Tab Request...Future of Forestry's "Slow Your Breath Down"

I wasn't quite sure where to post this, so please don't filet me if this isn't the right forum and please direct me to someone/place that can help me out.

I really want to learn that first beat this guy is doing (hits at about 2:00), but I'm not a good enough drummer yet to figure it out on my own. I get the basic snare kick beat cuz that's obvious, but I don't know what he's doing on the hi-hat, so if anyone could tab it out...I'd be SO grateful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgLZZViOV2A

And if you don't mind, the 2nd beat tabbed would also be awesome, but I'm not as interested in this one and I think I could figure it out.

And oh yeah, what sticks is he using? Is it something that's offered by Vic Firth or did this guy just put eraser caps on the end of his sticks?

Thanks again.

Second one:

Played with the butt of his sticks, which have what I assume is the tip of a glockenspiel mallet.

No worries Mike, I've been working on transcribing lately so you're actually doing me a favour too. By 'not cleaned up' I meant that the bars aren't all aligned with eachother and there's no repeat sign, but all the information you need is there.

hm, as long as you're around, another question.

this is the first song i'll be attempting to learn where my right hand won't be hitting at regular intervals...is this the "right" way to start or are there other exercises for this that I should try to do in conjunction?

I'm sure I can figure it out, but I'm just wondering if there are other useful exercises for learning how to segregate the right hand from the rest of the limbs.

and to confirm, the hi-hat is opened up right after the first hit and closed right before the 2nd one, right?

thanks again

The hihat is opened on beat one and closed on beat two. The cross at the bottom of the staff indicates when to close your hihat with your foot, the open circle at the top indicates an open hihat.

If this is your first time playing anything other than straight quavers/semiquavers with the right hand, you might have a bit of trouble wrapping your limbs around it. For this specific beat, I'd suggest practicing it SLOW first, with a metronome. -And when I say slow, I mean "I'm bored out of my mind" slow. It'll take a while to get that odd right hand pattern to sit comfortably, so don't even bother trying to make it groove at first. Put the metronome to something like quaver = 80 and sit on that until it's comfortable, then bump it up by ~5 bpm at a time and eventually you'll get there.

It's also a great idea to practice some odd right hand patterns over everything you usually play. The way I started to learn this type of thing was by getting a book full of rock grooves (in my case it was Rhythm Section Drumming), and playing all of them over different right hand patterns, e.g play one of these rhythms with your right hand, and any regular kick/snare groove underneath.

In fact, you don't even need a book, just run through every groove you can think of (start simple!) and eventually you'll get to a stage where that particular pattern becomes comfortable and you can play pretty well any groove under it without having to slow it right down first.

If you do this, that Future of Forestry groove will become a lot (seperated for Polly) simpler to play. But if you really only care about learning that one groove, start stupid slow, and work your way up.

cool, thanks. I'll try that stuff.

not that you haven't done a lot already, but you wouldn't happen to have any musical examples of those hi-hat patterns would you? maybe songs or clips, etc. I can read music, but my ears are a lot better than my reading abilities...haha.

Tool - Sober is the first that comes to mind. The verse drum part has the top right pattern from the four I showed you before. The only difference is Carey opens the hats on the upbeats. i.e. his hihat part is:

Here's a clip:
http://www.drummerworld.com/Sound/dannycareysober.html

I'm sure there are other members here who have some good examples of similar hihat parts, but that's really the only one that springs immediately to mind for me.

That hihat pattern I like to use a lot actually, I've managed to sneak it into a couple of songs of a rock band I'm playing at the moment.

- - - - - -

The first pattern (top left), if you play it on the ride cymbal, is just a jazz swing beat, but played straight. I think for this reason it tends to be the easiest for people to get used to, as often they've already got some basic jazz independence with it that can be easily transferred over to a rock or funk context. The last two honestly aren't all that useful in a practical context, but are still good for coordination excercies.

- - - - - -

Once you get the hang of that, you can start working on hihat patterns in groups of three over 4/4, there's lots of fun to be had there, haha. Although it's even less useful in a practical way. You can see an example of this in this video, starting at 6:40:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s57FtD2HKLw

Back