tama hi-hat stand comparison

rocker261

I need a new hi-hat stand, and narrowed down my choices to either the Tama HH805 or HH905 Iron Cobra models. The only difference between seems to be that the 805 has the chain direct pull, and the 905 has the Kevlar lever glide pull. I play hard rock exclusively and wondered which is the better choice for that genre. I am partial to chain drives like the 805, but wondered if the 905 would treat me better?

I need a new hi-hat stand, and narrowed down my choices to either the Tama HH805 or HH905 Iron Cobra models. The only difference between seems to be that the 805 has the chain direct pull, and the 905 has the Kevlar lever glide pull. I play hard rock exclusively and wondered which is the better choice for that genre. I am partial to chain drives like the 805, but wondered if the 905 would treat me better?

I played on the Lever Glide for years, that is a heavy duty badass stand. I'm not sure I noticed any difference in lever vs. direct or chain vs. kevlar but it played great.

I've played both. The 905 lever glide allows for a greater degree of feathering/subtle opening of the hats. The control if provides is perfect, IMO. I play a lot of 8th notes on mine and it has never failed, and after 15 years have yet to replace anything on it. There's nothing else on the market like it, AFAIK.

I have the Speed Cobra version of the lever glide pedal. It's phenomenal. It's heavy, as hi-hat stands should be imo, so it isn't going anywhere.

The sensitivity is better than any hi-hat stand I've played, and it takes less effort due to the lever design, which is great for stomping out 8th notes while playing on the ride.

I'm never going back to a straight pull pedal again.

I bought mine a few months ago, just before they raised the price from $240 to $280. It's a bummer, but I'd probably still pay that much, it's worth it.

You guys are good salespeople. I'm about to buy one now.

Is the stability on those two-leg versions good?

Yes, and there's a third "fake leg"
michaelscott.jpg

Another vote for the Lever Glide. I still have mine from '90 and it's still going strong. Though I don't gig w/ it due to its weight. It's on the practice kit.

The 2-leg version allows you to tilt it for better positioning.

Anyone with commentary on the DW 5500TD, or comparison of that to the Tama HH905? I've got the DW5000 foot pedals, so maybe their hi hat stand would be a better choice.

Anyone with commentary on the DW 5500TD, or comparison of that to the Tama HH905? I've got the DW5000 foot pedals, so maybe their hi hat stand would be a better choice.

I own both. The Tama is better in pretty much every way.

The Tama is more stable. The DW isn't bad, but it can shift around easier.

The DW's hardware is nice...but the Tama's is even better. It has more premium looking chroming, and opening and extending the legs feels so smooth compared to everything I've used before. It feels like quality.

The Tama has better features too...a foldable baseplate for transport, and has a 3rd leg underneath the baseplate so you can tilt the entire thing. It works great.

And the Tama has the lever. I will never go back to a straight chain pull again. It's more effortless to use, allows you to play more precisely and faster with less effort.

Only downside, the Tama won't match your other pedals. I'd still get the Tama.

Rocker, go for the lever glide.

I just got mine in the mail today. It's great.

My wife thought I bought a Razor scooter without wheels.

Back