Tama Iron Cobra 900P Advice

Chopstix44

Hi, if I’m lucky enough I could replace my Pearl 2000B with a Tama Iron Cobra 900P.
As I’m on a budget I’m looking for used ones in great condition, and there are some really affordable offers at EBay Classifieds but I’m a bit worried that they’re very old and will be defective soon although they look great.
So, does anyone know what year Tama had a black font on the Cams saying „Powerglide“?

There are also a few good offers on the 2016 models but how are they compared to the one of 2010‘s? Smoother? Heavier?

The IC pedals after 2008/11 have the ”Cobra Coil”. The pedals after 2015/9 have the “Power Strike” beaters. From the schematics, the rest look very similar.

The IC pedals after 2008/11 have the ”Cobra Coil”. The pedals after 2015/9 have the “Power Strike” beaters. From the schematics, the rest look very similar.

Ok. So just new beaters? Are they heavier or lighter than the old ones?

i have that new beater on my rolling glide 900 and it's too light for me, i use a DW felt beater

There are also a few good offers on the 2016 models but how are they compared to the one of 2010‘s? Smoother? Heavier?

If you can get a 2016+ model don't hesitate. They got major upgrades; wider base plate, new heel plate design, Lite Sprocket (like the speed cobra), redesigned spring assembly, new beaters (I prefer the classic style). And if I'm not mistaken after all these upgrades Tama didn't increase the suggested retail prices.

Last edited:
I have an IC Power Glide double pedal from 2006 and 2 single Power Glide pedals i got 2 years ago or so. Although different pedals (double and single), the feel, construction and weight is very much the same. There are some cosmetic changes and the beaters have changed. I also prefer the older beaters (i call them the flat discs) opposed to the 'hammers' the have now. Changed the beaters on my single pedals to the old wood discs (same as my double pedal).

I used the double pedal for over 10 years before going double bass; the durability (if you take proper care of it) is almost infinite.

the durability (if you take proper care of it) is almost infinite.
What do you consider “proper care”?

I wipe mine down, check the fittings and check the spring and bearings (for squeaks and smoothness/roughness), but that’s about all I can do. I’ve never replaced a bearing.

What do you consider “proper care”?

I wipe mine down, check the fittings and check the spring and bearings (for squeaks and smoothness/roughness), but that’s about all I can do. I’ve never replaced a bearing.
That. And transport it in the proper cases, don't throw it around in the car etc.
Maybe 'handle with care' is a more proper way to say it :)

Back