Tama Cobra Coil

EssKayKay

Does anyone know if a Tama Cobra Coil (#CC900S) will fit on a Tama Iron Cobra 200 (HP200PTW) pedal? Literature states they fit “any” Iron Cobra but I have read one place where it may require some modification. If it works without a hitch, I’ll pop for the 20 bucks (pretty cheap), but I really don’t want to have to screw around with this thing too much.

Thanks. . . .

I wouldn't bother with it. Most people take them out anyways...

If you really insist, it should. I used to use the IC600's which are the double chain version of the 200's and they would've worked on those.

have them on mine & really like it :)

I think the irony of the coil is that it's most effective at slower movement. At higher speeds, whether fast double bass or just fast doubles on a single pedal, the last thing you want is the footboard springing up ahead of the rebounding beater. This obviously causes slack in the chain. Lol, it's not the footboard that needs to rebound quickly, it's the beater. The footboard will move with the beater no matter how insane the speed is.

But at slower speeds, just playing a groove or whatever, some people like the feel of the coil against the foot pressure. It's very subtle but can be effective in some way I suppose.

i use a speedcobra doublepedal. i have the cobra coil adjusted closer toward the bottom of the kick drum.

i think ill remove the cobra coils and see how it feels, i know alot of drummers out there remove the cobra coil springs for personal reasons so i figure its worth trying the pedal without the cobra spring coils to see how it feels,,,
we will see how it goes and what it does in difference of feel or pedal bounce back reaction.

have you guys removed the cobra coil spring located under the footboard?
and way? what have you noticed a difference in the pedal function with the coil on or the coils removed.

any good tips on maintaining my speedcobara's good proper function,
taking the pedal apart to clean and lube the bearings?
anyway help would be great! thanks in advance

have you guys removed the cobra coil spring located under the footboard?
and why? what have you noticed a difference in the pedal function with the coil on or the coils removed.

I just adjusted them all the way forward. This takes them out of play.

Some people like them though. I'm pretty sure the coil was designed to possibly reduce fatigue but they are most effective when the weight of your foot is never really lifted from the pedal. When you do quick, snappy movements the footboard can rebound ahead of the actual rebound of the beater.

On a side note, many people thing the coil spring is there for more speed.

It's not.
Just think about the pedal design; with regards to speed, why would you add rebound to just the footboard? No matter how much faster the footboard rebounds, it does not affect the rebound speed of the beater. What you end up with is this footboard with it's own mind, contributing nothing to the actual motion or the pedal's working rebound mechanism.

The rebound of the foot board does effect the beater... SMH. Without the cobra coil the beater has to lift the pedal board up as it swings back, this slows the swing of the beater.The cobra coil is there to lift the pedal board up so the beater doesn't have to. Simple physics...

The cobra coil can also be used to tune your slave pedal to feel more like your master since it effectively removes mass from the slave pedal driveline.

The rebound of the foot board does effect the beater... SMH. Without the cobra coil the beater has to lift the pedal board up as it swings back, this slows the swing of the beater.The cobra coil is there to lift the pedal board up so the beater doesn't have to. Simple physics...

The cobra coil can also be used to tune your slave pedal to feel more like your master since it effectively removes mass from the slave pedal driveline.

That might have worked well if the cobra was direct drive, but with a chain the coil can rebound the footboard ahead of the beater causing slack. This of course depends on the speed you're playing at and the amount of constant pressure you're applying to the pedal.

At 270 BPM I haven't found the pedal to be holding back rebound speed. If anything it adds stability to the motion. That's a fair point about the feel of the slave though. But then the coil is adding an equal amount of pressure to the downstroke that it relieves from the upstroke.

That might have worked well if the cobra was direct drive, but with a chain the coil can rebound the footboard ahead of the beater causing slack. This of course depends on the speed you're playing at and the amount of constant pressure you're applying to the pedal.

At 270 BPM I haven't found the pedal to be holding back rebound speed. If anything it adds stability to the motion. That's a fair point about the feel of the slave though. But then the coil is adding an equal amount of pressure to the downstroke that it relieves from the upstroke.

I haven't noticed much, if any chain slack from the coil but then again it depends on a lot of pedal settings and the player. I'm playing some songs at 260 BPM and if anything it's the slower speeds that I notice the Cobra coil causing slack.

As for the amount of force it takes to depress the spring on the down stroke... The amount of mass and energy in your leg when it comes down on the foot board is probably dozens of times stronger than the force of the spring. The spring is quite weak and only has enough force to hold up the foot board. If you press down the foot board you can feel how little force it's taking from your stroke.

Well, I just installed my Cobra Coil. To be honest I don’t really notice any major difference. Now I’m not a very accomplished drummer so maybe someone more talented than I may sense an improvement, but for the most part, it’s status quo. Like I said, for 20-bucks, I’m really not complaining.

Again, thanks all for your input. . . .

Back