Tama classic cymbal stand question

roncadillac

I searched drummerworld, watched several YouTube videos, and read several reviews and could not find the answer to this question regarding the Tama classic series flat base cymbal stand: the wing nuts that tighten/loosen to raise/lower the upper and middle sections... Do they have any sort of clamp, plastic insert, etc? Or does the threaded 'post' of the wingnut simply push against the middle tube and upper rod?

Last edited:

vyacheslav

Bongoman is 100% correct. However, I use these stands regularly and have never had a concern about slippage or "wear out". They are hefty 8mm wing screws, and the bigger the wing screw, the less likely it will fail or strip over time. Tama puts a rubber ring on the top section to eliminate vibration. I have never experienced the "metal rattle" that I have on my original Ludwig 1400 stands.

roncadillac

Thank you for the responses! I was considering using one of these for a standing drum set up with my 18" uptown ride. I'm not a basher and the situation I would be playing this set up in would call for more traditional time keeping and occasional accents. I was primarily concerned about having such a "small" stand set up so high but the videos I watched seem to show a ton of 22" rides set up in the Al Foster fashion without much issue. I also was looking at the Gibraltar 8710 flat base, it's an extra pound or so heavier then the Tama and not quite as pretty but it has some extra features and memory locks that seem to make it a bit more stable, considering it would be holding a ride cymbal roughly 48" off the ground.