Talking while playing

cbphoto

Gold Member
Hmm. It must be a Pennsylvania problem. I can drum, run, walk, skip, screw, cycle, climb, shoot, prep, clean, and smile while I talk. I just can’t talk in my sleep.

It’s simple math, really. Take the four variables (LH, RH, LF, RF), quantize them (Q) over the span of time (T) and save the result in its own space as defined by (HxWxL), set the duration (D) and let the mind go free.

6B711498-FB75-4EED-B6A6-B81F425D30C7.jpeg

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I don't have this problem in NJ, only PA. So I guess it is a Pennsylvania problem! Thanks Chris!

Actually it's me, I'm the problem...it's a coordination thing that I can't seem to get together at present.

Related sort of...if I'm playing 3 different things with my limbs, and if I add a 4th thing...but the fourth thing is the exact same pattern as one of my other limbs....is that considered 4 way coordination?

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Related sort of...if I'm playing 3 different things with my limbs, and if I add a 4th thing...but the fourth thing is the exact same pattern as one of my other limbs....is that considered 4 way coordination?
Absolutely. You are still using 4 limbs. Just because 2 are doing the same thing doesnt make any of it easier. Example: ask any non drummer to do singles with their feet and unisons with their hands at the same speed as the two feet. They wont be able to because they dont have any 4 way coordination developed.

C.M. Jones

Drum Authority
It's not the need to talk, it's the fact that the 5th coordination aspect...I have a hard time with it. I don't like having a hard time with anything so therefore I must conquer it. I feel like a tool when I try and talk while playing
Alternatively, you could decline to invest yourself in the attainment of nonessential skills. Since you don't "need" to talk while drumming, adjusting your outlook on the import of that capacity might prove productive. You can't stand while sitting either. The laws of physics prohibit the coexistence of those conditions. If that limitation doesn't trouble you, perhaps the obstacles you encounter when attempting to drum in one rhythm while speaking in another shouldn't either. Some shortcomings are really just self-appointed fixations. Because we hire them, we can also fire them.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Just because 2 are doing the same thing doesnt make any of it easier.
I disagree. 4 different things are harder for me than 3 different thing spread out over 4 limbs.
Alternatively, you could decline to invest yourself in the attainment of nonessential skills. Since you don't "need" to talk while drumming, adjusting your outlook on the import of that capacity might prove productive. You can't stand while sitting either. The laws of physics prohibit the coexistence of those conditions. If that limitation doesn't trouble you, perhaps the obstacles you encounter when attempting to drum in one rhythm while speaking in another shouldn't either. Some shortcomings are really just self-appointed fixations. Because we hire them, we can also fire them.
I feel they are essential skills. It's like a rub your belly tap your head thing. I HAVE to conquer things like that. My inspiration was Bernard Purdie talking normally over his half time shuffle. He makes it look so easy. I tried it and I felt spastic. It's kind of like if you want clean doubles, practice clean triplets. Like warming up with weighted sticks or running in sand. Like practicing at 20 BPM. The harder I make it on myself, the more I benefit.

I want to be able to talk normally over a half time shuffle, not spaz out. I'll get it.

spleeeeen

Platinum Member
I feel they are essential skills. It's like a rub your belly tap your head thing. I HAVE to conquer things like that. My inspiration was Bernard Purdie talking normally over his half time shuffle. He makes it look so easy. I tried it and I felt spastic. It's kind of like if you want clean doubles, practice clean triplets. Like warming up with weighted sticks or running in sand. Like practicing at 20 BPM. The harder I make it on myself, the more I benefit.

I want to be able to talk normally over a half time shuffle, not spaz out. I'll get it.
These seem like the kinds of practices that allow for more "headroom" when you’re on the gig. Is that how you think about it Larry? Or do yo a different metaphor or conceptualization?

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
These seem like the kinds of practices that allow for more "headroom" when you’re on the gig. Is that how you think about it Larry? Or do yo a different metaphor or conceptualization?
That's it right there. Headroom. More ability than I normally use.

It's easier for me to relax when I'm not playing at the upper limit of my abilities

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Sounds like you need to shred it like Dave King:

Right? I have to just do it and sound spastic until I don't sound spastic anymore.

It's easy to talk with just 1 or 2 things going on but 3 and 4 way gets harder Dotted notes, ghost notes and talking...my CPU gets overloaded.

I have a 1958 model CPU. They are much faster now.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
I disagree. 4 different things are harder for me than 3 different thing spread out over 4 limbs.
Well at some point I bet you couldn't do perfect unisons with all 4 limbs simultaneously. What I'm getting at is each limb is doing a specific operation, regardless if some of them are the same. When they are all firing correctly, that is 4 way coordination because you are coordinating all 4 limbs to work together.

I would consider running and catching a pass 4 way coordination also.

Jasta 11

Regular Poster
Hmm. It must be a Pennsylvania problem. I can drum, run, walk, skip, screw, cycle, climb, shoot, prep, clean, and smile while I talk. I just can’t talk in my sleep.

It’s simple math, really. Take the four variables (LH, RH, LF, RF), quantize them (Q) over the span of time (T) and save the result in its own space as defined by (HxWxL), set the duration (D) and let the mind go free.

View attachment 109237
boy, she has some big feet!
I have trouble saying the entire title of the next song if i think of a suggestion while playing. i have to break up the words. they never match the flow of what im playing and it screws my words up. a few words here and there are ok but thats it for me.

Quai34

Ok, I do that, I can talk while playing, ok, normal beat, nothing crazy...maybe it's because I play keys first and you play while you read and while you listen to others when we practice and tell them when they did a mistake or ...I don't know...or maybe because I'm so talkative that I can talk even without realizing I'm doing so😄!!

lefty2

Platinum Member
I have a hard time doing that. I used to sing here count there and that's no problem.

Talking to a different rhythm than the music is hard for me.

I've been holding onto that forever and it's high time I admitted it.

So thanks for listening
Same here. I find it very hard to talk while playing.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Platinum Member
I use my practice pad on the couch. My wife talks to me while I'm using it. If it's just singles or doubles, talking isnt too bad. Any type of pattern really ups the difficulty level of talking. Sometimes listening (to someone else talking about nonmusical stuff) can be difficult also.

Try to play while laughing, like funniest thing you ever heard laughing. It's extremely difficult.

Same here...and I can talk while playing, but if I am working on something technical, I know that the issue is not talking and playing, but trying to split focus on what I am doign and what she is saying...this gets me in trouble sometimes, as my instinct is to be paying sole attention to the drumming pattern, and not to what she is saying

While teaching I have to talk and play pretty much constantly

During gigs though it's mostly nods , eyebrow raises and mouth openings with the occasional "ay!" to get someones attention.

I am this way too....this, plus growing up being a lead/backing vocalist in bands and drumming pretty much helps me have no problem separating the different activities.

in fact, in my original band, I tend to write the drum set part around what the lyrics/vocalist is doing in many cases. Like, not only the cadence of the vocals, but the lyrical intent gets certain treatments in regards to usage of space, texture, timbre, inflection...

A J

Nope. Can't do it. Aside from nods, winks and grunts, I can't talk and play.