Tama Iron Cobra Squeaking Issue

TxGroove

My experience with WD-40 is bad. It may “disperse water” but it has never lubricated well for my needs. For tension rods, I prefer a very light petroleum oil, such as sewing machine oil.

What do y’all prefer for lubricating drum part? Has anyone tried silicone or graphite?
Just last night, I was re-tuning my Slingerland drum it. Taking off the hoops and dropping some thick lubricant, sorta like for chainsaws inside the lugs that the tension rods go into, not to much (I have mines in a garage so) I do this every six months ok, call it ocd or whatever. I decided i should lube the hoops along with them. I had Vaseline next to me so, I decided to clothe them down with it. Then I started to think, maybe that's to much of a water lubericant, and went with the metal rust resistant gun lub (Bicycle lube). She sounds like a charm! But, is Vaseline even a option on the lugs or chrome?

TxGroove

This is a fun thread. I just had the same issue with my Iron Cobra. I lubed all the obvious moving parts-still a squeak, I noted the screws on rod from slave loose so tightened it up-seemed less. Then I notice the pedal wasn't tight on bass drum-squeak reduced but still there. Finally I lubed the chain on cam-squeak finally gone. Maybe just take it off-spray it all down with Water Dispersal 40 and then put back on with everything tightened up. Save you the trouble of missing something.
Sounds like a good idea, but let's see how it last eh. I also lube the chain, I ALWAYS treat any Iron Cobra like it's a bicycle... Just me... interested in how others use theirs. I think it's more for practice or live punk'ish gigs

mindmischief

jumping on this thread to ask a question. do ya'll only lub your pedals or do you lube up any and all metal to metal contact stuff? tension rods and such?

cbphoto

Gold Member
do ya'll only lube your pedals or do you lube up any and all metal to metal contact stuff? tension rods and such?
I've never fussed with my Iron Cobra pedal in the 10+ years I've owned it. I have cleaned mud off the pedalboard, but that's about it.

When I get a new drum (every few years) I remove the tension rods, clean them, and put 1 drop of 3-in-1 oil on each rod before I thread it back in. Also, while the hoops are off, I check the tightness of all internal screws. No lube on them, tho.

bud7h4

Silver Member
jumping on this thread to ask a question. do ya'll only lub your pedals or do you lube up any and all metal to metal contact stuff? tension rods and such?
I don't oil anything on my pedals. Oil attracts dust and dirt, and I don't want to have to clean them more often just because of having lubed them.
If I oil anything mechanical it's only something that will be routinely cleaned and lubed again. Lawn equipment, guns, dirt bike, etc. No pedals lol.
I have oiled u-joints on double pedal driveshafts, years ago, but that's because they were not high quality, and oiling them was a last resort method of keeping them smooth (er).

They do make silicon cloths, those might be a good idea. Never thought of that until just now.

Last edited:

TxGroove

do ya'll only lub your pedals or do you lube up any and all metal to metal contact stuff? tension rods and such?
I lube my pedals and tension rods.

For my pedal, I take it apart and spray White Lithium Grease (CRC) onto my bearings and all the moving parts, the white grease sticks better and last almost a year. I then use a slightly thinner but long lasting clear grease on the chain. Some people will actually change their pedal bearings to skateboard bearings such as "Bone Bearings" for smoother and faster action (All bearings are the same sizes). That's only if you wanna geek out...

As for the Drums itself, I maintenance the tension rods down with a gel lube such as; Super Lube or Sil-Glyde Lubricant. I'm thinking vasoline is to thin for the long haul. The two lubricant brands I mentioned can withstand harsh elements and last longer. Rust is evident but can be maintained. If I do the tension rods, I'll usually pat down the hoops with the same clear grease I use on my chain for my pedal. After I'm finished with everything, I whip down any access that remains.

I do this every 6-9 months, if possible.

TJK

Take a Marlboro red out of a fresh pack of freshly packed against your palm for 5 minutes out of the carton you bought today because it was payday and damn I miss smoking; break the tip off of the perfectly printed DARK Marlboro ink tobacco wrapper and put it in your spring!

vyacheslav

The lube I use for hi-hats and bass drum pedals is Tri-Flow. It's on the pricey side but works wonders. It has Teflon, so it actually cleans as it lubricates and protects. Lasts a really long time too.

For a squeaky spring, just stuff it with a cotton ball or two. No more squeak!

Reactions: TJK