TAD's last release feat. yours truly

MikeM

Platinum Member
I only have this on 7" vinyl (which ensures that it never gets played) so I was stoked to find that someone had posted it - been years since I heard it. These performances and recording values are far from perfect as we just banged these out in an afternoon never thinking they would be used for anything other than pre-production / demos. Much to my disappointment, they got released anyway... now I'm kinda glad they did.

Accident On The Way To Church
Oppenheimer's Pretty Nightmare

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Wow, that made my breakfast go with a bang! Man, those tracks are a workout on drums. Although not the material for me, I thought the playing was right on the money. No holes barred power & presence. Good stuff Mike!

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
You're one of the most powerful and intense drummers I've heard, Mike. What an animal! Tight too. Bit of a Tool fan, eh? That tom thing at the start of Accident on the Way to Church with the stereo effects was something else.

Haven't heard you play a ballad yet :)

MikeM

Platinum Member
Thanks Andy and Polly. True enough; there are not a lot of ballads in my (public) repertoire. But I do practice along with prerecorded stuff quite a bit, so I get my ballad fix that way.

Maybe I should get one of them new-fangled video recordin thingamajobs and record myself playing to some Journey power-ballads or something just to see if I can pull it off.

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
Maybe I should get one of them new-fangled video recordin thingamajobs and record myself playing to some Journey power-ballads......
NEVER!!!

He who plays the heaviest wins!

Nice mate. Hea-vy. Took me back to the 90's......I think I'm still stuck there pining to be younger again.

MikeM

Platinum Member
I'm still stuck in '90s to a large degree, PFOG, tho I wouldn't mind being in an electro-pop band like The Naked and Famous... (current faves)

Thanks, DED! Those were the Ludwig Classics I had - not the Super Classics: these were poplar sandwiched between maple and thick. Sounded pretty good once tuned up, though. But that horrible splashy-sounding earsore? Yeah, that's a 19"A Custom!! Amazing how much that doesn't sound like it.

@Caddy - Yeah, that's the guy. I played with him from '96 - '99. I was the 4th (and last) drummer but the ship had already hit the iceberg before I came aboard so I got to ride it to the bottom! We did play pdx once or twice, though... I wish I was playing back when this show happened. That was a childhood friend of mine playing drums at the time. I think Tad was sick during this show as he often was.

Last edited:

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
Mike, what happened? "Ride to the bottom" and "Tad was sick ... as he often was". Did he have too much of a good time? The playing still seemed sharp on what you posted so I guess he still had something happening.

MikeM

Platinum Member
My reference to the sinking ship had to do with how huge TAD was right out of the gate in '89 and the band's slow fall from grace.

There was the whole Sub Pop thing going on with all the other bands (Soundgarden, Mudhoney, Nirvana, etc) and life was good. Then Nirvana broke big and, combined with the other local bands that had signed to majors that were getting unprecedented success, the waters were rising giving a major lift to all those core bands, including TAD.

Then they signed to major like everyone else (two, actually) and were eager to share in the riches and spoils that their contemporaries were enjoying. But due to a string of missteps and calamities (both internal and external), fortune and larger fame was not to be. So as they were getting dropped by their last label, management, publicist, guitar player, and finally their drummer... well, that's when I got the call.

They really were one of those seminal bands, but it was all short-lived and all the really good stuff happened before I got there. In fact, I was more of a footnote in their history, basking in their residual glory - which was still pretty dang cool; I got to play a some arena-sized venues to thousands both as headliners and as support for bands like Rage Against The Machine and Henry Rollins while touring through Europe. Not bad for a band doing a nosedive, right? But things petered out eventually and the band found a permanent berth a few miles below the iceberg.

Anyway, during their first tour of Europe with Nirvana, where they were co-headliners back in '89, Tad got sick a lot for whatever reason and Kurt Cobain stepped in to help the band through the set from time to time. Sometimes, they even played together:

Attachments

MikeM

Platinum Member
Tad still plays out in his band Brothers Of The Sonic Cloth. His wife plays bass and they've had a revolving door of drummers. Super slow and heavy as hell.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUJ1WojwDJY&feature=related

Occasionally, he gets to do fun one-offs like this TADgarden (Soundgarden - Cornell + Tad + Tom Morello) where he butchers a well-known vocal line:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cchMa9zMhzk

It's good to see that he's back in it for the fun and not trying to make a living at it.

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
My reference to the sinking ship had to do with how huge TAD was right out of the gate in '89 and the band's slow fall from grace.

There was the whole Sub Pop thing going on with all the other bands (Soundgarden, Mudhoney, Nirvana, etc) and life was good. Then Nirvana broke big and, combined with the other local bands that had signed to majors that were getting unprecedented success, the waters were rising giving a major lift to all those core bands, including TAD.

Then they signed to major like everyone else (two, actually) and were eager to share in the riches and spoils that their contemporaries were enjoying. But due to a string of missteps and calamities (both internal and external), fortune and larger fame was not to be. So as they were getting dropped by their last label, management, publicist, guitar player, and finally their drummer... well, that's when I got the call.

They really were one of those seminal bands, but it was all short-lived and all the really good stuff happened before I got there. In fact, I was more of a footnote in their history, basking in their residual glory - which was still pretty dang cool; I got to play a some arena-sized venues to thousands both as headliners and as support for bands like Rage Against The Machine and Henry Rollins while touring through Europe. Not bad for a band doing a nosedive, right? But things petered out eventually and the band found a permanent berth a few miles below the iceberg.

Anyway, during their first tour of Europe with Nirvana, where they were co-headliners back in '89, Tad got sick a lot for whatever reason and Kurt Cobain stepped in to help the band through the set from time to time. Sometimes, they even played together:
Interesting tale, Mike. Yep, being a footnote in their history is still dead cool, playing those major gigs. From what I've heard of you play, you did all anyone could do to keep things rocking ... but great drumming can't entirely carry an act if it's past its heyday.

How was the gig with RATM?