Tama finishes..

Vandalay

Let me begin by saying I'm a 60 year old man who plays Tama, and thinks their build quality is as good as anyone out there. But when it comes to their finishes, does anyone think they're a little "out there?" I could go the sparkle route (which to me is a bit bland) marine pearl is ok, but the laquer finishes? that pink/purple swirl thing to me is hideous, and the others hit a sour note with me too. it just seems they have basic & wild exotic finishes with nothing in between

Do I like all their finishes? No. But that’s true of any drum company’s work. Tama keeps it fresh by trying different approaches to their finishes. But beware, once a finish is taken off the market, there is a limited time in which you can order add-on drums in the same finish. They will always have gloss black & gloss white, though, in their Starclassic lineup.

I also think it’s a way to make a kit more valuable with a finish that is no longer available.

Scorched Copper Burst:

Tama%20Starclassic%20Bubinga.jpg

Scorched Copper Burst:

Tama%20Starclassic%20Bubinga.jpg

I'm pretty sure I've mentioned this to you before (I've got some SC Bubingas as well), but I'm gonna mention it again.... that kit/finish is one of my all time favorites, regardless of kit/manufacturer/finish

Love that kit!

CJ

I'm pretty sure I've mentioned this to you before (I've got some SC Bubingas as well), but I'm gonna mention it again.... that kit/finish is one of my all time favorites, regardless of kit/manufacturer/finish

Love that kit!

CJ

Thanks, CJ!

I played out last night and received all kinds of compliments about its finish. I fell in love with it at first sight. It's a keeper!

but the laquer finishes?

I agree that some of the newer color schemes they chose are not the most appealing.. however some they have used recently are incredible IMO. This finish is a SWIRL LACQUER and if ANY OTHER COMPANY did something like this , I think people would be going on and on how incredible it is. But since it's Tama you don't hear anything.

jlvpe3jvsso1nc8tphga.jpg

I agree that some of the newer color schemes they chose are not the most appealing.. however some they have used recently are incredible IMO. This finish is a SWIRL LACQUER and if ANY OTHER COMPANY did something like this , I think people would be going on and on how incredible it is. But since it's Tama you don't hear anything.

jlvpe3jvsso1nc8tphga.jpg

I appreciate you pointing that out, Artstar. When Yamaha did the lacquer thing with their "Blue Swirl" and "Orange Swirl" kits it was like a bunch of freshman in a senior girls locker room. Prices on those kits are astronomical if you can find them as far as I can tell.

I haven't quite figured it out yet, but for some reason, Tama is like the wallflower of drum forums.... Like some dirty little secret or something lol. Not so much bad press as "no press".

Payback for ruling the drum realm without equal for so many years? lol (Maybe that should go in the "unpopular drum opinions" thread?)

I wish I could send my Transparent Black Performers back to them and have them apply that finish. Absolutely killer imo.

Let me begin by saying I'm a 60 year old man who plays Tama, and thinks their build quality is as good as anyone out there. But when it comes to their finishes, does anyone think they're a little "out there?"

YES. I've always felt that way about Tama's finishes. There are a few that I like (Charcoal Onyx and Molten Brown Burst), but the rest are too flamboyant for me.

I want classy or 'mature' finishes, and while Tama has a few, most of them are not.

Last edited:
I appreciate you pointing that out, Artstar. When Yamaha did the lacquer thing with their "Blue Swirl" and "Orange Swirl" kits it was like a bunch of freshman in a senior girls locker room. Prices on those kits are astronomical if you can find them as far as I can tell.

I haven't quite figured it out yet, but for some reason, Tama is like the wallflower of drum forums.... Like some dirty little secret or something lol. Not so much bad press as "no press".

Payback for ruling the drum realm without equal for so many years? lol (Maybe that should go in the "unpopular drum opinions" thread?)

I wish I could send my Transparent Black Performers back to them and have them apply that finish. Absolutely killer imo.

Yeah and the most surprising thing about it is that type finish is coming out of the Tama China factory. Nobody has anything close IMO with doing something with lacquer without wood grain showing. It's the closest thing to an Ibanez Swirl guitar and funny enough they are part of the same organization.

Some of the louder STAR finishes really appeal to me — the atomic orange, coral pink and aqua blue in particular. Vinnie Colaiuta’s yellow Gretsch he used with Zappa and of course, Tony Williams’s iconic yellow kit have inspired me to embrace those kinds of finishes.

Let me begin by saying I'm a 60 year old man who plays Tama, and thinks their build quality is as good as anyone out there. But when it comes to their finishes, does anyone think they're a little "out there?" I could go the sparkle route (which to me is a bit bland) marine pearl is ok, but the laquer finishes? that pink/purple swirl thing to me is hideous, and the others hit a sour note with me too. it just seems they have basic & wild exotic finishes with nothing in between

It's no mystery that TAMA markets their midrange kits to the younger crowd, of which I'm no longer a member. I'll say this though, the quality of their finishes and hardware are top notch. I've always found a few "adult" finishes in their catalog that appealed to me. The Star lineup is gorgeous. YMMV

I get where you’re coming from. Tama and DW are the leaders in coming up with new finishes in my opinion. Tama specially at affordable prices. Yamaha, Gretsch and Pearl perhaps not so much.
They look good, but doesn’t age well.

For that reason most of my drums are in natural wood finishes, so they stand the test of time.

I really don't see th problem with Tama finishes :
pen_MR32CZS_RWO_01.png

Perfect to play for the local butcher festival.

pen_WBS42S_LLO_01.png

Many plain awful finishes.
The Tama Walnut / Birch hasn't got many finish I could live with...
As I've already written on another topic, it's Ok to be creative, but at least keeps some transparent black, transparent cherry, piano white, silver sparkles or just natural wood for those who want colour that age better.

Sorry, i wouldn't be happy with most of those finishes. Matter of taste.

I’d hit this all day:

TB7ZS_SYL.jpg

This one, too:

TW52S_MGM.jpg

But this one I’d probably throw on the burn pile:

pen_STAR_MAPLE_00_01_CRP_tom.png

You don't like black. Or black onyx. Or aged onyx.Or blue onyx. Or a mahogany stain.OK I give up.

Of course piano black would be my go to on that list, but, if I check out Performer 2000's catalog, for instance :
2001Digest_Catalog_01.jpg

Far less flashy set of colours, I agree, but Amber gold, transparent black, White or black silk, transparent walnut or violet, natural birch, transparent green or indigo, those are maybe more common but most of them seems timeless. I could live with all the colours shown on that page (ok, not burnt orange...)
OK, I don't fancy much ripples or fades, I guess I'm "has been" : now it's official LoL - but totally accept it ! - The OP seems on the same track though.

Notice that DW, on it's Design line chose very few finishes, but they seem all bang on.

Last edited:
Back