Tama Iron Cobra/Speed Cobra and Hinge Play

Scottie15

Long story short: bought the original speed cobras when they came out, but noticed considerable hinge play on them. Apparently, so did everyone else because Tama re-designed them and the Iron Cobras. Switched to the Iron Cobras 4 years ago with the upgraded hinge block, and I am now experiencing hinge play in the left slave pedal.

I know hinge play is sort of unavoidable, but man, Tama can't seem to figure out how to prevent hinge play from occurring. Thinking about making a switch to the Pearl Redline Eliminators. Curious if anyone has had any experience with them.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Long story short: bought the original speed cobras when they came out, but noticed considerable hinge play on them. Apparently, so did everyone else because Tama re-designed them and the Iron Cobras. Switched to the Iron Cobras 4 years ago with the upgraded hinge block, and I am now experiencing hinge play in the left slave pedal.

I know hinge play is sort of unavoidable, but man, Tama can't seem to figure out how to prevent hinge play from occurring. Thinking about making a switch to the Pearl Redline Eliminators. Curious if anyone has had any experience with them.
I play P902 with a Trick driveshaft. Its similar to the Redline in that it is a PowerShifter. The pedal is probably 20 years old and has no play in the heel plate.

Its the metal circlip/grommets that they use on the ends of the hinge assembly rod, these rupture over time with all the lateral movement from your foot. They're still in the same arrangement from old to new models, they've just tried to isolate any strain on the heel with the new ´Hinge Guard Block´. Probably prolongs longevity but the same problem occurs after time eventually, as most people who own the pedals will attest.

drummerbuzz

If you want ZERO side to side hinge play , check out the DW9000s. They are a heavier pedal tho.
I owned the 2002C Eliminators for 11 yrs and they had very slight hinge play. The pearl reps sent some free footboards replacements even after owning the pedals for 7 yrs.

Philaiy9

I wouldn't say hinge play is unavoidable. My DW 5000 doesn't have it (after putting on the modern red hinge) and I don't think I've ever played a modern high-end pedal that did. Even my modified 30 year old Speed King has only the slightest bit of play.

Tama definitely needs to make a change, as you said.

Justinhub2003

I play P902 with a Trick driveshaft. Its similar to the Redline in that it is a PowerShifter. The pedal is probably 20 years old and has no play in the heel plate.

This is my same pedal setup as well. I have that and the Trick Big Foot double pedal.

After owning nearly every high end pedal on the marker in the last 2 years, I can confidently say that the redline double pedal in combo with the trick drive shaft is by far the best setup I’ve played and it feels every bit as good as the day I bought it