Tama Iron Cobra Squeaking Issue

Chunkaway

Silver Member
I have a Tama Iron Cobra pedal that squeaks like crazy. The squeaks seem to be coming from the spring. Has anyone else had this problem? Can the spring simply be replaced?

Treverer

The squeaking on my Iron Cobra came from the rod connection. A small amount WD40 in the general direction fixed it ever since.

TxGroove

You might have the head pulled back to far. I like to adjust my beater about 15 degrees from the head, so it doesn't have to rotate to much for it to strike and pretty much direct. It doesn't take to much power to use mines. Yet, I get some squeaking from it occasionally, but not to much. If it does happen, i'll either hit the edges with WD40, but I like to avoid WD40, simply because it's a thin lubricant and doesn't do much. Or, i'll re-lube the bearings with some non lithium white grease or bicycle lube. Not to complicated. The Iron Cobra was built to be strong but yet maintenance over time. They'll eventually out live the drummer, almost turtle like.

Last edited:

bud7h4

Silver Member
The squeaking on my Iron Cobra came from the rod connection. A small amount WD40 in the general direction fixed it ever since.
This is where mine squeaked also. A couple drops of whatever gun lube I had at the time worked perfectly.

Treverer

Sure? You mean the cardan joints in between, right? I would consider these to have squealing issues sometimes.
This or where the rod connects, because the screws holding it in place are not perfect and their might be some wiggle as well. Either way, a minimal WD40 solved it up until now completely.

cbphoto

Gold Member
Definitely seems to be coming from the spring.
It *could* be coming from the "Quick Hook" that the spring attaches to at the top. It has a bearing in it for smooth action, and that bearing could be shot. Either way, both parts (quick hook & spring) are replaceable. Find your pedal and parts here. Your Tama dealer will be able to order them for you.

beatdat

I had a squeak develop on my TAMA SC pedal. Turned out to be the chain making contact with the cam. I cut a piece of 3M felt and stuck it on the cam where the chain makes contact when the pedal is played, and that solved the problem. Maybe give that a try.

Chunkaway

Silver Member
It *could* be coming from the "Quick Hook" that the spring attaches to at the top. It has a bearing in it for smooth action, and that bearing could be shot. Either way, both parts (quick hook & spring) are replaceable. Find your pedal and parts here. Your Tama dealer will be able to order them for you.
Thank you very much!

Hollywood Jim

Platinum Member
Thank you guys. Thank you so much. You just helped me find a name for my new band.
We have a band meeting today. I'm going to suggest that we call ourselves
"Squeaking Cobra".

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
This is a fun thread. I just had the same issue with my Iron Cobra. I lubed all the obvious moving parts-still a squeak, I noted the screws on rod from slave loose so tightened it up-seemed less. Then I notice the pedal wasn't tight on bass drum-squeak reduced but still there. Finally I lubed the chain on cam-squeak finally gone. Maybe just take it off-spray it all down with Water Dispersal 40 and then put back on with everything tightened up. Save you the trouble of missing something.

cbphoto

Gold Member
My experience with WD-40 is bad. It may “disperse water” but it has never lubricated well for my needs. For tension rods, I prefer a very light petroleum oil, such as sewing machine oil.

What do y’all prefer for lubricating drum part? Has anyone tried silicone or graphite?

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
My experience with WD-40 is bad. It may “disperse water” but it has never lubricated well for my needs. For tension rods, I prefer a very light petroleum oil, such as sewing machine oil.

What do y’all prefer for lubricating drum part? Has anyone tried silicone or graphite?
Yeah that's true-WD 40 really just cleans it more than lubricates it. So spray with WD 40 to get rid of build up gunk and then use a dry silicone or graphite that won't gunk up seems like a great idea. A penetrating oil works fine too but gunk will build up-a dry lubricant might not be so bad??