T-Chad Blake (and other minimal mic) Recording method

dholz

I was wondering if anyone has tried the T-Chad Blake recording method. in a basic sense one use one large cardioid microphone mounted between the kick and rack toms with the cardioid pointed toward the snare and hats. as a drummer on a fairly low budget, i was wondering if this works well or would it be better to get a couple cheap over head mics and mount them above me.

if anyone has tried this or has any other minimal mic drum recording ideas feel free to share them.

Busy b

Re: T-Chad Blake(and other minimal mic) Recording method

It works for Tchad Blake! Plenty of bands/engineers use this method. Small diaphragm overheads will give you a more focused sound - and it's good when paired up with other mics (kick/snare). With large-diaphragm condenser mics, it's good to have the option to switch to different polar patterns. You will be able to record just about anything. You could get two of them and a stereo bar to create a larger sound. Almost as if you were standing in the same room.... pretty simple method.

This is a worthy subject to study up on... especially if you are taking a D.I.Y. approach in recording and playing music professionally.

dholz

Re: T-Chad Blake(and other minimal mic) Recording method

cool. the whole idea i want is good sounding drum recordings with low budget, so minimal mics sounds cool.