Tama mini snares,

Local Oaf

I’m intrigued. Probably wouldn’t buy one, but it’s fun to consider the stuff you could do with it.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Seems like a fun idea. I'm afraid I might pummel the cute little snare system to death. They would be fun as a 3 up set-up. They have bottom bearing edges too, so the possibility for a bottom head exists.

timmdrum

Silver Member
The badge and shell on this single-headed drum has an air vent. :unsure: Was/is that common on kits with concert toms- did Ludwig, Slingerland, etc. use the same badges as the double-headed drums, and even if so, did they still cut a vent in the shell?

harryconway

Platinum Member
The badge and shell on this single-headed drum has an air vent. :unsure: Was/is that common on kits with concert toms- did Ludwig, Slingerland, etc. use the same badges as the double-headed drums, and even if so, did they still cut a vent in the shell?
Most all badges are held onto the shell by a vent hole grommet, so you'll find most every concert tom to have a vent hole. And Ludwig, Gretsch, Slingerland and Rogers all had/have them.

fl.tom

Interesting Tama in particular did this here. Tama's concert toms in the 70s and 80s did -not- have an air vent, and used a different "rectangular" badge than their usual "T-shape" badge for two-headed drums. A close-up of this rectangular badge can be seen in the following catalog page... on the right under the Concert Tom section:

And the two different badges were consistently used across both the Imperialstar and Superstar series:

Maybe Tama has some plans to use these snares (or at least their shells) for dual-headed models in the future ??? ...

Ghostin one

Tama used to make the STS105M etc. mini tymp snares (10x5, 8x5, and 6x5) that were two inches deeper, and chrome. It seemed like EU distributors had them but not USA.

timmdrum

Silver Member
Most all badges are held onto the shell by a vent hole grommet, so you'll find most every concert tom to have a vent hole. And Ludwig, Gretsch, Slingerland and Rogers all had/have them.
You mean, "used to be held onto the shell by a vent hole grommet", or "a select few companies' badges are held onto the shell by a vent hole grommet", right? Most modern badges are held on with at least a couple of screws these days. Regardless, interesting to know those older companies who made concert toms still had the badge/vent combo. I guess there was no need to make a new, different badge, and using the existing ones without an actual vent woulda looked weird. Plus, I guess they could just take the same shells that would end up double-headed, presumably already vented & badged, and simply not drill/route for lugs/edges on one side.