TAMA 1st Chair Round Rider Owners: Does it spin?

organworthyplayer337

Haven't been playing long, but I'm interested in upgrading my drum throne. I've tried the Roc-n-Soc and don't like how it spins freely. I'm looking at the Tama 1st Chair Round Rider and want to know if it spins like the roc-n-soc? If anyone owns this throne, I would really appreciate if you could chime in :D

Thanks!

Isn't there a clamp on the spindle base of a Roc n Soc to keep it from spinning?

Not sure if you’re interested in a spindle or hydraulic type throne, but the Roc-n-Soc Manual (spindle) series do -not- spin. They have a locking collar (as @PorkPieGuy correctly noted) to prevent spinning.

However, the Roc-n-Soc Nitro and Lunar (gas shock) series do free spin. Roc-n-Soc considers it a design feature to minimize spinal strain/body twisting when reaching for the far sides of your kit.

Fixed versus spinning is certainly a personal preference.

Tama First chair has a plastic insert in the adjustable collar that can be removed to make the seat either loose to spin, or locked down tight.
*edit — mine is an older version of the seat clamp that has the removable insert. It looks like the newer version does not have it.

Last edited:
Are you referring to the Tama 1st Chair spindle or Hyraulix models?

Their spindle models do have a nylon locking collar similar to Roc-n-Soc’s metal collar, but I wasn’t sure about the Hydraulix ones. The ones I’ve seen looked similar to the RnS gas shock models without collars, but I don’t recall if they spun.

Having a removable nylon insert (to spin or lock) in the gas shock models would be a nice option.

Tama First chair has a plastic insert in the adjustable collar that can be removed to make the seat either loose to spin, or locked down tight.
*edit — mine is an older version of the seat clamp that has the removable insert. It looks like the newer version does not have it.
I have a 1st gen 1st chair and it has the insert you mentioned. I guess they got rid of it for some reason. I like it because it allows the top to move, but you have to "force" it to move and it doesn't to it unintentionally.

The spindle model does not spin, but the hydraulix model does. But, it doesn't make you feel like you're unstable. There is still some friction there and you have to decide to shift your body to get it to spin.

The spindle model does not spin, but the hydraulix model does. But, it doesn't make you feel like you're unstable. There is still some friction there and you have to decide to shift your body to get it to spin.
Thank you for clarifying this. It should help the OP and anyone else considering the Roc-n-Soc or Tama models. Regardless of brand, it sounds like the spindle models and the gas shock models from each behave similar:

Spindle:
— Roc-n-Soc seat does not spin with wing bolt tightened on metal locking collar. With wing bolt loose, seat can spin with some resistance.
— Tama does not spin with plastic locking collar tightened. Older models may have an insert that can be removed to allow seat to spin.

Gas Shock:
— Both RnS and Tama seats can spin freely though Tama may have more resistance.

yeah, I have the hydraulic version of the Roc-N-Soc, so there's no way to stop it from spinning. I'm getting the spindle, non-hydraulic model of the 1st chair today.
Thank you for clarifying this as well. I have both of the RnS models and just wanted to make sure you knew the spindle model could be locked to not spin.

I’ve only demoed both Tama 1st Chair styles, and couldn’t remember if the Hydraulix models could be locked... which it sounds like they cannot. Nonetheless, they are very comfortable seats and think you’ll be happy with the spindle version.

Ok, so I just set up the Tama 1st chair and it does move. It doesn't spin as freely as the hydraulic Roc-N-Soc, but it still moves. Are they supposed to be super solid?

Hi OWP, not sure which 1st Chair spindle model you purchased (there are 9 sub-models across 4 base frames), but believe all of them have 3 main adjustment points similar to the top-end model:

1. Ensure the “seat lock” wing bolt directly under the seat is tightened.

2. Ensure the “height lock” collar (B in the Figures) is screwed all the way down to the nylon bushing at the top of the tripod base.

3. Ensure the “spindle lock” wing bolt (A in the Figures) below that is tightened.

Hi OWP, not sure which 1st Chair spindle model you purchased (there are 9 sub-models across 4 base frames), but believe all of them have 3 main adjustment points similar to the top-end model:

1. Ensure the “seat lock” wing bolt directly under the seat is tightened.

2. Ensure the “height lock” collar (B in the Figures) is screwed all the way down to the nylon bushing at the top of the tripod base.

3. Ensure the “spindle lock” wing bolt (A in the Figures) below that is tightened.
Hi, I got all those tightened. The only part that moves seems to be the seat lock, not anything with the height lock or the spindle lock. I hope its not stripped. It's not spinning freely, just enough to creak and rotate under my body weight (and I'm not a super heavy person). Thanks

Thank you for the additional details. It almost sounds defective. That seat yoke has a 2-piece hinged locking collar and nylon bushing that should clamp sufficiently tight to the spindle to prevent creaking and rotating.

Can you bring it back to the shop where you purchased to compare it to another one?

Thank you for the additional details. It almost sounds defective. That seat yoke has a 2-piece hinged locking collar and nylon bushing that should clamp sufficiently tight to the spindle to prevent creaking and rotating.

Can you bring it back to the shop where you purchased to compare it to another one?
I purchased it online, it would be a hassle to return it but I definitely want a throne that’ll last a while and one that isn’t broken already. I’ll contact the store and see what my next steps are. Do you have any other suggestions for simple, sturdy, round thrones? Thanks for your assistance in all of this :)

In the seat base, try tightening the other bolt as tight as you can with your fingers, then tighten the wing bolt to lock it down. That's what I do on my 1st chair, and it only moves if I make it move. Mine is the 1st generation 1st chair, and it's 20+ years old and still going strong.
Hey

I tightened both bolts as tight as I could and it still moved pretty easily (not spinning but definitely twisting). Nothing else moved but the seat/seat lock. It creaked a lot and kinda rocked from side to side just a little.

It was an open box item listed as basically new. Maybe that's why it was returned the first time. I ended up returning it, and am waiting for a refund. Contemplating if I want to re-purchase another 1st chair, or look at some other options. I don't need the refund to make another purchase so if anyone has any other recommendations, I'm all ears.

It was an open box item listed as basically new. Maybe that's why it was returned the first time.
I agree with you, and believe this confirms my and SD’s suspicion about it being defective.

I ended up returning it, and am waiting for a refund. Contemplating if I want to re-purchase another 1st chair, or look at some other options. I don't need the refund to make another purchase so if anyone has any other recommendations, I'm all ears.
A lot of people have great experiences with the Tama 1st Chair models so my first suggestion would be to reorder it. And given your negative experience with the first unit, asking your dealer to provide the replacement at the same price as the open box would be reasonable.

If you are doubting the decision or have the same problem with a second unit, some suggestions for alternatives around the same price range would include:

— Roc-n-Soc manual spindle round seat

— Yamaha DS840

— Gibraltar 9608

— DW 5100 *

* The first DW 5100 I owned had a very “cushy” seat, but a newer one I got years later had a little stiffer seat and wasn’t as comfortable so please consider testing this one in person. Both were very well built and stable, I may have just got a one-off the second time.

Back