Tama Iron Cobra - my first double bass pedal

SomeBadDrummer

Found this Iron Cobra at the local MGR. The tag description of condition was “Rough”. Someone had lost one of the beater set screws and were holding the slave beater with clamps and duct tape. They had also managed to invert the nuts inside the rod, preventing the screws from tightening. More duct tape was their solution for this problem as well.

Needless to say everything was wonky and loose. I took everything apart and sprayed it down with WD40, then wiped it all down. Repeatedly. I’ve seen lots of used gear but this was exceptionally grimy; apparently the previous owner failed not only basic mechanics but also general hygiene.
Once it was sanitary, clean and oiled up I put the rod assembly back together properly, pirated a beater set screw from another pedal, and voila- it works flawlessly with now rattle or looseness of any kind.
I have played DB pedals many times but never owned one. I am rather excited about having one at my disposal anytime. 😛

Here are some after and before shots.

CFA74447-5BA4-410F-9811-983EDBE13D83.jpeg

Attachments

• 2EB9F69F-B9A1-472F-9179-E508FF472DBD.jpeg
    2EB9F69F-B9A1-472F-9179-E508FF472DBD.jpeg
    584.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 648E8C57-D06C-42D9-A8CF-C5E178D76319.jpeg
    648E8C57-D06C-42D9-A8CF-C5E178D76319.jpeg
    456.5 KB · Views: 10

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
My brother plays (or did) IC double. I've played it a few times and liked it just fine.

What's this thing?
20210725_135715.jpg

SomeBadDrummer

My brother plays (or did) IC double. I've played it a few times and liked it just fine.

What's this thing?
View attachment 106665

If you’re referring to the item inside the head, it’s a mouse pad showing bull horns courtesy of my office.
If it’s the white strip, that’s some foam weather stripping to augment the other stuff inside- a blanket, a towel and a small piece of foam egg crate. however with the beaters shortened up the foam was interfering and had to go.

I have not been able to cut loose yet with family stuff but it’s a very smooth pedals (is that proper grammar?) and loving it/them so far.

BTW is it a.) a double bass pedal or, b.) double bass pedals? I’ve always used the former, rarely heard the latter, is either one correct?

bud7h4

Silver Member
BTW is it a.) a double bass pedal or, b.) double bass pedals? I’ve always used the former, rarely heard the latter, is either one correct?

According to manufacturers it's twin pedal or double pedal. No "s" unless you're referring to more than one unit, for example shopping in the "double pedals" section.

"I just bought my second double pedal"
"I now own two double pedals"

Last edited:

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
If you’re referring to the item inside the head, it’s a mouse pad showing bull horns courtesy of my office.
That be the thing. Does it help at all? They make pretty good practice pads.

SomeBadDrummer

Does it help at all? They make pretty good practice pads.
It’s really tough to say how much it helps, probably not much but I figured it can’t hurt, or was I wrong about that? It probably does some weird sound reflex thing that unintentionally increases the volume :rolleyes:

SomeBadDrummer

According to manufacturers it's twin pedal or double pedal. No "s" unless you're referring to more than one unit, for example shopping in the "double pedals" section.

"I just bought my second double pedal"
"I now own two double pedals"
Thanks!
“I now own a single double pedal”

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
My Iron Cobra double pedal looks exactly like it-but I took off the slave and it's my go to single pedal. It is very agile. I put on slave pedal and try double pedal every now and then and it has really helped my left foot develop but I use the new found dexterity to control my hi hats and like popping accents. Nice find.

SomeBadDrummer

My Iron Cobra double pedal looks exactly like it-but I took off the slave and it's my go to single pedal. It is very agile. I put on slave pedal and try double pedal every now and then and it has really helped my left foot develop but I use the new found dexterity to control my hi hats and like popping accents. Nice find.
In addition to practicing speed, I also started teaching myself to play the bass drum single pedal with my left foot. Like any new skill it takes regular consistent practice…and more mental acuity and awareness than I have had to exercise while playing for many years. It’s not as much fun as playing stuff I am pretty good at, but it will at some point be worth the effort 😓