Talk to me about lightweight hardware and bags

greenstar323

Last night I hauled my gear out of the attic (finished attic where my kit is set up) and this morning my back is killing me. I know it's due to the hardware bag. I only had one heavy double braced boom stand, two snare stands, two cymbal attachments, and a throne and the thing was insanely heavy. It didn't include my hi hat stand because it's easier to not take it apart and honestly I can't figure out how to fold up the pedal. On top of that my "hardware" bag is a short ski bag so not exactly meant for holding drum stuff.

My issue isn't that I need a cart or rolling bag. It's literally picking up the bag to get in and out of the car and to and from my house. It's just way too heavy for me. Thinking about the new pearl flat based hardware or yamaha 600 series. Probably would go with hi hat stand, two cymbal stands, and one snare stand. Thoughts? Recommendations for a bag to go with it? I don't mind if I have to fold up all my hardware. Think this will serve as my gigging harware so I can keep it packed up.

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
Lightweight is subjective, and also should not be confused with compact. Ideally, you want both, as long as the hardware holds up to your needs.

In town, where I handle my own gear, I use old Ludwig 1400 stands for cymbals & snare. They have been the most compact stands available, until Tama introduced a knock-off at NAMM (should be available soon.) And it's fairly light, although not the lightest.

For hardware, I use an OnStage mic stand bag, available from Sam Ash (it's about $32) and the hi-hat and cymbal stands stay assembled, which saves time on both ends of the gig. My stick bag also goes in there. Cymbals go in their own bag, and the seat and pedal are in a bag. Compare those three pieces to the old trap case that held all of the above, and weighed a ton!

All drums are in bags, which take up less space than cases, and are lighter.

I also have the R8 Rock & Roller cart, kind of a mid-duty cart, and it's been great. A 4pc kit - and a drum rug - moves in one trip.

My back thanks me every time I play!

Bermuda

greenstar323

Thanks Bermuda I will check out the mic stand bag idea.

I have a cart and usually bring my breakbeats kit to church gigs or smaller venues which is super compact to begin with so my real problem is the hardware and bag. Hauling it in and out, up and down stairs is really what kills me. Perhaps just getting a 2nd set of hardware is the way to go.

I think I saw the Tama stands you are talking about and was also considering those, but they weren't available yet (although not sure if the pearl flat stands are either!) I'm a big fan of both Tama and Pearl hardware, but maybe Tama is the better way to go since I haven't heard great things about flat based stands.

Perhaps just breaking it down into two bags would be better.

Trip McNealy

Gold Member
I used to be a die-hard Yamaha single-braced 700-series user and I love the stuff but it's kind of heavy after a while and awkward like you mention. I relegated all that stuff to my home studio and use all flat-based HW from Gibraltar and DW (sans the HH stand and throne which are double-braced) and it's saved me a ton of carrying effort.

All the drum HW/makers out there are jumping on flat based stuff and it's sturdy.. can't go wrong with anyone's really.

Get a nice bag and cart like Bermuda (I have similar) and you're golden.

STXBob

Gold Member
I have one of these in which I keep my gig hardware. Got two of them on sale at Target last year. It holds 3 boom stands, hi-hat, throne (including seat) - all double-braced - and my kick pedal in its case, and my stick bag, with a little bit of room to spare. Yeah, it's heavy, but it has wheels on one end, so I only have to lift it in and out of the car.

I've seen fellows use those airline cases for golf bags, too. Those usually have wheels.

BradGunnerSGT

Silver Member
I use 4 Gibraltar flat-based straight stands for my crashes and my ride, a Yamaha 750 hi-hat stand, and a 700 series snare stand.

I use a medium Ahead Armor sled. I can fit all my stands, throne, a small fan, stick bag, and folded carpet in there. Even with the lightweight stands it is a bit heavy, but the sled feature allows me to slide it out of the car, rotate it so the wheels are on the ground, and then extend the handle and pull it behind me. Getting it back in is a reverse of this process, so I don't have to lift the entire weight at one go, just lean it against the back of the car and lift the bottom to slide it in. The sled feature is also nice for going up or down stairs.

It fits across the trunk of a small car (I have fit it into both a Mazda 3 and a Prius). I have a minivan now so room really isn't an issue any more. I might get a second one and split everything into two bags so each one isn't so heavy, although it adds another trip to/from the car.

Trip McNealy

Gold Member
I use 4 Gibraltar flat-based straight stands for my crashes and my ride, a Yamaha 750 hi-hat stand, and a 700 series snare stand.

