talk about 'mr. cool'...

iwantmemoney

epic joy & fulfillment of purpose as a drummer! my son showed me this, and just watching this dude again gave me a huge blast of inspiration!

james gadson, the drummer, has been discussed on dw, but i just posted this for those who may not have checked it out.

this is a drum lesson!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIdIqbv7SPo

Those guys grew up playing in the Motown studios, where the amount of compression that they used on the tracks meant that they had to play that quietly to actually lay down a track - otherwise, they would peak all of the channels. Often blankets were laid on all the drums to further dampen everything, but it was a great sound.

Luke, I was looking at a couple of your videos earlier and I was thinking about the snare. It seems to me that a lot of younger drummers in your specific style (towards the 'extreme' side of meal) don't hit the drums hard because they're going for a lot of finger speed. I don't have an issue with that per se, but I do think that it can affect other areas of their playing when finger speed isn't required. This also seems true of you to some extent - this is noticeable on the 'Dubstep' mix video - I just don't think you're drawing quite enough from the snare. It's a case of being appropriate for the style of music you're playing.

You're a better drummer than the vast majority of people in your style - and I've said that before - I just think that you could become a more rounded player by just tweaking your technique when appropriate.

Totally irrelevant and I don't know if you're going to edit ... but that was a fine typo :)

Morgan Spurlock might be on my case if I do!

I always proof read. Guess that one got through. No point in editing - it's out there now!

you guys are funny and just as cool.

thanks for tony allen, pol - mr. beautiful smile and every bit as funkay.

To bring things back to Mr Gadson. He was one of my early inspirations. The Bill Withers' album 'Live at Carneigie Hall' is a joy and as well as featuring James Gadson has Bobbye Hall on percussion. If you haven't heard the album get it: it is a lesson in small group funk/soul.

I remember watching this a while ago and noticing that cool guy! How tempting must of it been to just go nuts on the drums, there's just so much tension built up in that song.

Sam

Back