Talking while playing

Larry

"Uncle Larry"
I have a hard time doing that. I used to sing here count there and that's no problem.

Talking to a different rhythm than the music is hard for me.

I've been holding onto that forever and it's high time I admitted it.

So thanks for listening

I have a hard time doing that. I used to sing here count there and that's no problem.

Talking to a different rhythm than the music is hard for me.

I've been holding onto that forever and it's high time I admitted it.

So thanks for listening
I'm right there with you, Larry. The two activities seem to use different parts of the brain or something.

Singing (albeit badly) I can do. Talking? Nope

I can listen to a simple instruction or reminder that a change is coming up, and I'll acknowledge with a nod or 'ok', but nothing beyond that if possible.

I use my practice pad on the couch. My wife talks to me while I'm using it. If it's just singles or doubles, talking isnt too bad. Any type of pattern really ups the difficulty level of talking. Sometimes listening (to someone else talking about nonmusical stuff) can be difficult also.

Try to play while laughing, like funniest thing you ever heard laughing. It's extremely difficult.

While teaching I have to talk and play pretty much constantly

During gigs though it's mostly nods , eyebrow raises and mouth openings with the occasional "ay!" to get someones attention.

I just tried an experiment: I tapped a beat on a table in 4/4 while reciting words in 6/8. It was strange initially, but my mind (and body) quickly adjusted to the incongruous timing. Soon, it felt as natural as playing the beat without speaking at all. I have no reason, of course, to drum in one time signature while talking in another, but I guess I can do it without incident.

I'd rather not speak at all while drumming. I dislike most forms of multitasking. Immersion is a lot more satisfying.

Last edited:
Just let the music do the talking (so to speak). Isn't that what a musical is? Song-Speak?

Seriously, though, mostly nods and eye contact. For some reason it was easier with the bass player than the vocalist or guitarist.

I play traditional Irish music sessions; have done for years. Some of the older guys are having full on conversations and telling jokes while they're playing. Their muscle memory is so well developed for a tune that they could dictate a shopping list while they play.

I'm not talking about talking while playing, I'm still kind of stuck on why this is so hard. I don't normally talk after the song starts

I'm not talking about talking while playing,
Please clarify. The title of the thread is "Talking while playing," and you write "Talking to a different rhythm than the music is hard for me." If we aren't talking about talking while drumming, what, pray tell, are we talking about?

Are you personifying music as the only entity with which you want to converse in a drumming context, even between songs? Do you mean that you find it challenging to talk at gigs period -- before, during, and after songs -- perhaps because you're caught up in a musical frame of mind and aren't feeling very communicative with your fellow man?

I'm just trying to understand the premise of the problem.

Is this message some kind of subliminal command for us to dig out our copies of The New Breed Vol.1 and sing along (employ our mouths) with the exercises that we've cheesed over many moons ago?

Please clarify. The title of the thread is "Talking while playing," and you write "Talking to a different rhythm than the music is hard for me." If we aren't talking about talking while drumming, what, pray tell, are we talking about?

Are you personifying music as the only entity with which you want to converse in a drumming context, even between songs? Do you mean that you find it challenging to talk at gigs period -- before, during, and after songs -- perhaps because you're caught up in a musical frame of mind and aren't feeling very communicative with your fellow man?

I'm just trying to understand the premise of the problem.

I'm talking about...talking while playing, at practice, just because it's a 5th coordination. To put a finer point on it, for instance, I can talk with no restrictions while playing the money beat but the half time shuffle? Yea, no lol. Talking "normally" throws me off.

The ooohs and ahhs Bernard does I can manage. They are in time. But playing a more complex beat, and talking in my normal cadence...is much harder for me. Talking in rhythm to the song is generally not a problem. Talking out of rhythm (...Oh man...Crap! Really? I can't find my keys. I have no clue at all where they are! Ahh I hate this! I'm late!) while playing complexer is what I'm referring to.

I'm talking about...talking while playing, at practice, just because it's a 5th coordination. To put a finer point on it, for instance, I can talk with no restrictions while playing the money beat but the half time shuffle? Yea, no lol. Talking "normally" throws me off.

The ooohs and ahhs Bernard does I can manage. They are in time. But playing a more complex beat, and talking in my normal cadence...is much harder for me. Talking in rhythm to the song is generally not a problem. Talking out of rhythm (...Oh man...Crap! Really? I can't find my keys. I have no clue at all where they are! Ahh I hate this! I'm late!) while playing complexer is what I'm referring to.
Got it. That's what I thought you meant from the outset. I wouldn't lose sleep over this hurdle. Drums are usually too assertive to talk over anyway, and most talk is cheap regardless. Words can wait until the beat is over. Mind your sticks and pedals, and you'll be just fine.

Sing Different Drum while playing a Shuffle I dare you

Got it. That's what I thought you meant from the outset. I wouldn't lose sleep over this hurdle. Drums are usually too assertive to talk over anyway, and most talk is cheap regardless. Words can wait until the beat is over. Mind your sticks and pedals, and you'll be just fine.
It's not the need to talk, it's the fact that the 5th coordination aspect...I have a hard time with it. I don't like having a hard time with anything so therefore I must conquer it. I feel like a tool when I try and talk while playing
Sing Different Drum while playing a Shuffle I dare you
I can't, I'm no daredevil. I'm not even sure what song you're referring to.

Back