Talk me into or out of buying this kit

bearblastbeats

Looking at a new kit and I'm heavily leaning towards Ludwig. I have a 76 Ludwig (14/18/24), which was my dads. You can look at old posts to see this if you care. I have retired this kit and will restore to original wrap one day when my son is old enough to carry the torch.

I currently use a Stage Custom (12/14/20), which is great, but I'm looking for a good in between kit.

I am considering either old or new Ludwig in either Champagne Sparkle or Black Oyster.

DCP has the Classic Maple 3pc B-stock in Black Oyster, 13/16/22. They want $1950 for the B-Stock because of minor blemishes.
https://www.drumcenternh.com/ludwig-classic-maple-3pc-fab-drum-set-22-13-16-vintage-black-oyster-b-stock-blowout

Is this worth the price or should I continue to hold out on something more used and cheaper? Maybe I can negotiate a price?

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
I'm if the opinion that if they can mark the kit down $1656.01 for minor blemishes, it's way overpriced to begin with and you can find a better deal. Take your ~$2000 and get something undamaged. That's a lot of drum to be had.

BonsaiMagpie

You'll look at the scratches and they'll annoy you, and nobody will want to buy it off you when you come to sell it because of the scratches.
I'm not really a tyre kicker, but I won't buy new things that are damaged, because the re-sell will be twice as hard. 2nd hand is a different matter, because I'm not paying the excess for being the 1st owner.

bearblastbeats

You'll look at the scratches and they'll annoy you, and nobody will want to buy it off you when you come to sell it because of the scratches.
I'm not really a tyre kicker, but I won't buy new things that are damaged, because the re-sell will be twice as hard. 2nd hand is a different matter, because I'm not paying the excess for being the 1st owner.
Makes a lot of sense.

Al Strange

Looking at a new kit and I'm heavily leaning towards Ludwig. I have a 76 Ludwig (14/18/24), which was my dads. You can look at old posts to see this if you care. I have retired this kit and will restore to original wrap one day when my son is old enough to carry the torch.

I currently use a Stage Custom (12/14/20), which is great, but I'm looking for a good in between kit.

I am considering either old or new Ludwig in either Champagne Sparkle or Black Oyster.

DCP has the Classic Maple 3pc B-stock in Black Oyster, 13/16/22. They want $1950 for the B-Stock because of minor blemishes.
https://www.drumcenternh.com/ludwig-classic-maple-3pc-fab-drum-set-22-13-16-vintage-black-oyster-b-stock-blowout

Is this worth the price or should I continue to hold out on something more used and cheaper? Maybe I can negotiate a price?
It’s a beautiful kit...why not be cheeky and offer them $1,600?! :unsure: ;)

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
Why would the drum be re-badged unless it was re-wrapped. Do you know what the scuffs are beside the badge. Ask for photos of the badge

bonerpizza

Silver Member
For $200 more you can get the kit without any blemishes from Guitar Center or get it in Oak for $1950 from Sweet Water , I'm sure if you call Sweet Water you can get a deal on the maple kit too.

I wouldn't spend that kind of money on a kit with blemishes, especially on top of the kick drum like that.

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
Tricky. I can't actually see the scuffs they're talking about in the pics, and black oyster pearl is pretty forgiving in that regard. So is $200 enough of a discount, or is perfect worth $200 more? The first time you scratch one of them you'd probably feel like you didn't need to spend the extra $200 for an A-stock kit.

If you've got the cash in hand and are ready to spend, call them. Call their competitors too. Ludwig has minimum advertised price agreements with their dealers but if you talk to an actual person and you have two grand at the ready, you might be able to work out a better deal. There's nothing to lose, really. Ringo kits aren't going out of style and they're certainly not going to raise the price if you call them.

bearblastbeats

Tricky. I can't actually see the scuffs they're talking about in the pics, and black oyster pearl is pretty forgiving in that regard. So is $200 enough of a discount, or is perfect worth $200 more? The first time you scratch one of them you'd probably feel like you didn't need to spend the extra $200 for an A-stock kit.

If you've got the cash in hand and are ready to spend, call them. Call their competitors too. Ludwig has minimum advertised price agreements with their dealers but if you talk to an actual person and you have two grand at the ready, you might be able to work out a better deal. There's nothing to lose, really. Ringo kits aren't going out of style and they're certainly not going to raise the price if you call them.
I have a good relationship with them an have spent a few 1000 for the better part of a decade. I'm surprised that they didn't offer me less for lifetime customer, or because this kit his been online for about a year I think.

bearblastbeats

Update. This guy countered my 1200 with 1450.

I found a legacy maple on there for 1750 with some rash but other wise good condition.

Both had the size I want but the BD was 18d, I want 14.

I'm thinking of that black ludwig because it has the sizes I want and could put a champagne sparkle on it.