Tama Iron Cobra 600 Compared to Older 900

trickg

Silver Member
Hey everyone. I wanted to start this thread because I'm *this* close to being able to have a near duplicate setup of gear so that I can have a gig kit in the cases, ready to go, and a practice kit at home.

My kick pedal is an older Tama Iron Cobra 900 Rolling Glide. This pedal was initially purchased as a Power Glide, but I swapped in a RG cam. It was also made before the addition of the Cobra Coil.

Initially, I had thought about investing in a whole new IC 900 pedal, but from what I can see, the current IC 600 is pretty much what the older 900 was.

As for the beater, I know that the new 600 comes with a different beater, but that's a non-issue because I put IC beaters on a DW 3000 double I'd had at one point. I sold that pedal, but kept the IC beaters.

Does anyone here have experience with both and might be able to lend some insight to the 600? My goal here is to get a pedal for my practice kit that's as close as possible to my gig pedal.

trickg

Silver Member
I must be terrible at creating threads because I never really get any response. No one here has any experience with the Tama IC 600?

moneydog59

I have no experience with the 900. I have the 600, both single and double. They are on a couple of practice kits at the rehearsal spaces (2 different bands, one is on my kit the other is on the guitar players kit) I play mostly heel down. I love this pedal. I gig with a Speed Cobra, and I am considering selling the SC and picking up the 600 to gig with. it's smooth, and feels really "balanced" if that makes sense. no adjustments either, used it right out of the box. hope this helps.

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member
I've played a lot of ICs, but don't think I've ever paid attention to the model number.

Is it a direct replacement of the 900?

trickg

Silver Member
I find the dumber the thread, the faster the response. If you would have posted:

Are Tama Iron Cobra 600 good pedels? What about 900?

You probably would have has 10-15 responses by now.
You mean like all of those threads like, "what's better, the IC or Eliminator!?!?!?" Hahaha!

I've played a lot of ICs, but don't think I've ever paid attention to the model number.

Is it a direct replacement of the 900?
I don't think it's a direct replacement for the 900 because they still sell the 900. Since I bought mine, Tama added the Cobra Coil spring under the footboard - mine does not have that. My IC 900 is roughly 10 years old, give or take.

I think I'm going to go ahead and get the IC 600. From what I can see, it's basically the same pedal as my older IC 900 RG, and that pedal is my jam.

Mongrel

Silver Member
Why not get a used 900RG? They are out there and usually a good bargain.

As for thread popularity...

Maybe you should have mentioned that you just installed a wooden foot board on an IC 900?

(run...duck...hide...)

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member
I haven't tried it, but that spring under the pedal sounds like a bad idea from afar.

trickg

Silver Member
Why not get a used 900RG? They are out there and usually a good bargain.

As for thread popularity...

Maybe you should have mentioned that you just installed a wooden foot board on an IC 900?

(run...duck...hide...)
I thought about it - they usually run around $80-$100, depending on condition, and then there's shipping. A brand new IC 600 is $109. Seemed like a better way to go.

trickg

Silver Member
Just as an update, I went ahead and ordered the IC 600. When it gets here I'll make a point to take some pics and do a full detailed comparison to my older IC 900. While that won't exactly be a direct comparison to pedals in the current Tama lineup, it will at least shed some more light on what the 600 does and does not have.

Some people report that it's actually faster and smoother than many other pedals out there - it's going to be nice to get it to see.

When I ordered it, it said to expect it on the 10th, but as of the moment, I'm not seeing any (Amazon) tracking information on it. In any case, hopefully I'll have it by midweek.

trickg

Silver Member
Good day everyone!

I got my Iron Cobra 600 yesterday, and I had a chance to fiddle with it a bit today.

There are some differences to be sure, but anywhere it really matters, the pedals are mostly the same, and after swapping out the 600 beater for another IC beater that I had, and switching the cam over from Power Glide to Rolling Glide, I've been able to virtually duplicate the exact same feel as my older IC 900.

I'll post a more comprehensive comparison thread with photos that illustrate the small differences, but for now I'm a pretty danged happy camper because I haven't had a backup kick pedal for years, and this IC 600 gets it done quite nicely.

Real quick though, there's one difference that is bugging me just ever so slightly, and that's the footboard/heel plate hinge. On the IC 600 there's just a touch of slop in that junction - maybe somewhere between 1/16th and 1/32nd of slop. With the IC 900, it appears that the footplate hinge is actually incorporates small bearing wheels, and there's virtually no slop - this is after years of use.

The IC 600 looks like it has a simple pin-style hinge that is held in place by some allen screws, and there are bronze bushings between the footboard and heel plate to mitigate friction. I don't know if I could tighten that up with some small nylon washers or slightly thicker bronze bushings or not - it's not likely to cause any kind of real issue, but if I had my druthers, I would like to eliminate that side-to-side slop there.

There are some fairly simple "upgrades" I could make to this pedal that would make it nigh indistinguishable functionally from the IC 900 without the Cobra Coil -

-- Vari-pitch beater holder - the IC 600 has a fixed angle beater holder
-- Toe stop - not sure if the toe stop is necessarily a "good" thing
-- Cobra Coil

That's pretty much it. The way the pedal is set up, most of the parts for the IC 900 will fit on the IC 600, but I don't feel like I need the vari-pitch beater holder. While mine on the IC 900 is set to the zero position, it's ever so slightly different than the fixed angle IC 600, but it's close enough that it isn't really an issue.

As for the Cobra Coil, it seems that Tama has changed the floor plate design. I couldn't install a Cobra Coil on my old IC 900, but the newer IC 600 has a slot in the floor plate for it, and it's only a $20 part.

IMO, the IC 600 is a great value. It has almost all of the goodness of the IC 900 with a price tag that's $100 cheaper. (for the single - I can't speak to the similarities on the double - it's possible that the linkage is way different and much cheaper than the IC 900 double's linkage setup.)

Last edited:

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
I used to have an Iron Cobra and Iron Cobra Jr. and it didn't take much adjusting to make both pedals feel identical. I guess I'm not surprised there still isn't a whole lot of difference in feel between the different tiers...