I use a medium Ahead Armor sled. I can fit all my stands, throne, a small fan, stick bag, and folded carpet in there. Even with the lightweight stands it is a bit heavy, but the sled feature allows me to slide it out of the car, rotate it so the wheels are on the ground, and then extend the handle and pull it behind me. Getting it back in is a reverse of this process, so I don't have to lift the entire weight at one go, just lean it against the back of the car and lift the bottom to slide it in. The sled feature is also nice for going up or down stairs.

It fits across the trunk of a small car (I have fit it into both a Mazda 3 and a Prius). I have a minivan now so room really isn't an issue any more. I might get a second one and split everything into two bags so each one isn't so heavy, although it adds another trip to/from the car.
I have the same AHEAD sled - great bag and fits a lot! I also rock the 700 series snare stand - it's held up for YEARS and still looks in excellent shape. and not that heavy.

greenstar323

Brad - I just googled it and I'm kinda loving this idea. I like that it has a spot for my throne. And I like you're idea of leaning it on the car.... I'm adding this to my wishlist right now.... most likely along with a few DW ultra light stands. I really don't need that many... hi hat, snare (possibly 2 if I bring my samplepad), 1-2 cymbal stands although I usually can get away with 1 and adding an attachment, plus bass pedal and throne.....

Can you fit you're hi hat stand in the medium one without taking it completely apart?

My back is feeling better already lol

BradGunnerSGT

Silver Member
No, unfortunately it isn't long enough to put the hi-hat stand into the bag without collapsing it or taking out the top section. I unscrew the rod and take the top section out of the hi-hat stand and put those into a "corner" of the bag, then put the rest of the hi-hat on top of it to protect the top section. With a memory lock on the top section, it's easy to reassemble.

I can leave a couple of the cymbal stands extended, but the other two I have to collapse. It isn't a big deal since I can estimate the height that I like fairly closely. All in all, I can set up in about 10 minutes if I get to the gig first and don't have to climb over other people while they are setting up.

beyondbetrayal

Platinum Member
Last night I hauled my gear out of the attic (finished attic where my kit is set up) and this morning my back is killing me. I know it's due to the hardware bag. I only had one heavy double braced boom stand, two snare stands, two cymbal attachments, and a throne and the thing was insanely heavy. It didn't include my hi hat stand because it's easier to not take it apart and honestly I can't figure out how to fold up the pedal. On top of that my "hardware" bag is a short ski bag so not exactly meant for holding drum stuff.

My issue isn't that I need a cart or rolling bag. It's literally picking up the bag to get in and out of the car and to and from my house. It's just way too heavy for me. Thinking about the new pearl flat based hardware or Yamaha 600 series. Probably would go with hi hat stand, two cymbal stands, and one snare stand. Thoughts? Recommendations for a bag to go with it? I don't mind if I have to fold up all my hardware. Think this will serve as my gigging harware so I can keep it packed up.
I'm 33 and quite strong with a good back and my rolling bag is one of my favourite pieces of gear for gigs. hahaha

Trick is not the weight of the bag, just don't over load it.. I have played some small venues in tiny basement bars and have to take a ton of stairs. Drum gear isn't light. If you load a bag with enough "lightweight" equipment it becomes heavy.

you should weigh the throne, double brace, snare stands etc. I bet it's heavier than you thing. now add stairs, and awkward handles to the equation.

A smaller bag and folding up your hardware might make it less awkward which may be your problem.

I have a set-up similar to bermuda in which all drums are in their own bags (not cases), all cymbals in a bag (this guy is HEAVY) pedals in their own case, hi hat stand stays assembled, stick bag, backpack/case for trigger module and equipment only I disassemble my cymbal stands as they all go in a roller bag.

All double braced, throne, 2 crash stands, ride stand, china stand, snare stand, is insanely heavy when it can't be rolled.

geezer

I got the lightweight hardware package that Steve Maxwell's sells - comes in a Humes and & Berg Tuxedo bag and I sling it over my shoulder. Been using it regularly for nearly two years and it's all held up. You can customize what goes into the package - I opted against the pedal that came with it since my good old Yamaha pedal breaks down easily and fit into the bag without problem. In the photo I have a straight stand, pedal, snare stand, and hi-hat stand in there. I also usually fit my floor tom legs in there too. They have an option of a lightweight throne for it too. I got Canopus hardware but you can also go for Gibraltar lightweight hardware with it if that's your preference.

