Tabledrummer's mutilated Pearl Export fusion kit

tabledrummer

Tabledrummer's re-forged Pearl Export Series Fusion kit

So, here are some pics of my Pearl Export kit. I removed the Ocean Blue wrap some time ago when we were recording the new Karelian Warcry album. That wrap really made me seasick. The shells are going to get some clear stain on them.

Pearl Export series fusion set:

rummutpurtilossa.png

rummutpurtilossa2.png

srhsfh.png

20x20" bass drum (I've changed the original hoops)
12x10" tom
14x14" floor tom

Snares:

10 x 6,18" Pearl Export Series Custom Made Wooden Snare (made from 10x8" tomtom)
14 x 5,5" Pearl Export Series Custom Made Wooden Snare (with added spring inside)
14 x 5" Pearl Chad Smith Signature Steel Snare

Last edited:
Had a mini freak out then, browsing through the forum and I see 'Tabledrummer' and misread it as my user name 'TableMuncher' and thought I'd postedthis thread, haha!

What cymbals are you using in he stacks? It looks like a nice set up :)

TM

Had a mini freak out then, browsing through the forum and I see 'Tabledrummer' and misread it as my user name 'TableMuncher' and thought I'd postedthis thread, haha!

What cymbals are you using in he stacks? It looks like a nice set up :)

TM

Thanks! Haha, I almost read that it was me who replied this thread!

The stacks I discovered during the recording-session:

17" Stagg DH Brilliant crash(cut) + 12" Meinl Classics Minichina (hammered & drilled)
18" Sabian XS Medium thin crash + 6,4" Bell (made from 17" Zildjian Z-Custom Rock Crash)
18" Sabian AA Medium crash (cut) + 14" Alchemy Pro A.R.T. top hat (cut) + random bells just for extra fun!
18" Sabian AAX Stage crash + 7" Meinl Byzance Splash inverted

and in the middle pic: 18" Meinl Classic China + 10" Paiste Aplha splash (cut)

Thanks! Haha, I almost read that it was me who replied this thread!

The stacks I discovered during the recording-session:

17" Stagg DH Brilliant crash(cut) + 12" Meinl Classics Minichina (hammered & drilled)
18" Sabian XS Medium thin crash + 6,4" Bell (made from 17" Zildjian Z-Custom Rock Crash)
18" Sabian AA Medium crash (cut) + 14" Alchemy Pro A.R.T. top hat (cut) + random bells just for extra fun!
18" Sabian AAX Stage crash + 7" Meinl Byzance Splash inverted

and in the middle pic: 18" Meinl Classic China + 10" Paiste Aplha splash (cut)

I was wondering what that was! I'd never seen a classics that had been hammered nevermind drilled, how does it sound? :)

TM

I was wondering what that was! I'd never seen a classics that had been hammered nevermind drilled, how does it sound? :)

TM

Hmmm, how to describe it... It's a bit darker and more thrashier than original. Also not so loud and "generic" as it used to be. It kind of sounds like an old steam machine or something similar to that. Perfect for a cymbal stack! I'll try to upload some soundclip if I get to drumtracks soon.

Wow man, that looks really good!!

Could you show us some closer pics of the shells?? I also have an old Export in a black wrap and I kinda like it, but I've been thinking of doing something like this for a long time.

Did you notice any sound change without the wrap?

Nice cymbals too.
Cheers!

Wow man, that looks really good!!

Could you show us some closer pics of the shells?? I also have an old Export in a black wrap and I kinda like it, but I've been thinking of doing something like this for a long time.

Did you notice any sound change without the wrap?

Nice cymbals too.
Cheers!

Thank you!

Here's a bass drum a bit closer without anything on the shells. There's also some more pics on my blog and I'll post more after I've finished the shells. 12 inch tom is already done.

Hmm, I think drums tone is more open, somewhat richer and warmer now without the wrap. Yep, it is much better now! :) The wrap seemed to be very thick, like a metal-plate for the roof or something like that. I went to this because I'd nothing to lose with this kit (and to save the money, but get kind-of-a-new-kit).

_DSC4049.JPG

When I read mutilated I assumed it was quip about the hodgepodge state of your set. This looks very nice without the wrap! I wouldn't normally expect the grain of any wrapped shell to look particularly good, but I guess I was wrong. Good luck with the staining and all that!

Phwoar that cuts a bit doesn't it? Haha, sounds great! :)

TM

Thank you! I was also surprised how greatly this thingy cuts through the mix.

When I read mutilated I assumed it was quip about the hodgepodge state of your set. This looks very nice without the wrap! I wouldn't normally expect the grain of any wrapped shell to look particularly good, but I guess I was wrong. Good luck with the staining and all that!

Thank you! I'll do my best. :)

Nice job, lots of sanding to get them that smooth and clean.

Thanks! Actually these shells almost didn't need sanding at all. It was amazingly smooth underneath and there was only two ugly gluestripes on the wood itself.

They look good, but you should definitely get some kind of coating on them to protect them a bit.

That floor tom looks like it's got layers and layers, awesome work. I'm piecing together a jungle kit, definitely going to stain it now that I've seen this.

That floor tom looks like it's got layers and layers, awesome work. I'm piecing together a jungle kit, definitely going to stain it now that I've seen this.

I scratched it a bit with a steel brush before staining, antique treatment I could say.. Too bad I didn't use the brush on the bass drum before staining. Nevertheless it isn't too late yet, I think. Stain is somewhat easy to remove and adding more later on is also possbile.

Good luck with your project!

Back