspension system like NouveauCliche has done.

RK1

I didn’t buy any of the aforementioned. I think after careful thought and following my ears, Ludwig and Gretsch sound better.

Maybe I’ve just changed. TAMA was always my teenage crush and it lasted a while, but there’s something pleasing about the sound of Ludwig and Gretsch.

I just had to be honest with myself. This isn’t a knock on TAMA. It’s just my ears and getting away from an image I wanted to convey. But when it came down to it, Ludwig and Gretsch just sounded…better. Maybe that’s the American in me, but my ears weren’t lying.

My tastes have changed as well. I’m not the speed demon nor hard hitter I once was because that stage has passed. And even though Peter Erskine plays a Star, I don’t have that kind of money nor am I Peter Erskine. We’ve all been through phases and I just needed an honest conversation with my ears. I blame Carter McLean. 😂

Last edited:

RK1

If one wanted "that Gretsch sound" from any tom or bass, what would need to be modified on the Tama SC? The bearing edges and the loss of one lug? If you don't like the Tama SC maple, mod the bearing edges. Then you'll have the hardware advantages of Tama, which to me are huge.

Rumor has it, Tama got the idea of the thin shelled SC lineup from Gretsch in the late 1980s, but didn't cheap out/added a sixth lug for better/easier tuning.

Either way, you can't go wrong. I saw Keith Carlock perform solo w/ backing tracks in a premium theater at Sweetwater's 2019 Gearfest and his kit's tone was primo.
Yeah it’s a great sound. Gretsch makes fantastic drums.

Tiges

There all nice sounding drums its Sonor for me I just think they have a very unique sound to them that is so pleasing nice full rich overtones punchy heaps of attack oh boy love em.