tama aluminium vs gretsch aluminium

Hey guys hope all is well.
Searched the forum but no luck.
I am in the market for an aluminium snare.
Narrowed it down to 2 choices.
Gretsch aluminium 14x5 cast - the one mike johnston plays.
Tama starphonic aluminium 14x6.
Money is not an issue.but it's hard to decide.
None of The drums is available where i am located so i will be ordering online.
Just wanted to heqr your thoughts.
I play mellow pop-rock/brit-rock kinda stuff.
Thanks.

eclipseownzu

Gold Member
I am a Tama fanboy so when I tell you that I love my Gretsch snare, that should tell you something. I would never recommend buying a snare you can't play yourself. If you are looking for a nice metal snare you should also look at Ludwig and Pearl. The Sensitones and Supras are legendary. I am sure you can find one somewhere around you to try out.

I am a Tama fanboy so when I tell you that I love my Gretsch snare, that should tell you something. I would never recommend buying a snare you can't play yourself. If you are looking for a nice metal snare you should also look at Ludwig and Pearl. The Sensitones and Supras are legendary. I am sure you can find one somewhere around you to try out.

Have you got the exact gretsch snare i am talking about?
Whats the best way you can describe it?

KarlCrafton

Platinum Member
Haven't seen the Gretsch cast snare, but the Tama has the old style rolled over edge on it that is REALLY cool, and gets a different sound than what you'd usually expect. Very solid.
The Craviato Diamond, and the Ludwig Anniversary brass snare that came out a few years ago (both shells made by AK Shells) were done with this edge.

A cast shell is going to sound pretty solid and cool too... wish I had some experience with that Gresch.

I know the Tama is a cool snare, and I'd look up as many YouTube vids as you can with different people playing either to get a better idea to get you closer to a decision.

Good luck!

eclipseownzu

Gold Member
Have you got the exact gretsch snare i am talking about?
Whats the best way you can describe it?
No I do not have the exact snare you are talking about. All I can attest to is the fact that Gretsch make excellent snares.

Word of advice, dont start talking about Tama seamless snares. Peoples heads start to explode.

JasperGTR

Not sure if i follow))))
lol! Referencing a multipage arguement about whether the snares were seamless, or the seam was hidden, etc...

Tread lightly...

I like Tama's snares (also a Tama hardware fanboy, so this made my decision easier). I have 3 different types - HH bronze shell, Warlord Spartan (my favorite in both sound and looks), and the new black nickel. I've played and also REALLY like the sound of the new(er) SLP line. Just not as visually appealing to me.

lol! Referencing a multipage arguement about whether the snares were seamless, or the seam was hidden, etc...

Tread lightly...

I like Tama's snares (also a Tama hardware fanboy, so this made my decision easier). I have 3 different types - HH bronze shell, Warlord Spartan (my favorite in both sound and looks), and the new black nickel. I've played and also REALLY like the sound of the new(er) SLP line. Just not as visually appealing to me.
Got ya now!!!
The thing is i was going through some of my ex band demos a few days back and when i played one particular song it struck me how tight and good the snare sounded. And then i realised it was a cheap crap no name metal snare i had picked up for like 50$. I've got a hybrid maple/walnut taye snare a absolutely love but i still want a different sound sometimes. And really digging mike johnstons sound ibwas like aluminium is the way to go for me.
Still cant decide at this stage...

JasperGTR

Got ya now!!!
The thing is i was going through some of my ex band demos a few days back and when i played one particular song it struck me how tight and good the snare sounded. And then i realised it was a cheap crap no name metal snare i had picked up for like 50$. I've got a hybrid maple/walnut taye snare a absolutely love but i still want a different sound sometimes. And really digging mike johnstons sound ibwas like aluminium is the way to go for me.
Still cant decide at this stage...
Hmmmm... Different mic's, mixing, and heads can make a bigger difference on recorded media, in my opinion.