Talk me into or out of buying this kit

That's a pretty good price in the US, right? I'd probably do that and save $1000 - if you do a good job on the re-wrap you might get everything back if you should sell it eventually.

Essentially. I restored my dads 76 luds about ten years ago. Came out pretty decent.

Just need to think of what wrap I want, champagne or vintage blue pearl.

So it's reduced by 27% right now? I'd get it before someone else [opentune] buys it. :)
Unless you want to have them shipped to Precision or something like that to do the re-wrapping for you.

So it's reduced by 27% right now? I'd get it before someone else [opentune] buys it. :)
Unless you want to have them shipped to Precision or something like that to do the re-wrapping for you.
I'm torn, because this would replace my daily driver. And updating and polishing all the hardware as I did last time was a week long process. But the price it there for something I can make a project, have the cool edge, and essentially have another peice of history I could pass down to my son.

I'm torn, because this would replace my daily driver. And updating and polishing all the hardware as I did last time was a week long process. But the price it there for something I can make a project, have the cool edge, and essentially have another peice of history I could pass down to my son.
I would be hesitant of this kit. It's already been rewrapped. Mufflers have been removed. Some screws have been replaced already and the interiors have been painted. This is someone's project they are unloading. Why are the interiors painted? Hiding damage maybe? Why repro B/O badges? Its it really a B/O kit? Perhaps these were all orphans? Did they glue on the new wrap and can you remove it?

I dont like buying other people's projects. It's all a big unknown. I'd rather rehab what is known. If their work is shoddy you will be undoing and fixing that also.

I would be hesitant of this kit. It's already been rewrapped. Mufflers have been removed. Some screws have been replaced already and the interiors have been painted. This is someone's project they are unloading. Why are the interiors painted? Hiding damage maybe? Why repro B/O badges? Its it really a B/O kit? Perhaps these were all orphans? Did they glue on the new wrap and can you remove it?

I dont like buying other people's projects. It's all a big unknown. I'd rather rehab what is known. If their work is shoddy you will be undoing and fixing that also.
I messaged the seller and that is essentially the case. Its toms from almost a decade between. I’m not completely sure as the previous owner did the rewrap. I imagine it’s %100 adhesion on the back of the wrap.

I forgot to mention. DCP has a ludwig Keystone badge in champagne sparkle, 22/13/16/18 for $1600 I believe.

Oh the choices :/

Given you have drums to play right now and are therefore in no rush, I'd recommend continuing your search in the used market until you find an unmolested used or vintage kit in the sizes you want. Patience will pay... :)

Given you have drums to play right now and are therefore in no rush, I'd recommend continuing your search in the used market until you find an unmolested used or vintage kit in the sizes you want. Patience will pay... :)
That's very sensible. Thank you.

I bought a brand new custom ordered 3 pc CM last year in white glitter and the total of the 3 drums was $2100.. A blemished kit should be atleast $400 less than that IMO... Love the Luddy CM's though. Thinking about getting a 2nd luddy soon just not sure which one yet but the new Classic Oaks sound unreal. I was in DCP last week and played around on one and was highly impressed.

It's an ok deal but not a great deal. At that price-point, I'd pay the extra cash to get something factory fresh.

I'm a much bigger fan of sparkles than oyster, but that's just me.

Well, after some consideration... I think I am going to find a nice luddy CM or Legacy in 20/12/14 with the Sky Blue Pearl. I've been playing these sizes for a while now and feel most comfortable behind them and the 20" bass allows me better positioning on the rack tom, and allows a very versatile range of tone. Plus, if I wanted get a BIG sound, I can just use the old boy.

The hunt continues.

Well, after some consideration... I think I am going to find a nice luddy CM or Legacy in 20/12/14 with the Sky Blue Pearl. I've been playing these sizes for a while now and feel most comfortable behind them and the 20" bass allows me better positioning on the rack tom, and allows a very versatile range of tone. Plus, if I wanted get a BIG sound, I can just use the old boy.

The hunt continues.

Sounds like a good decision. Happy hunting.

I wouldn't particularly care about the blemishes. But I think Ludwig Classic Maples are way overpriced. There are much better kits for that kind of money (better sounding, better build quality). And I say that as a HUGE Ludwig fan.

I wouldn't particularly care about the blemishes. But I think Ludwig Classic Maples are way overpriced. There are much better kits for that kind of money (better sounding, better build quality). And I say that as a HUGE Ludwig fan.
Oh, I know. I have owned plenty of kits with great build quality but this is a "I think I deserve this because I paid off $14k in debt this year, I'm 33 and have worked my butt off and by god I might just do something nice for me!" kit.

You should first check out Ludwigs factory store on reverb.

They have a 4 piece classic maple kit for 2000 and another 4 piece kit fir 1699

Just new old stock.

Also. Check out the Ludwig Classic oak. I love kit and sweet water knocked 200 off the price

Back