Tama Hyperdrive or Ludwig Centennial?

Nestemaster

Hi everyone,

I was going to buy a new Ludwig Centennial set like the one below (with all that hardware) for 1.400€ .

But I just saw a guy who is selling a Tama Hyperdrive like the one below (shells only)

The thing is I like big sets like the Ludwig and i don't really think I could use the double bass setup of the Tama too often, so is it really worth the price of the Tama Hyperdrive? Or should I go for the new Ludwig?

Ludwig Centennial:

Bass: 24" x 16"

Tom: 13"x 10"
Floor tom: 16"x 16"
Floor tom: 18"x 16"

6990956_800.jpg

Tama Hyperdrive:

Bass: 22" x 18"
Tom: 10"
Tom: 12"
Floor tom: 14"
Floor tom: 16"

10261999_10153787761084544_4358798472961762519_n.jpg

I would go with the Centennial if you are not in to double bass setups. I don't know what either kit is made of, but both are probably of similar quality. Those Centennial sizes are pretty nice as well. 24x16 bass setup should sound pretty good.

I'd get the Ludwig. That's a totally classy looking set.

I'm sure the Tama is a fine set too, but hauling those two big bass drums around would get to be a chore quickly.

I have a set of the Hyperdrives and LOVE them. Of course I fell in love with them first time I saw them…
They are birch, (I'd take a guess and say those are as well) but as of last year they went to maple. The shallower toms allow more placement choices in my opinion and they still deliver some great sounds. Plus I love Tama Gear. It's tough and works well.

That said, sounds like you would not enjoy the extra bass drum, or possibly the shallower depths of the toms (you said you like bigger kits, I assume you mean sizes). I don't have experience with the Ludwigs but from what I see they are comparable to the Tama's.

Back