Attachments

greenstar323

I got the lightweight hardware package that Steve Maxwell's sells - comes in a Humes and & Berg Tuxedo bag and I sling it over my shoulder. Been using it regularly for nearly two years and it's all held up. You can customize what goes into the package - I opted against the pedal that came with it since my good old Yamaha pedal breaks down easily and fit into the bag without problem. In the photo I have a straight stand, pedal, snare stand, and hi-hat stand in there. I also usually fit my floor tom legs in there too. They have an option of a lightweight throne for it too. I got Canopus hardware but you can also go for Gibraltar lightweight hardware with it if that's your preference.
Forgive my ignorance... I've seen that on Maxwell's website but what the heck is Canopus?? I didn't know if it was cheap crap or something I've never heard of before. I remember thinking the price tag was kind of steep for a brand I didn't recognize. Again... no offense meant I just really don't see Canopus stands around so I'm kind of curious about it.

How much does that weigh? I think the site said 27 lbs? I'm trying to picture if that's heavy without wheels lol

@beyondbetrayal - yea I am only 29, but last year I did a number on my back and ever since then if I lift heavy things (yes even bending at the knees or whatever) I feel it for the next few days. Also I'm a chick so I can't lift heavy things to begin with. Hence my issue with actually getting things in/out of the car. A cart is no problem for taking things in and out of venues, but you're absolutely right that when stairs are involved it's a whole other story.

beyondbetrayal

Platinum Member
Could always get a few smaller gig bags and take a few more trips.

:)

A few extra minutes is worth saving an injury.

handle placement is something to look at too. It's not so much the weight as it is some bags are just awkward to carry.

geezer

Forgive my ignorance... I've seen that on Maxwell's website but what the heck is Canopus?? I didn't know if it was cheap crap or something I've never heard of before. I remember thinking the price tag was kind of steep for a brand I didn't recognize. Again... no offense meant I just really don't see Canopus stands around so I'm kind of curious about it.

How much does that weigh? I think the site said 27 lbs? I'm trying to picture if that's heavy without wheels lol
Canopus are a Japanese company - they make drums and also do hardware. It's very lightweight but I wouldn't call it "cheap crap" as I've had cheap crap heavy duty hardware back in the day that failed within months, vs. this stuff that two years in with heavy use is still going strong. As regards the weight of it in the bag I find it super manageable whether carrying it by the handle of the bag or slinging it over my shoulder.

singing drums

...as stated in an earlier post, canopus is a boutique drum company from japan that makes - imo - innovative, top-notch drums/hardware/accessories (steve maxwell in NY is known for only selecting the highest quality products for his shop)...

...i believe canopus pioneered the "return" to the light weight hardware of the 60s with its light weight line in the early 2000s (with a focus on the jazz market)...

...i have some of canopus' light weight hardware (cymbal stands), and it is everything it is billed at...i also have some new dw ultra light hardware (snare/hi hat stands), which is also excellent (especially in terms of innovative features), but, in truth, is a slight notch below canopus in terms of alignment and quality of its locking mechanisms...

vxla

Silver Member
I like the DW 6000 series, although the snare stand sits a bit high and I only use my 5x13 snare with it.

Does anyone know of a modern, light-weight throne that is sturdy?

greenstar323

I've been looking into the Gibralter 5608 throne. I read other posts about people retrofitting their pork pie and rock and soc seats with it... which probably offsets the light factor.

BradGunnerSGT

Silver Member
I use the 5608 throne with the red Gibraltar Roc-n-Soc tractor style seat and it is much lighter than the 9000 series base that I hauled around for the longest time. It feels just as sturdy to me as using the heavier base. That base weighed as much as the rest of my hardware combined!

Bonzo_CR

Silver Member
Could always get a few smaller gig bags and take a few more trips.

:)
This is a good answer actually. I have split my hardware into two bags for years.

Besides that, I can recommend Drumcraft CS-1 lightweight cymbal stands which I use with my micro kit (Ludwig Breakbeats). The CS-1 is light but double braced, and weighs 1.9kg (about 4lb).

I have gigged with cymbals up to 22" rides on them.
I have even run an 18" crash on it plus a 22" ride added on a Pearl clamp/arm (on the same stand).

vxla

Silver Member
I use the 5608 throne with the red Gibraltar Roc-n-Soc tractor style seat and it is much lighter than the 9000 series base that I hauled around for the longest time. It feels just as sturdy to me as using the heavier base. That base weighed as much as the rest of my hardware combined!

Thanks. Do you think the 5608 base will fit a 9000 or 9101 seat?