Talking while playing

someguy01

Gold Member
So we won't be seeing Larry dropping dope rhymes over a sick beat then eh?
I rhyme while I play, like, a lot, because "everybody's spittin' it, the rhyme is hot..."
points to anyone who can not only finish the chorus, but name that tune.

larryace

"Uncle Larry" - Administrator
Staff member
So we won't be seeing Larry dropping dope rhymes over a sick beat then eh?
I rhyme while I play, like, a lot, because "everybody's spittin' it, the rhyme is hot..."
points to anyone who can not only finish the chorus, but name that tune.
I can sing and play in time, it's when I talk in a different rhythm/meter that clashes rhythmically with what I'm playing. That's where the wheels come off and head south

Singing and talking...I can do one OK but not the other...Check this beat/rhyme out!

Oot/Pop!/Oot Oot/Pop!/Oot/Pop!/Oot Oot/Pop!/Oot/Pop!/Oot Oot/Pop!/Oot/Pop!/Oot Oot/Pop!

Call Mr. Drum, hey that's the name,

That name again is Mr. Drum! Oot/Pop!/Oot Oot/Pop!/Oot/Pop!/Oot Oot/Pop!/Oot/Pop!/Oot Oot/Pop!/Oot/Pop!/Oot Oot/Pop!

(Stolen from the Simpsons...The Mr. Plow episode)

someguy01

Gold Member
I can sing and play in time, it's when I talk in a different rhythm/meter that clashes rhythmically with what I'm playing. That's where the wheels come off

Singing and talking...I can do one OK but not the other...Check this beat/rhyme out!

Oot/Pop!/Oot Oot/Pop!/Oot/Pop!/Oot Oot/Pop!/Oot/Pop!/Oot Oot/Pop!/Oot/Pop!/Oot Oot/Pop!

Call Mr. Drummer, that's the name,

That name again is Mr. Drummer!

(Stolen from the Simpsons...The Mr. Plow episode)
Max Power.

Yamaha Rider

Gold Member
Hmm. It must be a Pennsylvania problem. I can drum, run, walk, skip, screw, cycle, climb, shoot, prep, clean, and smile while I talk. I just can’t talk in my sleep.

It’s simple math, really. Take the four variables (LH, RH, LF, RF), quantize them (Q) over the span of time (T) and save the result in its own space as defined by (HxWxL), set the duration (D) and let the mind go free.

View attachment 109237
Turn her upside down and she's just ridden her skateboard on ice and had a frightful spill.

Yamaha Rider

Gold Member
I find it uncomfortable to walk while listening to any danceable music. The rhythms clash.
And raising a hand to acknowledge a passing driver while drumming on the steering wheel always goes pear-shaped.
Thanks for giving me a window to raise these crucially important issues.
Alternatively, you could decline to invest yourself in the attainment of nonessential skills. Since you don't "need" to talk while drumming, adjusting your outlook on the import of that capacity might prove productive. You can't stand while sitting either. The laws of physics prohibit the coexistence of those conditions. If that limitation doesn't trouble you, perhaps the obstacles you encounter when attempting to drum in one rhythm while speaking in another shouldn't either. Some shortcomings are really just self-appointed fixations. Because we hire them, we can also fire them.

SmoothOperator

Gold Member
What about walking and chewing gum at the same time? Sorry, couldn't resist.

Reminds me of a psychiatrist talk I saw one time, that said basically the ability to talk was due to a duplication of the motor cortex. There are obviously some overlaps IMO. Its just a hypothesis, but it seems clear there is some overlap.

I think its kind of interesting because if you think about people these days do a whole lot of communication with their fingers....

Steve30907

There's a video of Nathan East playing Sir Duke on bass at NAMM while conversing with Stevie Wonder, I can talk and just kinda groove but I can't just fully leave my playing on autopilot to carry on a conversation through a song.

cbphoto

Platinum Member
Gotta picture of Phill Rudd's studio inspirational poster? That's one I'd like to see.
Like this?

drummer-phil-rudd-gestures-to-members-of-the-media-after-leaving-picture-id459577946

but I prefer this kind of poster:

phil-rudd-of-acdc-performs-on-stage-reading-festival-reading-united-picture-id552975925

Last edited:

Steve30907

I was thinking of the one Brian Johnson mentioned in an interview of the nude large chested woman taped to Rudd's drums. Johnson said what's that poster taped to your drums Rudd responded inspiration.

SomeBadDrummer

Gold Member
I just tried an experiment: I tapped a beat on a table in 4/4 while reciting words in 6/8. It was strange initially, but my mind (and body) quickly adjusted to the incongruous timing. Soon, it felt as natural as playing the beat without speaking at all. I have no reason, of course, to drum in one time signature while talking in another, but I guess I can do it without incident.

I'd rather not speak at all while drumming. I dislike most forms of multitasking. Immersion is a lot more satisfying.
Okay, so obviously the words you recited in 6/8 have some magical powers. Why must you torment the minions and not simply reveal the all powerful incantation? Or were you speaking in tongues to achieve incongruous timing? 🤣

C.M. Jones

Diamond Member
Okay, so obviously the words you recited in 6/8 have some magical powers. Why must you torment the minions and not simply reveal the all powerful incantation? Or were you speaking in tongues to achieve incongruous timing? 🤣
Ha! I don't dabble in the occult. I intoned no sinister spells or ominous oaths. I just tapped out a 4/4 beat while making random statements in 6/8. It was a curiously creative moment. My wife thought I was having a stroke. When I explained the experiment, she asked, "When will you ever have use for that combination?" When I told her it was forum related, she understood without further inquiry. She's well-versed in the frequent frivolity of our discussions here. 😄

SomeBadDrummer

Gold Member
Ha! I don't dabble in the occult. I intoned no sinister spells or ominous oaths. I just tapped out a 4/4 beat while making random statements in 6/8. It was a curiously creative moment. My wife thought I was having a stroke.
Well I didn’t mean anything sinister necessarily 👻. I can’t think up random statements in 4/4 without thinking about it, much less 6/8. I’d have to have a 6/8 song in mind, and attempting to demonstrate two different simultaneous time signatures in physical form might cause the aforementioned nonexistent stroke.🤔😅

Seriously back to the original question…I only talk while playing ‘in between’ fills or anything more complex than simply keeping the beat. To yell at the bass player to turn it down or his cape is on fire or some other important message that simply cannot wait for the end of the tune.
But like anything new and different, I imagine that with enough time and practice this could be achieved with some level of proficiency.

SomeBadDrummer

Gold Member
I was thinking of the one Brian Johnson mentioned in an interview of the nude large chested woman taped to Rudd's drums. Johnson said what's that poster taped to your drums Rudd responded inspiration.
Rosie ;)