Taking kick pedals on a plane

olliemedsy

I am travelling from England to Germany in a few days with a connecting flight in Amsterdam in between. I plan on taking my Pearl demon drives as hand luggage. I was thinking for security reasons putting the drive shaft, beaters and drum key in my check in luggage, so my case just has only the pedals in there.

Does anyone have any advice or experience with this? Thank you :)

Logic says, take the time to check everything.

Do you really want to be that guy who holds up the line trying to explain what you are trying to carry on and why you need to carry it?

Air travel has become more difficult but, it is what it is.

Mods please delete this thread immediately if not sooner.

This is all we need...well-meaning questioners giving Al Qaeda operatives new ideas.

I hope you feel proud of yourself olliemedsy when some deranged person runs amok with a set of Pearl Demon Drives. Our only hope is that the Forces of Good (tm) can arm themselves with sufficiently fast Speed Cobras.

Thanks for the help. -_-

You know, I've only posted on this forum a handful of times, because all I ever get is some drum snob giving me some "clever" answer. This is a legitimate question and I'm sure other people would be interested in knowing as there isn't really any information on this. No worries. I'll ask on the George Kollias forum. I'm sure I'll get a somewhat helpful response there.

Thanks for the help. -_-

You know, I've only posted on this forum a handful of times, because all I ever get is some drum snob giving me some "clever" answer. This is a legitimate question and I'm sure other people would be interested in knowing as there isn't really any information on this. No worries. I'll ask on the George Kollias forum. I'm sure I'll get a somewhat helpful response there.

I'm sure Al Q et al don't need us for clever ideas on how to satisfy the voices in their heads.

I was told by one airline taking a cymbal as hand luggage is ok. I would guess a pedal or parts of a pedal should be fine. Check with the airline.

I took a small, picollo snare, with stand and drum sticks on a plane with no issues.

Ignore those who woke up on the wrong side of the bed.

Some years ago I was flying back from Italy to the UK with cymbals, snare and kick pedal. On the way out I had checked everything, but had the pedal as carry-on for the way back. Long story short, even though the security staff knew what it was, I was not allowed to take the pedal as carry-on (it was just considered too big/heavy a metal object), and the extra time needed to add it to checked baggage meant that I missed the flight!

So, I would check with the airline, but if in doubt, err on the side of caution! Good luck. :)

Thanks for the help. -_-

If this was aimed at me, please accept my apologies. (If it was aimed at me, it was the 'drum snob' bit that threw me off.)

As you were flying from England to Germany I erroneously assumed you had a sense of humour.

My mistake.

I didn't realise it was a homeward journey for you.

Back