Tama Imperialstar clone

Papist

Hello esteemed collogues.

I bought a snare sight-unseen through facebook marketplace. Turns out it is a clone of a Tama Kingbeat Imperialstar, complete with the parallel strainer. 14"x6.5".

It was in pretty rough shape; dirty as all get out, heads trashed, missing some screws but the snare "snappy" is salvageable. I say for sure that it's a clone because, while the lugs and snare apparatus look VERY similar to the Tama, there are no Tama labels and the casting is VERY crude. Also, the shell does have a seam which is very noticeable on the inside.

I'm in process of cleaning it after dismantling. I do confess that this is giving me a great deal of joy, even if this drum is not worth doo doo. The thing I find interesting is the only label on the drum; it appears that it was originally sold by Mollenhauer & Sohne-Folda. I'm attaching a pic as well as the translation. This music store-manufacturer is somewhere in Germany. They have been internationally known for quality flutes and currently are making recorders which are supposed to be the bees knees.

No real questions here. I'm sure this drum isn't worth squat, but so far I only have about $40 invested, including shipping (it came from Massachusetts I think). So if anyone wants to chime in with info or whatever, thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_0485.JPEG
    IMG_0485.JPEG
    777.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0486a.PNG
    IMG_0486a.PNG
    375.9 KB · Views: 15
Hello esteemed collogues.

I bought a snare sight-unseen through facebook marketplace. Turns out it is a clone of a Tama Kingbeat Imperialstar, complete with the parallel strainer. 14"x6.5".

It was in pretty rough shape; dirty as all get out, heads trashed, missing some screws but the snare "snappy" is salvageable. I say for sure that it's a clone because, while the lugs and snare apparatus look VERY similar to the Tama, there are no Tama labels and the casting is VERY crude. Also, the shell does have a seam which is very noticeable on the inside.

I'm in process of cleaning it after dismantling. I do confess that this is giving me a great deal of joy, even if this drum is not worth doo doo. The thing I find interesting is the only label on the drum; it appears that it was originally sold by Mollenhauer & Sohne-Folda. I'm attaching a pic as well as the translation. This music store-manufacturer is somewhere in Germany. They have been internationally known for quality flutes and currently are making recorders which are supposed to be the bees knees.

No real questions here. I'm sure this drum isn't worth squat, but so far I only have about $40 invested, including shipping (it came from Massachusetts I think). So if anyone wants to chime in with info or whatever, thanks.
Nice! Fun project and no huge financial hit. Worst comes to worst you can leave it in your trunk as an emergency snare or you can turn it into an effect drum.

If anyone's interested, I've got it done to the extent I am able. Even missing a tension rod (batter side) I think it sound pretty good. Better than some drums I've played with a band. In front of an audience. This week. Pictures attached. Note my "precision work" as opposed to the work of a machine shop. My drum budget is blown until I sell some stuff. Anyone interested in some Zildjian Scimitar's?

Attachments

• IMG_0496.JPEG
    IMG_0496.JPEG
    846.3 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0497.JPEG
    IMG_0497.JPEG
    824.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0498.JPEG
    IMG_0498.JPEG
    1 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0499.JPEG
    IMG_0499.JPEG
    1,013.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0501.JPEG
    IMG_0501.JPEG
    898 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0502.JPEG
    IMG_0502.JPEG
    790.2 KB · Views: 8
It looks pretty good. Peace and goodwill.

Back